R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming from a Yamaha FJR (06) and today I got an '07 GS Adventure.
Bike is perfect...pretty much stock.
So far, the only thing I don't love, the K60 Scout tires.
They are not very confidence-inspiring on corners...but I have not had a chance to take the bike off-road at all.
I am not mad at them, but I probably don't need 50/50 tires...80/20 would be better I think.

Other than that, I got the 2 panniers, the driving lights, and then a soft-top case? I had never seen that before...and also has the Ralley wear (Rp2??)

What do I need to know about the bike (27k miles)
What RPMs does it like to stay in? What is #1 must-have for the bike? Do I need special fuel, or is 87 octane E10 ok?
Things like that.

Thank you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Michael, your bike is same like my. When I buy first of all change tyres with K76, all oils, filters and brake pads. Change all possible consumables - doesnt matter in your garage or in a service. Safety first! If you have service history all is OK, you know what and when, if not change all possible in a budget.
I use bike 90 on road and rare case 10 off. This type Heidenau K76 is enough good for me on both terrain. If you are oriented 100% asphalt - seek another.
My recommendation is to buy service manual, lot of activities you may make alone at garage like me. Yes in this case there is no record in a dealer history, but I rely on me and know condition of bike in every one moment.
Wish you many fun moments with bike! :wink2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Metzeler Tourance are ideal 80/20 tyres with good wear rates.
A Booster plug or Accelerator module improves the bikes fueling.
Grip puppies work well but take the edge of the heated grips power.
EBC HH brake pads give the best braking performance.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
520 Posts
I enjoy 3-4000 rpm range. 2500 is fine but the power seems to kick in best in any gear from 3000. No need to redline the motor. I run 80/20s and really like the value and performance of my Shinkos . I fuel with 87 octane without any problems. BTW, my bike is an '05. I would recommend Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic oil. My climate calls for 5W 40. Just my opinion of course. Some might differ.

·
Just Another Guy!!!!
50 Posts
I have an 07 GSA and run the Metzler tires, road only with a couple of gravel roads....I would also second the change of all fluids and brake pads. That way you have a good starting point and confidence when you hit the road!!! Safe Riding!

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
On my 07 R1200GS I've been running an Achilles Economist ATR on the rear with great results. I have a Shinko 705 on the front that I am increasingly disliking with every mile I put on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts