R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey to all you adventure bike riders. I currently own/ride a 2013 K1600GT and an S1000R.

Some history...started riding two up with dad when I was 6 on his street bikes. First a Honda 750Four, then a BMW R75, then a BMW R90. I started riding dirt bikes when I was 8. Honda SL70, then a Honda XL175 when I got to be 12. Got a Suzuki GS450 for my first street bike. Rode til I was @ 21 or 22, sometimes as a daily commuter. Riding became transportation, and not fun. Didn't ride again til I was 45ish.

My first bike back in the saddle a 2013

3 years later...the bike had @4K miles on it when this pic taken...I was on a ride with a K1600 group...

Made the mistake of riding a buds K1600 in the twisties, and 2 months later, the Harley was gone, and this replaced it...2013 K1600GT (current)

I like to go fast and ride the curves, so did the California Superbike School...level 1 and 2 last year, level 3 and 4 this past spring.

Added this last year...2016 Single R

I even "tracked" the big girl a few weeks ago...

Girlfriend likes to ride...

So...the single R stays for now...

Tomorrow I leave for Maggie Valley NC to ride off road/dual sport first time. I have not been in the dirt since I was a kid. Borrowed a buddy's 2008 1200GSA. Off road tires...girlfriend riding with me. We're trailering the 5.5 hours up. Only have about an hour's time on road in some twisties on this bike riding it home when I went to pick it up. I like it ok so far but front end seems to flex similar to the 1600 in the twisties...wondering if a newer bike with more adjustable suspension will be better? Since getting on the sport bikes, the K1600 feels really big...cuz it is...though it seemed like a sport bike at the time after coming off the full dresser HD. So...got a feeling...the 1600 will be traded on a 1200GSA or a Ducati Multistrada before next riding season...if it weren't for the girlfriend, I might go with a S1000XR, but don't feel like that will be sufficient for 2 up spirited twisties riding with luggage.

My buddy that loaned me the 2008 GSA has a 2015 GSA, and a Multistrada too. So, I can ride both...he started selling me on the advantages of the 1200 over the Multistrada...so I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Torque

I'm all about the torque. My favorite roads are goat roads and the GS has power way down low and I seldom exceed 6K RPM. Multistrada has decent low end power, but it's more about horsepower than torque. All depends on where you ride. Big sweepers seems a Multistrada would be a better bike, unless there's a fire road on the way :wink2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm all about the torque. My favorite roads are goat roads and the GS has power way down low and I seldom exceed 6K RPM. Multistrada has decent low end power, but it's more about horsepower than torque. All depends on where you ride. Big sweepers seems a Multistrada would be a better bike, unless there's a fire road on the way :wink2:
I'm sure I wrote too much and went way to pic heavy in my first post...causing little reply. Oh well...

Thanks for yours.

Rode a day and a half around the Cherokee NC area. I don't know how you'd rate level of difficulty, but doubt our roads were terribly skill challenging, but I had lots of fun, and the girlfriend enjoyed too. Definitely a change of pace, literally and figuratively. Liked the bike I borrowed, and saw where it was very nimble in the twisties, and yet provides an extra dimension of off road adventure too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jim,

I followed your story over on the k1600 forum when you switched from the Harley to the K1600.

I'm picking up a 12 GSA in the next couple days. The owner has some paperwork to get worked out and the deal will be done. I'll be adding it to the stable and not getting rid of my K1600. While I think the GS is a great bike, for me it's no replacement for the K1600. I'm buying mine for more dirt work than street, hence my position.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim,

I followed your story over on the k1600 forum when you switched from the Harley to the K1600.

I'm picking up a 12 GSA in the next couple days. The owner has some paperwork to get worked out and the deal will be done. I'll be adding it to the stable and not getting rid of my K1600. While I think the GS is a great bike, for me it's no replacement for the K1600. I'm buying mine for more dirt work than street, hence my position.

Good luck.

I'd love to have both. Actually, after reflection, I'm not sure I can give up the 1600 just yet, and since I don't have to...I'll probably keep it until I can have both. LOL Unless I don't. LOL I'm very impulsive! I did enjoy the different riding off road though. It would be cool to always have that option.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd love to have both. Actually, after reflection, I'm not sure I can give up the 1600 just yet, and since I don't have to...I'll probably keep it until I can have both. LOL Unless I don't. LOL I'm very impulsive! I did enjoy the different riding off road though. It would be cool to always have that option.
I look at motorcycles like tools. When I want to take off on some forest service roads or other mountainous trails etc.. the GS is the tool for the job. When I want to eat up some pavement, take a long road trip, or just go get my hooligan on.. the K1600 is the bike I'll throw a leg over.

On edit..
They are not like women, one bike won't get jealous of another in the garage!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Jim, I remember you from the TTD ride. I left the K1600GTL behind for a 206 R1200GS. Love the GS for all the reasons I left the BIG K. I find the ride far better suited to my needs than the K. Wish I could have 2 bikes in my garage, but at this point in my life...not yet. The second one would not be the K, maybe a Triumph Bonneville.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim, I remember you from the TTD ride. I left the K1600GTL behind for a 206 R1200GS. Love the GS for all the reasons I left the BIG K. I find the ride far better suited to my needs than the K. Wish I could have 2 bikes in my garage, but at this point in my life...not yet. The second one would not be the K, maybe a Triumph Bonneville.
I currently have 2. The K16 and the S1KR. The K16 is paid for, which is a big deal. Only has 23K mi, with only one scuff on it. It's a good looking bike, and very comfy to ride. When I first got on the K16 it felt light and nimble coming off the full dresser HD. After being on the S1KR...not so much. I can have two...can't do 3. After pricing, and talking trade...I just don't think I'm ready to part with the K16 quite yet, but do really like the GSA. I don't ride much, if at all, during football and hunting season (Oct. - Feb). So, If I hold off another month, the desire will subside I think...for a while. Then it will be time for TTD again, and I'll be totally content with my ride. LOL Unless I'm not. :grin2: Oh, and I've yet to ride the Multistrada, so that may throw a kink in things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Riding season (for me) is over since I took that ride to Maggie Valley in Sep. The 1600 needs a new set of rubber. The S1000R needs a service. I waffle back and forth on trading the 1600 or not. I keep thinking the GSA will do everything the 1600 will do, just a little different. Cons: less torque, less HP, no audio system, slightly less over-all creature an physical comforts. Pros: plenty of passenger space, plenty of luggage capacity, lighter weight, more nimble, more versitile.

Can anybody help add to either pro or con lists?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Sena

I can't afford or justify a garage full of bikes and my wife would disapprove as well :) So The 1974 Norton sits in the corner looking pretty with the occasional beauty stroll around the block, but BMW 1200GS has always been my go to ride. I gravitate towards the gnarliest goat roads and the GS shines on off camber uphill turns that give most bikes fits. But when a section of high speed sweepers is mixed in the GS just picks up its skirts and the suspension settles in. And if a dirt road is in the mix, no problem!

For music Sena headset

HWY 129 chasing Kawasaki 1000

·
Registered
279 Posts
Riding season (for me) is over since I took that ride to Maggie Valley in Sep. The 1600 needs a new set of rubber. The S1000R needs a service. I waffle back and forth on trading the 1600 or not. I keep thinking the GSA will do everything the 1600 will do, just a little different. Cons: less torque, less HP, no audio system, slightly less over-all creature an physical comforts. Pros: plenty of passenger space, plenty of luggage capacity, lighter weight, more nimble, more versitile.

Can anybody help add to either pro or con lists?
As far a audio goes, I see you have Bluetooth helmets (at least in 1 picture). I run my phone (playlist or Pandora) through the Nav Vi or I can save music files directly to the Nav and play them from there. I do miss Sirius sometimes (when the game is on).

I find the torque and hp are very adequate for the job, but I don't ride 2-up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
hey, from your detailed first post and pictures, it is apparent (at least to me) that you do not need any help at all.

So just buy the GS or GSA and then YOU tell us what you think.
0:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey, from your detailed first post and pictures, it is apparent (at least to me) that you do not need any help at all.

So just buy the GS or GSA and then YOU tell us what you think.
0:)
I like to share...sorry. Unfortunately, I can't keep the 1600 and get a GSA...maybe some day.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like to share...sorry. Unfortunately, I can't keep the 1600 and get a GSA...maybe some day.
How can we give a comparison between a GSA and something which we probably don't own and ride (Multistrada)?

All we bitch about is how great our choice was. So realistically only your friend can do that.

I also like the Multistrada on paper. But experience here tells us that Ducatis and any Italian bikes are usually in the garage more than on the roads. Of course Italian bike owners will skin me for saying this but I have met enough of them honest enough to admit this to me.

Would I ride a Duc? Yes. Would I own one? No.

See? That's my unauthorized opinion.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How can we give a comparison between a GSA and something which we probably don't own and ride (Multistrada)?

All we bitch about is how great our choice was. So realistically only your friend can do that.

I also like the Multistrada on paper. But experience here tells us that Ducatis and any Italian bikes are usually in the garage more than on the roads. Of course Italian bike owners will skin me for saying this but I have met enough of them honest enough to admit this to me.

Would I ride a Duc? Yes. Would I own one? No.

See? That's my unauthorized opinion.

Just a clarification...I asked for thoughts and opinions relating to the GSA not "help"...I can tell from the forum name this place is for riders of said motorcycle. I mentioned the Ducati in my question. But your thoughts...WHATEVER they are on the subject matter...are yours to have and I asked you to share them. I did NOT ask for "help"...I asked for thoughts and opinions in order to gather information to make my own decisions. I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just a clarification...I asked for thoughts and opinions relating to the GSA not "help"...I can tell from the forum name this place is for riders of said motorcycle. I mentioned the Ducati in my question. But your thoughts...WHATEVER they are on the subject matter...are yours to have and I asked you to share them. I did NOT ask for "help"...I asked for thoughts and opinions in order to gather information to make my own decisions. I appreciate your input.
Here you go Jim. Look what I found for you.

https://youtu.be/xt8aRGjbgkQ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts