R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 R1200GS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself to the GS forum. I'm a former Harley guy who decided I wanted more than just cruising down the highway so I sold my HD Ultra Classic and bought a 2018 R1200GS. I really like it's power and ride. Looking forward to being able to get off the beaten path and explore new camp sites! I live in the West Tennessee area so there's mostly only flat delta land for riding but I hope to "escape" to the Smokey Mountains sometime this summer. Bucket list item is a BDR some day too. Thanks, and safe travels!

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Welcome.

If you are blasting through Iowa let me know I can point you to some good dirt roads if you need a break from I-80.

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Iowa does have the advantage of some great gravel roads and not a lot of people, makes for good riding.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome from central Mississippi. Just head south and ride the dirt Forest Service roads in your neighboring state to polish your skills before taking on a BDR. I too am an ex Harley rider, and never going back.

·
Registered
2018 R1200GS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Oilcan,
Thanks for the advice. Ridings some forest service roads makes perfect sense. Any you can suggest that you like? I'm also looking to ride the MS section of the TAT for some county, gavel road experience.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well you can check out Holly Springs National Forest. It would be closest to you. I have not ridden there but it is worth a shot. In central Mississippi I ride the Bienville National Forest. You may just reach out to Sam Correro in Corinth as he is the guy for the TAT maps.

·
Registered
2018 R1200GS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I've reached out to Sam and purchased the track for the MS TAT. Have you ridden that section of the TAT?

·
Registered
62 Posts
No, I have not ridden the TAT. I have done about half of the Colorado BDR. You should also look into attending March Moto Madness in Tellico Plains TN. on March 25th through 28th. You may like that. They have a website , www.marchmotomadness.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts