R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2013 R1200GS with 900 miles from Harrison EuroSports in Sandy, Utah, great people
I've rode about 500 miles in the last few days, as most of you know the bike is incredible. Been riding off road fifty years, I never would have guessed a 500 pound bike could work so good on Idaho's back county dirt roads, what a blast!
Question, starting at 20mph there is a howling, haunting noise coming from the front of the bike, it comes up the forks through the tank opening, I stuffed foam in the opening just to see if it stop the noise and it does stop a lot of the sound but can't leave the foam in and it looks red necky. Is this noise caused by the brake rotors and calipers, I have had performance car brakes that setup this kind of noise with drilled rotors. It could be the Anakee front tire? or is it air pressure building between the tire and front fender causing the fender to vibrate. I guessing there is a answer, but right know while the weather is staying above 32*F I am to busy riding to figure out the droning noise

·
Registered
281 Posts
The latest Mich Anakee tires have been described as loud....some may have even described them as howling....check around on the forum and you will find a lot written about this....some say the fix is a good set of ear plugs...my last 3 sets of tires have been Metz Tournaces and have had no issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
noise its in my head !!!

Update on ghost noise
OK its weird
Just returned from the Lake Havasu, AZ area. Been riding the GS and a Husaberg for two months great riding and perfect weather.
When I ride the GS with full coverage Shoe helmet visor down I get a lot of noise, I guess its like putting your head in a bell! With a Shoe dirt bike helmet very little noise from road, tires or what ever, and with no helmet( I don't normally ride without a helmet) I get NO noise from the bike! So I'm guessing the helmet just catches small noises and magnifies it.
With ear plugs which I wear on the dirt bike and the GS all you hear is a perfect motoring sound that's cool music to a rider.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue on my '15 R1200GSA ... really annoying howling noise coming up through tank opening. Can hear it from 20-70mph.

Noise seems to be captured and amplified by my helmet. As described, its less apparent if I take the helmet off (which I don't do normally). I also have Anakee IIIs. Even with ear plugs the noise still resonates within my helmet.

Did you ever figure out the source of this, is there a fix?

I'm going to try a new TKC70 tire on the front just to see if this is an Anakee issue. I don't expect that will help since the current noise doesn't change with lean angle. Also planning to take a test ride with a different helmet, i.e. Schuberth C3Pro.

Thanks,
John

·
slaw p
17 Posts
I just purchased 2013 1200 gs I love the new lc one think I don't like it is the nois coming from front like draging chains in arai helmet

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have just got a 2017 GSA and the noise from the front end us terrible. I previously had a 2008 GS 1200 R there wasn't any front end noise on that. Has anyone solved theis issue?

·
Super Awesom Person
530 Posts
I too have just got a 2017 GSA and the noise from the front end us terrible. I previously had a 2008 GS 1200 R there wasn't any front end noise on that. Has anyone solved theis issue?
Look and see if you have the Michelin Anakee 3 tire mounted in the front. If you do that's your noise. Those things howl like crazy. Try the Dunlop Trailsmart on your next tire change. Better handling and far less noise.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you have the Anakee III's, they, or at least the front tire, is probably the source of your noise. On our back country paved roads, the asphalt and slag (chip and seal) will make the tires set up a noise like high-volume static. I have bought new tires for my GSA, but since I can't ride at the present, I have been in no hurry to have them mounted. The common cylindrical foam ear plugs shut out the noise so well that sometime I forget to shift.

·
AlaGS
5 Posts
Michelin Tires and Noise on the WC GSs

I have a 2015 GS It came new with the Anakee III tires and it made a terrible noise a low to moderate speeds which emanated from the front end. I tried different tires (Michelin PR Its) and it Still made the irritating noise. I finally tired Metzler and Shinko tires and both brands made it ride as quite as can be. Can't explain why Michelin tires make this noise and wish they didn't as I love the way they handle on all type of roads. Never heard of this before or on any other bike. I wonder if Michelin know about it..,

·
Registered
49 Posts
front end noise

Its not the tires, not the windshield, its the whole package. I have tried different combinations of tires and windshields and it never goes away. I am using Michelin road pilot 4 GT tires and despite the 100% road bias the noise is still there esp from 40 to 90 kph.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think it's tire noise that the body work just amplifies. The fork opening acts as a megaphone, directing the tire noise right up into your helmet. The more aggressive the tread, the worse the noise. I notice it on my 16 model, even with Pilot Road 4 street tires. You can get the same "tire noise" from most bikes when the front tire is worn and cupped when you lean into a turn. I hear the "zzzzzzz" of the front tire cornering any bike when the front is worn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue on my '15 R1200GSA ... really annoying howling noise coming up through tank opening. Can hear it from 20-70mph.

Noise seems to be captured and amplified by my helmet. As described, its less apparent if I take the helmet off (which I don't do normally). I also have Anakee IIIs. Even with ear plugs the noise still resonates within my helmet.

Did you ever figure out the source of this, is there a fix?

I'm going to try a new TKC70 tire on the front just to see if this is an Anakee issue. I don't expect that will help since the current noise doesn't change with lean angle. Also planning to take a test ride with a different helmet, i.e. Schuberth C3Pro.

Thanks,
John
I have 2019 R1250GS with same noise problem. I don’t think it is a helmut issue. I’ve changed windscreen already and that helped a bit. Was wondering if the tire change you mentioned helped with the noise?

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
559 Posts
I have learned to accept noise. These bikes make noise. They are not cruise queens. My Reemus pops ( cool ). The wind off the windshield wooshes. The tires rumble. The gears are a bit noisy. It is a sensory experience that makes me feel like I am riding a rugged machine and I find it part of the charm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have learned to accept noise. These bikes make noise. They are not cruise queens. My Reemus pops ( cool ). The wind off the windshield wooshes. The tires rumble. The gears are a bit noisy. It is a sensory experience that makes me feel like I am riding a rugged machine and I find it part of the charm.
Update: mine is R1250GS HP. It came with Metzeler Karoo 3 tires. Front noise so loud I could barely hear the engine/exhaust! I’ve changed the windscreen to Ztechnik mid-size touring, 19 ½” top to bottom as measured in the center, with stabilizers (just get them) which solved the air buffeting completely.
Yesterday, at only 1200 miles I switched tires to Mitas E07 +. This is a 50/50 tire that I’ve used before on my G310GS and loved it. It is actually made for large adventure bikes. I am happy to report the tire change has completely solved my front noise problem! I can still hear a little but 95% LESS noise works for me. It still is decent on the road, and now it is awesome on dirt!
PS: everyone should still wear earplugs - ATGATT !

I am now 100% satisfied with this bike!

Message me if you want to know what else I have added to the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts