R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
Just went to the Denver dealership to look at the new R1250GS. I was impressed. I'm 60 years old, I owned a Vstrom 650 for a few years but did not ride a lot. Too much going on with family and work at the time. Now I have retired and a lot of time on my hands, children grown up and out of the house. I am interested in doing some touring, staying off the highways as much as possible, taking the back roads. Dreaming of riding to Alaska. So the GS looks like a good fit. I need a break in the weather to go back for a test ride. I am trying to understand what to order when I buy the bike and what to buy on the after market. The premium package looks manditory but how about Skid plates? Crash bars? GPS?, Lighting? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Welcome. What I've read you are in good hands at BMW of Denver, avoid Foothills BMW like the plague.

Lots of aftermarket options, if you'll be off pavement crashbars are more important than skidplate IMO, unless you are deep into rough stuff. Just need to determine labor costs if you have the shop do the install. Lights are worth researching to understanding getting them connected to the CanBus wiring system.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Welcome @BoulderTed !
You live in one of the best states to ride in. Agree with @Krons if you are going off road some engine guards and a skid plate would be a good start. Some replace seats and windshields often too. If you are mechanically inclined you can install most items.
Good luck with your test ride.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ted,

You mentioned back roads. If you are talking about blacktop the GS there is nothing really needed. Make adjustments for your comfort. If you are talking about gravel roads, I would recommend 1. A guard to protect the headlight on the bike if riding with others. Replacing a broken light is extreamly expensive and a good idea for blacktop riding as well. 2. On a rough gravel road the windshield shakes, purchasing a windscreen bracket/brace to remove the shake. 3. Remove the rear fender. If running knobby tires on a washboard at speed, the fender will shake and get caught on the tire and rip off. 4. Touratech crash bar reinforcement brace. If you plan of getting on forest roads and minimum maintance roads, an upgrading the skid plate.

I'm 6'1", 59 years only and on my 4th GSA. For safety, I add Clearwater lights and upgrade the break light so it flashes when used. I spend the majority of my time riding off blacktop. For comfort riding while standing, I install handlebar risers.

Bill Conger use to be in charge of the motorcycle school at the BMW Proformance Center. I asked him what he has added to his GSA and what would he recommend. His answer was "Nothing". He rides his GSA as hard as anyone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Folks,
Just went to the Denver dealership to look at the new R1250GS. I was impressed. I'm 60 years old, I owned a Vstrom 650 for a few years but did not ride a lot. Too much going on with family and work at the time. Now I have retired and a lot of time on my hands, children grown up and out of the house. I am interested in doing some touring, staying off the highways as much as possible, taking the back roads. Dreaming of riding to Alaska. So the GS looks like a good fit. I need a break in the weather to go back for a test ride. I am trying to understand what to order when I buy the bike and what to buy on the after market. The premium package looks manditory but how about Skid plates? Crash bars? GPS?, Lighting? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Greetings and welcome BoulderTed! Your story sounds exactly like mine. Recently retired, 60, kids gone, moved to the GS after 12 years on a FJR1300. You should make time to come out to Louisville, CO. and I will give you a wealth of knowledge (in my humble opinion) as well as a tour of Brutus, my 2014 GS. There is not much more I can put on the bike. I have done a lot of riding in this state and next door in Utah- roads, fire roads, BDR's etc. Planning on doing quite a few big adventures starting in March and throughout (depending on Covid). Let's go ride! I'll give you all the details when I see you. I'll send you a personal message with contact info today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the advice. I definitely want crash bars but I won't ask which ones to get because I see lots of discussions on this already 😅 As I think about it, I am inclined to buy mostly aftermarket parts. It sounds like I will get more bang for my buck, allows me to get more familiar with the bike and give me something to do while I wait out bad weather this winter. BoulderBuckeye, I sent you back a personal message, I would love to see your bike. You from Ohio originally? The buckeye state? I grew up in the Cleveland area.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you all for the advice. I definitely want crash bars but I won't ask which ones to get because I see lots of discussions on this already 😅 As I think about it, I am inclined to buy mostly aftermarket parts. It sounds like I will get more bang for my buck, allows me to get more familiar with the bike and give me something to do while I wait out bad weather this winter. BoulderBuckeye, I sent you back a personal message, I would love to see your bike. You from Ohio originally? The buckeye state? I grew up in the Cleveland area.
That is correct. Born in Dayton and graduated from THE Ohio State University. Lived out here in Louisville for 32 years.
Texor email me whenever you get time. We'll make some arrangements for you to visit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Folks,
Hi BoulderTed,

one thing to definitely buy is a kickstand switch protector. Plus I think in addition to the light cover a radiator protector.

I’m in Fort Collins if you are interested in riding some off road I have a few places that are close by.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Folks,
Just an FYI

Rawhyde sells their bikes after a year. They come with the beefed up add ons and include a 3 day class and a tour. You might want to check it out and compare. Also, because they are a BMW Vendor, as soon as you take title, you begin your 3 year warrant. (my friend who bought from them told me about this)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you I will definitely call them, I was just looking at their training site yesterday. I took a test ride yesterday and it was a great ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi BoulderTed,

one thing to definitely buy is a kickstand switch protector. Plus I think in addition to the light cover a radiator protector.

I’m in Fort Collins if you are interested in riding some off road I have a few places that are close by.
Thank for the advice. When I get the bike, I will give send you a message. Would love to see the riding in Fort Collins area.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went with aftermarket farkles. They are usually much less expensive and often better than OEM. Give this site some searches to get familiar. Glad to have you here, good luck finding the one for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone that replied to my post. I have put down a deposit on a 2020 R1250GS at RawHyde and should be headed out to California to pick up the bike at the end of March, if the recall on the brakes is resolved by then. A big thanks to Xlntcfp for letting me know about these bikes. It looks like a good deal for me because it come with their training course and one of their tours which will help to get me back on the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
D21C0838-38CB-4C4E-A280-743C94757081_1_105_c.jpeg

It's official. I am the proud owner of a 2020 1250GS. Got to know my bike on the five day journey from California back to Boulder. Great fun, but didn't know it snows in southern Arizona in the mountains this time of year, glad I had bought a heated jacket and the heated grips worked great. Thank you to everyone's advice, it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
YAY, the first time I drove to Tucson the elevation change surprised me too! Glad that you got to spend a little quality time on your GS. It looks great and I hope you enjoy the heck out of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts