R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 17'GS from a independent dealer, still getting used to it. I find the Owners manual a bit overwhelming since many things depend on delivered options, so maybe answers to my questions are there, so apologies in advance! I cannot get the options for pre-load to come up, I mean the one rider, +bags, two rider options. For ESA settings I only seem to have MIN,MAX,AUTO. I have tried with engine on/off, at stand still of course, any step by step advice plz! I also noticed the Optimate USB charger connected to the accessory plug never goes off and drains my battery, I understood that plug was to shut-off after 15min? If that is a custom setting, I've missed that too, please help.

Happy Riding!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I just picked up a 17'GS from a independent dealer, still getting used to it. I find the Owners manual a bit overwhelming since many things depend on delivered options, so maybe answers to my questions are there, so apologies in advance! I cannot get the options for pre-load to come up, I mean the one rider, +bags, two rider options. For ESA settings I only seem to have MIN,MAX,AUTO. I have tried with engine on/off, at stand still of course, any step by step advice plz! I also noticed the Optimate USB charger connected to the accessory plug never goes off and drains my battery, I understood that plug was to shut-off after 15min? If that is a custom setting, I've missed that too, please help.

Happy Riding!
Hi Ed you got the wrong manual then....the older one.
The bike you have is a newer version with an upgraded dynamic ESA. Put it on auto and let it automatically set the preload.
Enjoy

·
Super Moderator
712 Posts
Check this link to see if it works for you to get the proper manual:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ed you got the wrong manual then....the older one.
The bike you have is a newer version with an upgraded dynamic ESA. Put it on auto and let it automatically set the preload.
Enjoy
Hi Doc, thanks for replying, on startup self-diag I see the single helmet, double helmet on the bottom of the screen? Some of the vids I've been able to find on Youtube indicate that I should be able to select one rider plus luggage etc., am I mistaken?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi Doc, thanks for replying, on startup self-diag I see the single helmet, double helmet on the bottom of the screen? Some of the vids I've been able to find on Youtube indicate that I should be able to select one rider plus luggage etc., am I mistaken?
Yes on start up you will see all possible stuff on the speedo.....bikes share common components........ but you have a newer bike so your ESA is Min Auto or Max.......
Set to Auto and let the bike do everything......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check this link to see if it works for you to get the proper manual:

Hi Gray,

Thanks for the link, I looked up my riders manual for my VIN, I have the correct manual and now a PDF! I don't see the rider selection anywhere in my manual, am I asking about something different from pre-load? Can you tell me how to access the 1-up, 2-up setting on my ESA control.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi Gray,

Thanks for the link, I looked up my riders manual for my VIN, I have the correct manual and now a PDF! I don't see the rider selection anywhere in my manual, am I asking about something different from pre-load? Can you tell me how to access the 1-up, 2-up setting on my ESA control.
Ed lol you cannot access those settings cos they dont exist in your bike!
Only min auto and max exist in ur model which is the updated ESA and came in the later part of 2017!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only min auto and max exist in ur model which is the updated ESA and came in the later part of 2017!
Thx Doc, I see the light! I have set it on Auto based on my first read of the manual... How about my accessory plug staying on past 15min? The key is a good 5-6m away so it shouldn't be that, am I wrong about the control unit turning it off?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Thx Doc, I see the light! I have set it on Auto based on my first read of the manual... How about my accessory plug staying on past 15min? The key is a good 5-6m away so it shouldn't be that, am I wrong about the control unit turning it off?
Ok found out the answer for your USB thngie on advrider. So yes it will flatten your battery....remove it when not in use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
... since many things depend on delivered options, so maybe answers to my questions are there ...
Just in case it is not old news to you - there are some websites, which will list details - including installed options/additions - of a given BMW, based on the VIN (or a portion of it);
e.g. I have used the following:
https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/<last 7 digits/letters of VIN>
e.g. assuming VIN is MyVinIs1234567, then navigate your web-browser to the following URL:
mdecoder.com/decode/1234567

1 - 12 of 12 Posts