R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am a very new owner of a 2007 1200 gs adv, I came to the bike from a Honda Pan European. I commute 68 miles each way every day on the M26/ M25/ M4 and love the easy riding position, torquey engine and bags of character the gs has. Far nicer to ride than the Pan, two things I am finding strange, firstly the bike is quite high geared in first which has taken some getting used to when filtering, and secondly, it does not seem very smooth when on neutral throttle, again filtering, it seems to surge. Now as the bike has 42k on the clock, would this possibly be blocked injectors? It has almost full BMW service and is otherwise faultless, if this is simply normal and the bike is happy then I'm fine, if not, would running some prepriatory injector cleaner through it help?
Thanks in advance for any help here.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome! I'd start with injector cleaner on the surging issue. I have found my 07 GSA very unhappy below 3000 rpm, took some getting used to not to let it get in the 2500 rpm range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome. I too have just got a 2012 1200GS and find the same thing, i have been reading all the reports on the product and because of the price i think its worth a shot. It does puzzle me that one has a temp sensor and the other shorter one only appears to have two connectors and some wire, how come one needs a sensor and the other doesn't.
Plus if the new sensor is to fool the ECU into thinking its cooler then why is it still tied into the sensor in the airbox ?
Glad you like the bike, i'm doing the same thing using as a commuter, better than a CB100R, don't know what i was thinking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You don't need the remote sensor the cheaper version is more than adequate.
All it is does is alter the voltage from the temperature sensor which is located in the top of the airbox to give a false cooler temperature reading to the ecu. The colder the air the more dense so the ecu adds more fuel creating a richer mixture.
Placing a remote sensor elsewere on the bike will not make a jot of difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Molly, i was beginning to think maybe it was snakeoil, there are so many riders tried it with differing results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after a week of commuting, three tank fulls and running injector cleaner through the bike, I can confirm that she seems to run much smoother above 3k, the fuel consumption has improved a little and I'm getting used to it's eccentricities, like why use one button for indicators when we can use three!!!
I've had two days were the M25 was stacked with accidents, to the point of closing it for the air ambulance, which tested by filtering skills no end, I'm still unhappy with the jerky throttle at slow speeds so I am going to try the SOL2 thingy. On the plus side, the higher riding position is much comfier and gives me more of a view of the D**kheads pulling out on me!!!
Worryingly, the handling once I'm off the motorway is bringing out the hooligan in me, she reacts so much faster on the steering so she flicks through the corners beautifully, I would never have believed a bike so high could feel so planted, despite the problems, I'm sold!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's worth checking the throttle body balance. You will need a balancing gauge of some description but the actual procedure is pretty straightforward and can be seen on Youtube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts