R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2007 R1200GSA and have noticed this socket (see picture). I'm thinking it's probably a power outlet, but I'm not 100% sure and can't think of what the male connector would look like. Any of you knowledgeable and experienced folk know what's it generally used for (and how!!)?

Many thanks

Iain

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas

·
Registered
79 Posts
without a seance of scale it is a little hard to tell.

I think it is a power socket. like a cigarette lighter socket but different. I can't remember the specific name of the connector component but someone will. this style is common (or more common) in Europe. If I am right it has been relocated from someware like the underseat area to outside on the frame. or perhaps it is an extra one.

it is also possible that it is a coaxial connection and I just cant tell. an after market one for heated jacket or gloves or something.

oh and it is dirty and needs to be cleaned and given some dialectic grease.

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,007 Posts
It is a Powerlet socket.

Personally I do not use Powerlet products so I tend to remove them and replace with a connector style I prefer or use as a keyed power trigger for a fuse block. If you lift the tool tray off its base you'll find the quick disconnect plug leading to the powerlet socket.

Below shows the male end of a powerlet connector

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Font Auto part Electronics accessory

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
without a seance of scale it is a little hard to tell.

I think it is a power socket. like a cigarette lighter socket but different. I can't remember the specific name of the connector component but someone will. this style is common (or more common) in Europe. If I am right it has been relocated from someware like the underseat area to outside on the frame. or perhaps it is an extra one.

it is also possible that it is a coaxial connection and I just cant tell. an after market one for heated jacket or gloves or something.

oh and it is dirty and needs to be cleaned and given some dialectic grease.

Yes, it's very grubby. Through lack of use I imagine!

It is indeed a European bike. The diameter of the hole is about 1.5cm and about 2.5cm across the whole thing. It's "hidden" under the left-hand side towards the back of the main seat. It does seem like an OEM part but I could be wrong.

Iain

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a Powerlet socket.

Personally I do not use Powerlet products so I tend to remove them and replace with a connector style I prefer or use as a keyed power trigger for a fuse block. If you lift the tool tray off its base you'll find the quick disconnect plug leading to the powerlet socket.

Below shows the male end of a powerlet connector

View attachment 34320

Thanks! Now I know what to Google. I've added an aftermarket USB at the front end so not sure if I'll need or use this, but it'll be far easier to work out what to do with it now I know what it's called.

Much appreciated

Iain

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
780 Posts
They are also called 'Hella' plugs and socket. Way more common in europe than in the Americas, they are better at holding plug in place than the common 'lighter' socket.

·
Registered
362 Posts
This is power outlet, as far as I remember 12V 5A, without fuse, only ECU controll it. If you overload it just restart the bike. Go to dealer and ask for 2 x 2A USB, there is two models with 60cm and 120cm wire. Very useful for phone or another device charging until travel.

·
Registered
06 R 1200 GS
7 Posts
I've got a 2007 R1200GSA and have noticed this socket (see picture). I'm thinking it's probably a power outlet, but I'm not 100% sure and can't think of what the male connector would look like. Any of you knowledgeable and experienced folk know what's it generally used for (and how!!)?

Many thanks

Iain

View attachment 34319
Yes a power socket. I have an adapter that’s always worked well. https://www.amazon.com/LOHONER-Wate...ocphy=1016367&hvtargid=pla-909162638070&psc=1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks! Now I know what to Google. I've added an aftermarket USB at the front end so not sure if I'll need or use this, but it'll be far easier to work out what to do with it now I know what it's called.

Much appreciated

Iain
Hi Guys, be careful about taking it out. It looks like where the factory battery conditioner plugs in. I’ve had several of these over the years and it’s used for long term storage. Can send pic and part number if you wish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts