R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time out since the horrendous rains here over the past couple of weeks. Winding stair gap up and across then down to Camp Merrill. What was once nice hard pack gravel with a few rocks was now predominately loose gravel with lots of big loose rocks. It was rough going for these old bones on a beautiful day. Started up several other roads, only to encounter really rough, rutted, and loose gravel. Ended up at Helton creek falls. Lots of traffic, I guess since it's Spring Break time here. Good ride, but exhausting. About 207 miles total. 82 degrees down in Dahlonega. Low 70's up in the mountains.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know a couple of those areas. I belong to a dual sport Meetup group that meets every Saturday in Suches, GA at T.W.O. Used to ride that area often before moving out west. I'm a GA native.

Very cool......thanks for sharing! That's a long day in the saddle if mostly offroad. Warms the heart to see the foliage there though.

·
Super Moderator
969 Posts
Did those two bikes get along?
:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They were growling at each other all day long! My buddy really likes the hooligan factor of the KTM. I like the riding position and feel of the GS. Got my hooligan days out of my system with a 1200 Bandit And Big Block Chevy's years ago. The GS is easy to ride in the twisties, and a solid, capable bike off-road. It's nice to have a friend with the same riding interests as myself.

·
Super Moderator
969 Posts
They were growling at each other all day long!
Love that... 😄

Never rode one but anticipate its more riding 'on' the bike vs 'in' the bike like the GS. Good in some situations but not for long hauls...but definitely a hooligan inside there.

·
Survivor
776 Posts
During a January years ago, I spent some time tromping around the area near Dahlonega while in the mountain phase of Ranger school. I have less fond memories of it than you do, I suspect. :unsure:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts