R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member of the forum. I am going to be getting a BMW 1200 GSA soon. I have always been a Harley Touring bike owner. I currently have a 2012 Street Glide that I will sell once things get back to normal.

I have been doing some research on these bikes and it looks like a lot of changes were done to these bikes in 2014. Can I get some input on what years to start looking for to get the most bang for my buck?? I am hoping to spend between 10,000 - 12,000, so that might not allow me to get a 2014 or newer. I really like the GPS Nav options on the 2014, but there are probably other ways around that.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Welcome. More features on the 2013 and up when they went water cooled...some would argue the oil cooled were more reliable (i.e. less electronics). Your budget should be in range for 13 & up depending on mileage. See lots of 1200GSAs with over 100,000 miles when well maintained.

Here is a good article on 2013 changes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply and the link. These bikes are foreign to me. I really want the dual purpose bike. To be able to your and even camp off road. Better way to see America in my opinion.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Absolutely. The GS is great on gravel and fire roads and handle decent in twisties too. Just stay out of sand and mud!

·
2018 R1200GSA
42 Posts
You will love the GS. I was a long time Harley rider and but my first BMW in 2017. Had 5 Harleys over my riding career and now have two BMW;s. A K1600GTL and a R1200GSA. The GSA is the best all purpose motorcycle there is. It is a lot of fun to ride and it will hold a ton of crap for camping, tours, etc. BTW, I am in Fort Mill, SC. Where in NC are you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in Cary, NC. Right next to Raleigh, which is the capital of NC. I've ride for some pretty long trips on Harley's, 2600 miles was my longest. Although I didn't want to ride for a week or two after that. I have seen YouTube reviews of riders saying that there is nothing that compares to the BMW 1200GS in comfort for all day riding.

My goal is too set up a GSA for touring, camping and commuting.

·
2018 R1200GSA
42 Posts
You will love it. I have only gone on one camping trip to date but plan on doing some more when we all get back to normal. I am doing my first long road trip on the GSA this summer as long as Sturgis is happening. Estimated round trip mileage to be over 6,000 miles over 12 days. I have done this on the GTL but not the GSA.

·
Registered
206 Posts
To me the Hexhead GS's are the best bang for your buck. Clean examples can be had for a fraction of you budget and they are great bikes with limited technology that are still user friendly to work on at home. They are also about 40 pounds lighter than the GS's before and after.

Also while the extra fuel capacity of the GSA is nice it is something that is not often or ever needed. If you are good with a 240 +/- mile fuel range a standard GS will save you money.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Neighbor !!! I am also in Cary, Might see me riding around on my 2020 R1250 GSA...I plan a lot of traveling in the near future...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds good Joe, I will reach out when I get a deal done. I'm new to this style of bike, but looking forward to touring and camping off this next bike.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Just a couple of suggestions. Look into joining the MOA (Motorcycle Owners of America) and/or RA (Riders Association) both have rallies and gatherings of like minded people and area great time.

It would also be worth your time to check out the BMW Performance Center Training offered in Greer, SC. One and two day training sessions available to get you started riding on all types of surfaces, They also offer big discounts to MOA or RA members. Plus you can rent one of their bikes to train on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am a new member of the forum. I am going to be getting a BMW 1200 GSA soon. I have always been a Harley Touring bike owner. I currently have a 2012 Street Glide that I will sell once things get back to normal.

I have been doing some research on these bikes and it looks like a lot of changes were done to these bikes in 2014. Can I get some input on what years to start looking for to get the most bang for my buck?? I am hoping to spend between 10,000 - 12,000, so that might not allow me to get a 2014 or newer. I really like the GPS Nav options on the 2014, but there are probably other ways around that.

The 1200GS’s are all pretty great to ride. I have an old one without the ESA(electronic suspension). If you are sometimes riding 2 up, it’s really nice to have to switch your set up. I have a touring bike that I use for that so I don’t miss not having it at all. You can find good deals on late model, gently used ones if you’re patient. I recommend saving a part of your budget for farkles(aftermarket stuff) so you can set it up just the way you want. I have a Garmin gps(for motorcycles) that has Bluetooth, extra lights and stuff and still love my GS.

·
Registered
21 Posts

The 1200GS’s are all pretty great to ride. I have an old one without the ESA(electronic suspension). If you are sometimes riding 2 up, it’s really nice to have to switch your set up. I have a touring bike that I use for that so I don’t miss not having it at all. You can find good deals on late model, gently used ones if you’re patient. I recommend saving a part of your budget for farkles(aftermarket stuff) so you can set it up just the way you want. I have a Garmin gps(for motorcycles) that has Bluetooth, extra lights and stuff and still love my GS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also from Fort Mill, recently moved from a 2017 F800gs to a 2019 R1250gsa. If anyone is in the Charlotte area and want to meet up for a ride one weekend, hit me up.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Also from Fort Mill, recently moved from a 2017 F800gs to a 2019 R1250gsa. If anyone is in the Charlotte area and want to meet up for a ride one weekend, hit me up.
There is a group out of Charlotte that meets on the second and fourth Sundays each month for breakfast and a ride.

And also a group out of North Mecklenburg county with a few riders out of Fort Mill area that ride together. Despite the name, there are a bunch of BMW, KTM and other European marcs represented.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts