R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250GS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'd appreciate a lot some real life feedback on Gore-Tex gear regarding the waterproofness.

We're touring on road. I'm kind of fed up to keep a rainsuit in one of the cases and stop road side to put it on while it's raining when you hit the shower.

All companies have their own tech for waterproof gear but most are not very good and will eventually get you wet, which make the rainsuit mandatory on a tour.

We're looking into Klim gear, the Latitude jack and pants for me and Altitude series for the wife. So question: with that kind of gear, can I really leave the rainsuit forever at home? Will we stay dry through a 8 hour day in the rain? Is Gore-Tex really worth the investment?

All input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys,

Ride safe.

JFS.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Yes, it's entirely possible to stay dry wearing the proper riding suit. Klim makes great gear and so do many others. Check out Aerostitch/Rider Warehouse I've used their Darien suit for years and have never been wet even when riding a bike with no fairing or windshield. One thing I use is a Wind Triangle Basically a bandana, I put it on prior to a wet day. I pull it up to my chin before donning my helmet. This keeps water from entering around the riding suit neck closure.

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys,

I'd appreciate a lot some real life feedback on Gore-Tex gear regarding the waterproofness.

We're touring on road. I'm kind of fed up to keep a rainsuit in one of the cases and stop road side to put it on while it's raining when you hit the shower.

All companies have their own tech for waterproof gear but most are not very good and will eventually get you wet, which make the rainsuit mandatory on a tour.

We're looking into Klim gear, the Latitude jack and pants for me and Altitude series for the wife. So question: with that kind of gear, can I really leave the rainsuit forever at home? Will we stay dry through a 8 hour day in the rain? Is Gore-Tex really worth the investment?

Thanks a lot guys,

Ride safe.

JFS.
Both my wife and I have Klim gear and it's topnotch! Also, Daytona makes some of the best Gor-tex riding boots.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a pair of never worn Klim Latitude 38 Reg for sale. $400 CDN comes with all the D30 armour. Just too tight on me now due too Covid 19lbs. Purchased for this upcoming riding season....now need size 40.

·
Registered
2020 R1250GS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a pair of never worn Klim Latitude 38 Reg for sale. $400 CDN comes with all the D30 armour. Just too tight on me now due too Covid 19lbs. Purchased for this upcoming riding season....now need size 40.
Sorry... still a bit big for me, I'm more a 32... including the Covid extra pounds... But would've been a good deal, those are pricy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Klim or Stich, both are great and you won't go wrong with either one. If you can go to Aerostich in Duluth, MN and get a custom one then that is the very best option. When Klim comes out with their next year models the current ones are really discounted. I also have TCX and Sidi Gore-Tex boots. Only rain gear I carry are gloves for the summer season when I use mesh gloves.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Please take into consideration where you ride, how much does it rain because goretex being breathable and all will make you hot.
Rukka is another company you can look into....but over the years of riding I have concluded that no one gear will suffice for all kind of riding conditions......when its super hot you do need a mesh or super vented jacket.

·
Registered
2020 R1250GS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. So bottom line, Gore-Tex works as advertised and I can ditch the rain suit. I understand ventilation is regular vents opening, can't be worst than leathers. And I agree it won't replace a mesh in very hot summer days.

Aerostitch for me is difficult, there are no retailers that I know of in Canada. And it would make it difficult to return for an exchange. As opposed to Klim where many shop carry the brand, one right here in Montreal.

Thanks again fellas, my mind was pretty much made up, you're confirming things. I appreciate it.

Ride safe.

JFS.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Also tonsssss of KLIM gear comes for sale on advrider. If you are on a budget you can look there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Goretex is guaranteed to keep you dry for the life of the product. I have a pair of BMW Goretex motorcycle boots which are going strong into their tenth year. With other waterproof membranes you are definitely taking more of a risk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Will say that I purchased Klim Badlands suit used and loved it, but got a little wet in a 2 hour downpour. After the trip, reached out to Klim. They asked me to send in and the replace with newer version, free of charge. Did I mention I didn't buy new? I mean that is customer service. I've bought lots of additional Klim gear and everyday jackets from them as their stuff is top notch. And the second Badlands suit has performed flawlessly in 2 separate downpours.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Klim Hardanger and Klim Badlands are IMHO the best, I use them for different days and different riding. Both are totally waterproof and moreover when the heat comes have more vents than you can shake a stick at....that actually work. Moreover, after an issue with the Hardanger very early on, their Customer Service proved to be second to none. Boots, again for me was a no brainer. Again not a cheap solution but the Daytona Boots are, for me, the best. Have been through several of those nasty torrential standing under a power shower all day rides wearing either of the Klim Suits and the Daytona Boots without a drop getting through.

One word of caution. Klims come unlined. I like that as it gives me the freedom to pick what suits me without having to pay for liners which often end up in a corner somewhere never to see the light of day. My wife has Klim Latitude specifically for ladies and rates it very highly for fit, finish and waterproofness. Enjoy whatever you buy ;-)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Klim Apex jacket Latitude pants. I stay dry.

Even though Gore-Tex "breathes", I can't wear this clothing above 80 degrees tops. I have separate summer gear and pack a rain suit. It can be a challenge deciding what to pack/wear when traveling. Sometimes I wear my Klim gear, manage to pack my summer mesh jacket in a seat bag behind me. If it gets too hot I'll swap jackets but keep wearing the Klim pants. I have to strap the Apex jacket onto the passenger seat but the set up works.

·
Registered
2020 R1250GS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One word of caution. Klims come unlined. I like that as it gives me the freedom to pick what suits me without having to pay for liners which often end up in a corner somewhere never to see the light of day. My wife has Klim Latitude specifically for ladies and rates it very highly for fit, finish and waterproofness. Enjoy whatever you buy ;-)
100% agree.

I ordered last night a Latitude jacket and pants for me and an Altitude jacket and pants for the wife. Based on the sizing chart, I'm the usual medium for top and 32 reg for bottom. I hope we did the measurement correctly for the wife, especially for the pants. That's why I insist on buying locally (online but in Canada) for easier returns and exchange.

Thanks again guys,

JFS.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sizing is always a bit of a lottery but once you get that sorted the Klim gear will serve you well. Enjoy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is a YouTube channel named “FortNine”, and one of their videos directly addresses your initial question, if Goretex is worth it. It’s a rather scientific presentation, with not even a hint of vendor influence.

I wear the klim latitude jacket and pants. With all the waterproof zippers fully closed, I find it to be 100% waterproof In the worst driving rain. (A good windshield helps.). Klim quality, fit, D30 armor, and sizing are excellent, IMHO. Size medium in both garments fits me very well; I‘m 6 ft, with a 40 chest, 34 waist, 32 inseam. Peace of mind and comfort are worth a lot on a long ride.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2020 R1250GS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is a YouTube channel named “FortNine”, and one of their videos directly addresses your initial question, if Goretex is worth it. It’s a rather scientific presentation, with not even a hint of vendor influence.

I wear the klim latitude jacket and pants. With all the waterproof zippers fully closed, I find it to be 100% waterproof In the worst driving rain. (A good windshield helps.). Klim quality, fit, D30 armor, and sizing are excellent, IMHO. Size medium in both garments fits me very well; I‘m 6 ft, with a 40 chest, 34 waist, 32 inseam. Peace of mind and comfort are worth a lot on a long ride.

Good luck.
Yeah I know the guy and the video. I actually ordered my kit from Fortnine. I purchased a lot of gear from them over the years, even when they were Canada's Motorcycle (before they changed the name). His tests are cool but in a lab. His pump idea makes sense, but nothing compares to real life experience. Your second paragraph is exactly what I wanted to read.

Rush_2112 also had a great point on Gore-Tex warranty, if of course there is no damage.

In the "might as well" category, I also ordered a pair of Adventure GTX gloves...

Anyways thanks again guys.I

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot guys,

Ride safe.

JFS.
I have had several replacement sets of Firstgear Kilimanjaro and all have leaked .. .. .. now I'm running Klim Baldlands jacket and Aerostich AD1 pants (full side zipper).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot guys,

Ride safe.

JFS.
I have had the Klim latitude Jac key and pants, find them 100% waterproof. Only place I get w8th
et is if water drips off my helmet and down my neck
Expensive but awsome. Also a bit warm in hot weather

·
Registered
47 Posts
Okay, I’ll be the outlier. For the record, I walked away from a 60mph takedown on my morning commute, largely without trauma beyond my concussion, and I credit that good outcome to my gear and incredible luck. ATGAT.

#1 Your jacket and pants are there to save your hide and bones in a get-off, and the only 2 coverings that will do that are leather and high heat resistant fabrics, like Kevlar and a couple of other proprietary brands from Japan and Germany. We all know leather’s limitations, like it has nearly zero abrasion resistance when wet, and its incredible hotness in hot, sunny weather.

#2 Codura is not a high heat resistant fabric, nor is polyester, nor is nylon; these polymers are all called thermoplastics because they are used by melting them into liquid form. These all melt at ~>140° which is well below the temperatures generated during a slide on tarmac. Melting also means they melt into your exposed skin, which = skin graft surgery — that is if the abrasion doesn’t burn through the fabric, then your skin, and into your bone. Klim and Aerostitch use Cordura. These fabrics require either a coating (urethane) or a bonded film (GoreTex) in order for the very slippery and round fabric fibers to keep from unraveling in normal use, hence you’ll notice that nearly EVERY Moto jacket has some whiz-bang waterproofing (to keep it from coming apart).

#3 GoreTex has lost its patent, so there are other comparable and cheaper options available. In any case, I’ve used GoreTex since the very 1st jacket was made with it and it has proven to deliver a lot less than it promised. Its promises are made under very specific laboratory conditions, namely there must be a temperature difference and a humidity difference between the inside and the outside in order for the water vapor to push thru the membrane. Remember, we sweat no matter what. So, in warm and humid weather, the fabric‘s claims diminish, eventually down to zero or possibly even negative. On the other hand, in cool, windy, lower humidity conditions, the moisture drive away from the interior will work and you’ll be happy. In the South, during summer, GoreTex is a real bummer, its a frickin’ plastic bag under your jacket. The last ugly detail is that even though things may be too warm to shut down the moisture drive, we continue to sweat, and eventually in places with warm days and cool evenings, like the mountains and out West, that interior clamminess will become very chilly and wet, which can bring on hypothermia.

#4 Because of #3, choose a system of separates, then you have the flexibility you need — a one-size-fits-all solution BLOWS In 99% of the uses. Personally, I like the cheapo PVC rain suits or one-piece moto fitted suits that pull on over the protective gear -- easy on, easy off, and I don’t sweat to death. In a get-off, it will get shredded, but who cares, it’s the real Moto gear underneath that counts. Added benefit is that rainsuit is easily washable and keeps the gnarly wet road grime off of the nice real riding gear.

#5 I use Motoport, which is all Kevlar. The stretch version is the only textile sanctioned for race use by the AMA. My suit is the mesh version, and with the full-torso armor, mesh with a variety of under layers is the right choice IMO, even in sub freezing temps. For now, I use my GoreTex type fabrics underneath because they are what I have. This solves all of the above challenges.

#6 Motoport is 100% custom made for you, and that’s for pretty much the same price. It just doesn’t have the name recognition, but it is what most of the police motor patrols are buying now. It saved my hide and its all I’ll use.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts