R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R1200GS Triple Black
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to give a huge thanks to everyone posting their recommendations and issues, I have been researching for a while and finally pulled the trigger on an amazing find of a 2016 R1200GS Triple Black with just under 2000 miles on it. It appeared to be barely driven on the freeway and is of course loaded with all the goodies. Love the look and ride, picking it up in the morning once the rain stops and to let the dealer throw in a new battery (most likely dead from just being shown but hey if they are willing to go new, why not). As I get broken in, I look forward to learning more from everyone so I can pass it on one day too. If you are in the area, feel free to let me know about any rides. Thanks for having me and have a great day.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Welcome @Danielle B !
Your just over the hill from me. I'm east of Reno in Fallon.
Enjoy your new bike and ride safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ryno, definitely waiting a bit to head that way. New Bike + New Snow= Potentially Very Bad Day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lou, well I got it home and of course had to do the mandatory 4+ hour detail even though most people would have said it was clean. Good news is I found it has more extras than I realized. Rox adjustable risers, BMW cylinder head guards, and a few other bits from adventure designs. Currently does not seem like there is anything pressing to do on it. I will post pics when I can. Hope everyone is staying safe and having fun.

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Welcome!

Currently does not seem like there is anything pressing to do on it.
We should probably talk to you about lubing final drive splines....you know that "low maintenance" story on shaft drive? Umm, yeah...well...
:)

In all seriousness something I'd do so the shaft doesn't rust itself to the final drive. Worth changing final drive oil while you are there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome!

We should probably talk to you about lubing final drive splines....you know that "low maintenance" story on shaft drive? Umm, yeah...well...
:)

In all seriousness something I'd do so the shaft doesn't rust itself to the final drive. Worth changing final drive oil while you are there.
Thank you Krons, I will definitely check it out.

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Here is a good thread on it. If the splines are froze up just be gentle in effort to separate them.

Search "final drive splines" and you'll find more. Good news is if you grease the splines and change final drive gear oil every 6k or 12k you should be no problem.

·
Super Moderator
923 Posts
Welcome Danielle! You live in an amazing place to ride being able to go west to the PCH or east into the hills. It's one of my favorite places to ride when I'm on the left coast. I also want to compliment you on your impeccable taste in selecting that exact motorcycle. Here's my 2016 triple black out in the wild:

Post up some photos of your bike photo bombing big trees and mountains!

Reactions: Ryno23 and Krons

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Gray Beard, yes it is great out here for the wide array of locales within a 200 mi trip or less. Love yours too. Not sure after detailing it if it will ever see dirt or rain for that matter. My PTSD had blocked out all the cracks, crevices, and holes from cleaning my RT's. My Nav is updating for the next few hours since it was never done so unfortunately looks like I have time to go paint a room. Hopefully a good ride this afternoon and some pics if it will let me post yet. Enjoy!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Thank you Gray Beard, yes it is great out here for the wide array of locales within a 200 mi trip or less. Love yours too. Not sure after detailing it if it will ever see dirt or rain for that matter. My PTSD had blocked out all the cracks, crevices, and holes from cleaning my RT's. My Nav is updating for the next few hours since it was never done so unfortunately looks like I have time to go paint a room. Hopefully a good ride this afternoon and some pics if it will let me post yet. Enjoy!
Fantastic bike.....I keep visiting Loomis, CA very often to meet family.
Had seen 2 fully loaded GSAs and riders enjoying In N Out hamburgers at Rocklin.....
Hope to run into you sometime!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep very close by and some fun roads up there. Message me when your around if you want to ride. Well before summer otherwise will be down in LA.

·
Super Moderator
923 Posts
Two of my favorite rides when I've been out there are either 36 or cut over onto 299 from Red Bluff over to the coast. 50 up to Lake Tahoe ain't a bad ride either. We were out there too early a couple of years ago and the roads up and around Yosemite weren't open yet to get over the hills. We actually started that trip in LA and took the Angeles Crest Highway up to Newsom's Ranch then up through Sequoia Nat. Monument. Well, you know all that and I'm just rambling because I'm reminiscing about the great riding there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Two of my favorite rides when I've been out there are either 36 or cut over onto 299 from Red Bluff over to the coast. 50 up to Lake Tahoe ain't a bad ride either. We were out there too early a couple of years ago and the roads up and around Yosemite weren't open yet to get over the hills. We actually started that trip in LA and took the Angeles Crest Highway up to Newsom's Ranch then up through Sequoia Nat. Monument. Well, you know all that and I'm just rambling because I'm reminiscing about the great riding there.
Sounds like great rides, I will have to try some. I did the ride over the hill to Yosemite in a car but nothing like doing it on the bike. Thanks for the suggestions will definitely check them out when I am down south again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts