R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have always been intrigued by the R1200GS/A. Until recently, I never realistically thought about buying one, as I felt the bikes were simply too large for my size (5' 10"/165 lbs). In the last year or so, I discovered that they are actually very usable for those of the same or similar size as me. As such, I started the journey to find the perfect one. For me, my introduction to BMW was through my 2017 R NineT Pure. I came to that bike after having owned Harley, Ducati, and Kawasaki motorbikes. As much as I thoroughly loved each of those makes and the models I owned, the moment I swung my leg over the R NineT saddle, I was hooked on BMW. Most especially, I was completely enchanted by the BMW boxer twin. Upon loads of research and experiences with each of the different BMW boxer engines, I decided that the overall charm, character, power delivery, feel, and engine design of the CamHead was perfect for me. Maybe this was the result of it being the first boxer I experienced, and maybe it's just genuinely exactly what I want from a motorbike engine. I suspect both are equally true. At any rate, I set off looking looking for the perfect CamHead GS or GSA. The top five specific bikes that I was looking for were the 2010 R1200GS or GSA 30th Anniversary, a 2011 or 2012 R1200GS Rallye, or a 2013 R1200GSA 90th LE. After six months of diligently looking, I found the perfect bike. Then heartbreak struck, and I found out that it had been sold before I could buy it. I was told by the dealer that some guy's wife had bought it as a surprise for him.

Little did I know that it was MY WIFE that had bought it to surprise me for my 30th birthday. Needless to say, I had a wonderful birthday. So, the bike is a 2013 R1200GSA 90th LE. The bike, along with another spec’d exactly the same, was bought as a pair from my local BMW Motorrad dealership back in early 2013. The gentleman that bought it had intended to do a world wide tour along with a friend. This didn't happen, and the bikes were scrupulously maintained within his collection of about a hundred or so other automobiles and motorbikes. Obviously, the bikes were stored in a climate controlled collection garage, and the fluids were exchanged each season to ensure road readiness should the owner have wanted to set off on the tour. When I got the bike, it had a mere 139 miles. I have since gotten it through the run in mileage, had the run-in service done alongside a very in-depth inspection, and have about 1,500 miles on it now. I was most concerned about any seals/gaskets. I was thrilled to hear from my service technician that everything looked, felt, and performed as new. Let's get real, the bike is a new-old-stock bike. The only lingering concern I have is the potential for the rear main seal failure. Because of that, I did purchase an extended, all-encompassing warranty for the next two years. If the RMS fails, I would imagine it would be in that period.

Since having the bike, I have done a few things already. So far, I have added the front fender extension, the rear mudsling, a TechSpec tank pad, a RamBall phone mount system, an AltRider oil cooler guard, and a Wunderlich side stand base expansion plate. Oh, and of course, I got another Battery Tender. Thus far, I genuinely couldn't be happier with my GSA. Needless to say, I have an amazing wife that really set the birthday gift bar rather high. I figured that as much as I love my NineT and have come to love the NineT Owner's Forum, I guessed that this forum will likely be as great for all things GS. With that, I'm glad to FINALLY be in the GS club, and thanks for having me!

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
One of the very last of the oil-cooled bikes, good choice!

·
Super Moderator
923 Posts
Welcome aboard Bert! Where in Maryland? I'm in Annapolis and have been known to get out for a ride from time to time.

Reactions: Krons

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you are in striking distance of Chambersburg PA I have a tire machine and not afraid to use it. Order tires online have them shipped to me ride up here and I'll change them and properly dispose of the old tars. Also have a lift and can help you out with servicing the bike if needed. Brake bleed, oil (engine, transmission, rear drive) changes etc.

I'm not a shop although my $0.00 hourly rate would be very competitive.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Awesome bike, great story!
I will recommend you to check all recalls for this model. For example, my bike have two (as far as I know) one of them was rear flange. I dont know how but, previous owner give me the new flange by hand in set with all sealings. In a same time in service history of my VIN is written that this is done. Up to last year I was with original aluminium flange. Two months ago until change final drive oil I see first crack and yesterday was in a service for this reason. Few hours after that bike was with new steel flange mounted in a garage.
Also as far as I see from picture with front brake liquid in it looks dark then new. Recommend you to change it, fresh brake liquid looks light yellow or so. Good luck!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I will recommend you to check all recalls for this model. For example, my bike have two (as far as I know) one of them was rear flange. I dont know how but, previous owner give me the new flange by hand in set with all sealings. In a same time in service history of my VIN is written that this is done. Up to last year I was with original aluminium flange. Two months ago until change final drive oil I see first crack and yesterday was in a service for this reason. Few hours after that bike was with new steel flange mounted in a garage.
Also as far as I see from picture with front brake liquid in it looks dark then new. Recommend you to change it, fresh brake liquid looks light yellow or so. Good luck!
It’s possible the rear drive was replaced after the recall was completed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the very last of the oil-cooled bikes, good choice!
Krons, that was exactly what I was going for. Thanks!

Welcome @Beemer.Bert !
Nice pictures.
Enjoy the new bike.
Ryno23, thank you! I will most certainly enjoy it.

Welcome from your neighbor in DE. Great story, beautiful bike!
Pops58, thank you! My wife is absolutely the reason for the cool story. I agree, the bike is beautiful.

Welcome aboard Bert! Where in Maryland? I'm in Annapolis and have been known to get out for a ride from time to time.
GrayBeard, glad to be here! I'm in Odenton, so just about 10-15 minutes up 50 from Annapolis. I too get out from time to time. Haha

If you are in striking distance of Chambersburg PA I have a tire machine and not afraid to use it. Order tires online have them shipped to me ride up here and I'll change them and properly dispose of the old tars. Also have a lift and can help you out with servicing the bike if needed. Brake bleed, oil (engine, transmission, rear drive) changes etc.

I'm not a shop although my $0.00 hourly rate would be very competitive.
PerazziMx14, I am just about 100 miles from there, so certainly within striking distance. I very well may take you up on the offer. I plan to start buying all the maintenance tools for the CamHead. I figure since I have two now, I should familiarize myself with all the regular maintenance items. I had a Ducati 848 EVO a few years back, and the valve jobs with those Desmodromic valves were an absolute pain. The cmahead valve checks should be quite easy, and I hear that the shims seldom need to be swapped out. At any rate, I would love the experienced BMW maintenance mentorship. Thank you!

Niks, thank you! Fortunately, before the previous owner sold the bike, he had my local dealer perform all recall items. There was only one item so far as I recall. I had them do another check when I had the run in service done. They said the bike had a perfect bill of health and all recalls were performed. The photos are from when I initially took delivery of the bike. The brake fluid was far too old. During my run-in, I also had them do a bi-annual. So, all the fluids are fresh now. So, it is all good to go. Thank for the heads up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts