R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess it's going to happen. I put a deposit on a 2021 R1250GS. The standard white one. Now have to figure out what accessories to add. How do BMW bits compare price wise to stuff from the aftermarket.
My current bike is a Triumph Tiger 800 which I have outfitted with some of both manufactures stuff and aftermarket,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome from New Brunswick. Tons of after market stuff available for the R1250GS. I haven't purchased any BMW specific parts, just all after market stuff. Mostly from Fort Nine, GP Bike is another good spot to source add on's. Good Luck, it's a fantastic bike, you'll love it!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Welcome @TILAM. I find BMW accessories are expensive, but so are Touratech and Wunderlich. Depending what accessories you're talking about, like @dmcharley mentions there are tons of options.

One suggestion. Don't waste your money on a GPS, use your phone with the Scenic App and a Quadlock mount with the wireless charger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome @TILAM. I find BMW accessories are expensive, but so are Touratech and Wunderlich. Depending what accessories you're talking about, like @dmcharley mentions there are tons of options.

One suggestion. Don't waste your money on a GPS, use your phone with the Scenic App and a Quadlock mount with the wireless charger.
I'm not buying the Navi VI (I think that's what it's called). have heard it's a bit slow. Plan to use a Garmin instead.
Have to get my head around the Canbus system as I want to add a few electrical accessories.

·
Super Moderator
689 Posts
Welcome @TILAM !

I've been looking at middleweight ADV bikes and been curious about the Triumph triples...what year is yours and how do you like it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not buying the Navi VI (I think that's what it's called). have heard it's a bit slow. Plan to use a Garmin instead.
Have to get my head around the Canbus system as I want to add a few electrical accessories.
You may want to consider getting the ezCAN, it makes adding electric accessories a plug and play configuration game. The challenge is to run the electric wires from the front to the back of the bike, many YouTubes on that as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is a ignition-switched GPS/accessory plug behind the headlight somewhere. It hasn’t changed since the early hexheads at least. Adapter from BMW sets you back $15 and you can draw 5A. Enough to directly power things like a GPS, USB charger and to trigger a relay for things that take more power such as aftermarket accessory lights. The plug stays powered for a minute or two after you switch off the ignition which is helpful so that the GPS doesn’t immediately complain when you stop for a minute.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome @TILAM !

I've been looking at middleweight ADV bikes and been curious about the Triumph triples...what year is yours and how do you like it?
Mine is a 2012 Tiger 800, and is really quite good. The engine is a real prize. Nice flat torque curve and sounds amazing when you wind it up. I have almost 40,000 miles and it has been pretty reliable. I think I could recommend it to anyone. The engine crankshaft layout was changed this year and bumped to 900 cc but the triples are nice motors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome.. I'm finding that there are very few 'inexpensive' accessories for these bikes. I have the AltRider crash bars (lower and upper) and love the look of them (much beefier than the BMW ones).....I went with Denali CANSmart and a couple of S4s... (hind site should have gone with D4s)...but hooking everything up and getting it to do what you want to with controls already part of the bike's system is super easy. Also just did the 'BMW Car horn upgrade' and it's much louder than the stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts