R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 GS1200R. Bought used from a dealer Oct 2021.

It has the ESA shocks front and rear, but no ability change the settings because it lacks the appropriate button on the left hand bar.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Fuel tank

Would the bike have left BMW like this? ESA hardware installed without the controls? Even the LCD screen has the outline of the various helmet positions.

Thx in advance.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
You will have a button on the left handlebars which shows a spring.
Like Cboothe said a picture of the handlebars would be helpful.
The LCD screen is common....even my 2018 which has an auto ESA still shows outlines of the helmet etc.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Interesting
The esa adjuster should be under the abs switch, either it's not there or the spring has rubed off

But it should be under the abs switch

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it's a one-way button only for abs on and off.

I'm just going to have to take it apart and see if the internals or even there which I highly doubt. I suspect it was replaced at some point with the wrong switch

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,183 Posts
It's quite possible this bike is a non-ESA version, and someone replaced the rear shock with one from an ESA model.

As Jeff In W.C. states run the VIN or have a BKW dealer run the VIN and it'll tell you how it left the factory. A GS911 will also be able to tell you how it was configured from the factory.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 2013 had a recall on the switchgear years ago and it was replaced. Perhaps yours was too, but with the wrong switchgear.

edit: Just checked on mine and below ABS it says ESA. You should still be able to use the mode button on the right switchgear to access the modes which come with their own default ESA settings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update......

After speaking to my local BMW dealer who helped research my VIN history, I was able to determine my bike (now in Florida) was purchased in Raleigh, N.C.

I spoke with the Svc Manager in Raleigh, who determined the switch was replaced by that dealership shortly after its purchase, with the incorrect switch. Why the P.O. didnt say anything is a mystery.

The service manager is ordering the correct switch, so ill be able to access the ESA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a follow-up to close out this thread. I just returned from Raleigh and Garcia BMW dealership replaced the incorrect switch with the correct one. The ESA system works perfectly.

I can't say enough about their customer service. While I'm the second owner of the bike they recognize the error and fixed it, 10 years later. And while it was a haul to get up there my wife and I took advantage of weekend we had and had a wonderful time in Raleigh.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts