R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,
and happy new year to all. I just came back from xmas break and was about to start my ´95 1200GS after no riding for about 1 month.

I turn the key and all lights go on, everything checks out with no warning lights appearing, however it wont start. I was expecting a dead battery, but it doesnt sound like the usual battery issue - I get a clicking sound for about 3 seconds and then it dies and the electronics warning comes on. Front and back lights still on though.

Am I looking at a simple battery charge or is this more serious - any experience to provide advice?

Tnx,
K

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
One month is borderline for expecting the bike to start. Put the battery on a charger and all should be ok.

The gray area is between 3-5 weeks. The time depends upon temperatures, the initial charge of your battery, and the actual parasitic drain (the current used by the various controllers when the bike is nominally off).

If you are going to be away for a while and you don't want to keep the battery on a charger then disconnect the ground terminal. A battery in good condition will hold its charge enough to start the bike for 4-6 months. Extreme temperatures will have an effect, though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The battery disconnected discharge itself with 1% / day.

Now, the bike have some electronics that might draw only a few mA when in standby, but is a small draw that is added to that 1%.

The clicking is from starter solenoid. If the solenoid release before your button release, that means the battery has an issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You mat be able to charge the battery and start the bike but I would not trust a battery that had been completely discharged for any length of time.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If the solenoid is clicking the battery is not completely flat.
Most of the time it can be properly charged or even jumped.

The high compression of these engines require a lot to
turn them over.

Check with a voltmeter. There are some charts on the forum
that specify what voltage is required. A couple of tenths of
a volt low can make a difference.

I'm a believer that moto batteries are only good for a couple of
years. Some guys on the forums say the get up to 9-10 years.
That has not been my experience.

This is also complicated by the starter manufacturers messing with
the metal compositions of the starters. Modern trick metallurgy
will make a starter spin "better" but requires more cranking amps.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

thanks for all the responses guys, much appriciated. Look like its a battery issue after all, which is a relief!

Happy riding!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts