R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everybody -

Brand new here, really enjoy lurking and I've got a question.

Over the last 3 or 4 months, I've developed what most shrinks (and spouses) would call an unhealthy obsession with the GS.

What I'd like to know is how did all the married, current non-motorcycle owners get the 'blessing?'

Grew up riding and spent a bunch of years skydiving - just want to get out and have some fun again!!

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

db in AZ

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm semi retired, but work 4 days a week at a motorcycle shop so I have to ride part time too for work. But I have 3 days off in a row. Day one is taking care of the house. Day two is all hers to choose what we do. Day three is mine to ride, ride, ride!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the replies - I've been married for almost 18 years (same bride) and I'm well versed in filling the savings and retirement accounts before any fun purchases can take place. Also very good at getting the 'honey do' list done and spending lots of time with my Mrs.

Guess that I should have clarified my question - what the Mrs. (and daughter) fear is a visit from the boogyman. All I hear are how dangerous..... blah blah blah. My triathlon training would consist of 100+ miles on a carbon fiber bike at 18-20 MPH. I need to convince them that its way safer to have a throttle!

Please help - I want to get a GS and ride with the members of this forum!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Sitting on the couch being safe isn't living. Any sport has its inherent dangers, but with age comes wisdom. I'd pull some statistics showing how mature MC riders are much less prone to accidents!

·
Registered
1 Posts
GS Wife

Actually I was very lucky. I had sold my RT a couple of years ago and had been looking for new a new bike. Would go into the local BMW shop and my wife would say, which one do you like. Would tell her and she would say buy. You should have seen the look on the salesmen. I would just walk out. I just did not want to spend the money. But a couple of Saturdays ago, early in morn, was looking at the local dealers site and a loaded 2013 1200GS popped up at a great price. Got there shortly after opening and bought it. 20 mins later another guy showed up and wanted to buy it. 30 mins later another guy showed up wanting it.

Had a 2005 1200GS and sold it to buy a 2007 RT. Thought I wanted more wind protection. But always missed the GS.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've been a paramedic for almost 30 years in a busy urban system. A relative once asked me how I can ride given what I have seen. My reply was that I would have to give up crossing the street, bicycling and driving too. I just can't sit in the recliner and wait for death and accept the risk associated with it just as I would any other active sport. Golfers are at increased risk of lightening strikes.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Fisherman on 2 wheels!
162 Posts
Include her! Easy!
I applied Poppy's theory and let me tell you it works. The only problem is that now she wants her own 650 GS.

In my case I waited for the dealer demo 1200 GS to go on sale (loaded) and the price was so ridiculous that she gave me the tip of the hat to press the button. :grin2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sitting on the couch being safe isn't living. Any sport has its inherent dangers, but with age comes wisdom. I'd pull some statistics showing how mature MC riders are much less prone to accidents!
EXACTLY what I'm looking for!! Can you point me in the right direction please?

I was out in the desert with shotguns and birds today and nobody got hurt - except for the birds!! Wife still thinks shotguns are dangerous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been a paramedic for almost 30 years in a busy urban system. A relative once asked me how I can ride given what I have seen. My reply was that I would have to give up crossing the street, bicycling and driving too. I just can't sit in the recliner and wait for death and accept the risk associated with it just as I would any other active sport. Golfers are at increased risk of lightening strikes.
I agree totally. Wifey (also a medical provider) is taking her stance based on the fact that she saw some 20-25 year old douchebag jet across traffic with a holeshot, then raise his wheel while in her lane and slam the pickup truck in front of him and her. Egro, bikes are the devil!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I agree totally. Wifey (also a medical provider) is taking her stance based on the fact that she saw some 20-25 year old douchebag jet across traffic with a holeshot, then raise his wheel while in her lane and slam the pickup truck in front of him and her. Egro, bikes are the devil!!
A couple of weeks ago four young males in a car crashed through a concrete road barrier, flew 104' and hit the side of a building 15' above ground level. They all burned to death if the impact didn't kill them. I'm not selling my car.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts