R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local 2007 bmw gs 1200 adv. with 95k. It has had service with new clutch in the last 5k. He wants for 4K. Looking for advice on whether to buy it or what to look for on it and if it is priced fairly? Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Price seems in the correct range but there are other variables that would be as or more important such as service records. Does it look ragged or well cared for, one owner or multi, smooth running or not, wear consumables fresh or on their last legs, etc.

As an afterthought: Is it leaking anything anywhere? Take a bright flashlight and a rag to inspect. Check fluid levels. Who did the clutch, reputable or not so much?

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the seller has the book with service stamps and records, and there are no obvious problems, I think yes! A fair price in my opinion.

·
Survivor
684 Posts
If the seller has the book with service stamps and records, and there are no obvious problems, I think yes! A fair price in my opinion.
Stamps in a book is kinda 1950s. Every time a BMW motorcycle is seen at a BMW dealer's service department for any reason (warranty, recall, service bulletin, damage repair or scheduled maintenance) there is a computer record generated. Every dealer has access to the records of every bike. All it takes is the VIN. I would ask the seller to get it. But if you bought a bike from me you would be getting a well maintained machine with virtually no records at BMW. My bikes are only seen by a dealer for recalls, so what you see, smell, hear and feel are more important than a written record. If you are unsure of what to look for then find someone that is more knowledgeable. 07s were subject to final drive issues so that should be well examined. Look for play in the bearing and/or indication of oil leakage. There were recalls to replace the electronic ignition immobilizer, rear wheel flange and fuel quick disconnects (or reinforce them). They also had a software update to make them run better on 87 octane fuel. (these all applied to 07 RTs and Rs and I am assuming they applied to the GS as well).

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm not saying a 13 year old GSA with 95,000 miles on it is not worth $4,000 but I can tell you i would not consider paying anywhere near $4,000 for it. I also do not know you geographic location so that might be a driving factor??

The new clutch doesn't add any value it only makes it a rider instead of a parts bike.

The big value retainers of the bike is the spoke wheels and the GSA fuel tank assembly. The rest of the parts are higher mileage there is just not a big demand for rear drives, transmissions, engines or suspensions with 95K on them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think it would be fair to say that at 95,000 miles and after 13 years this bike is well past it's best. I had a friend to tried to trade in a VFR750 many years ago with that sort of mileage and was offered only scrap value even though the VFR has a good reputation for high mileage reliability.

At that mileage things WILL begin to fail and as we all know BMW parts are notoriously expensive. Personally I would walk away.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree with Maturerider : at this mileage the engine may well be capable to add another 50.000 miles if well maintained, but the more expensive parts will start to fail : suspension, clutch, brakediscs, crankshaft, etc.

You may well be USD 3.500 out of pocket to fix those things which would make this high mileage bike a rather expensive purchase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts