R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2020 R1250GS from a guy that had 300 miles on it. Ive always had harleys and knew several people with them so when i had questions with harley, I knew where to go. With this BMW, not so much. My questions are kind of simple but Im not finding answers. How do I figure out the options? It has a alarm looking fob but when I try to arm it, nothing happens. How to tell if it has gear assist or any of the premium package. It is a base model R1250 GS. It had no side racks for panniers. I got a really good deal on the bike so Im not upset, I'm just trying to see what all I actually have. The guy i bought it from is older and had medical issues so he is hit or miss with return calls. Nice guy but he has other things to worry about. If I don't get any info here, I will try to call his dealer and see if they have a build sheet on the bike. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
231 Posts
I also have base model R1250GS and it has non of the options you mentioned. But, the previous owner could have ordered base model and add some options to it. There is a huge list of possible options to add, so it is difficult to guess.
I know there is the website where you can register and then just introduce your VIN number and it will give you full build sheet of your bike. I can't tell you the website because I'm from Europe and there are differences from Europe and US and I have never needed the website because my bike came with zero options but I'm sure if you have no luck with Google search, someone will jump in and help you to find the website.
Congratulations for your new bike. You'll love it as soon as you get used to it because it's different type from what you owned previously.

·
Registered
2016 R1200GS Triple Black
31 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, here are a few others from other threads too. If you know the dealer he purchased it from, I would definitely follow up there as well and also find out in regards to transferring any warranty / warranties that can be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like mdecoder.com. Just put in your VIN and it will tell you which options you have. While it won’t tell you the packages, it will tell you the individual options. Post the output here and we can help you interpret it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I like mdecoder.com. Just put in your VIN and it will tell you which options you have. While it won’t tell you the packages, it will tell you the individual options. Post the output here and we can help you interpret it.
I think this one has me taken care of. No alarm it looks like 😂

I appreciate the info

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad you found what you needed. Looks like you have a well equipped bike. Your bike does have pannier mounts, but it’s for the BMW Vario cases, which look like this. They are expensive new, but you can sometimes find them used on the advirider.com flea market or eBay For around $600. Make sure you get the model for the 2013+ r1200gs / r1250gs.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
68 Posts
That’s some pay deal kind of like carfax. I have access to the to a VIN decoder but it doesn’t give all options. Thanks
I typed my VIN into that site and I got all the info I was looking for, for FREE.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Go to the BMW dealer that sold it and they will be able to give you everything you want and run you though it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts