R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually spend the winter planning my one long trip with ever detail set for take off probably during the 4th of july week next year. I have no experience riding in Canada or Novascotia but want to head up through northern indiana through Michigan over the top of the St Lawrence sea way cross over at Montreal and head to do a round trip of Novascotia. Hoping to get it done in 9 or ten days with aprox of 3 to 4 thousand miles round trip. Questions remain about things like gas, road condtions, and other unforseen issues. I would hope to camp most of it and only stay at a hotel if i have to. Does any one have Canadian riding experience and what insight can you give? Is there any one in the northern indiana southern michigan area interested in such a adventure? Thanks for any info!

·
Chicago
36 Posts
Expect to pay more for gas,their dollar is almost equal to ours now.
Plenty of places to camp,weather can be anything at anytime.
Roads are and can be paved or stone.
Contact your insurance carrier for an out of country insurance card providing they will still cover you and your bike while aboard.
Really no different than touring here in America.
3-4000 miles in 10 days requires you to go about 500 miles a day.
Don't speed in Canada their a little more touchy on the subject than us here in the States. Forget about radar detectors..againt the LAW there.
Alcohol and driving is a BIG NO-NO...as in a Felony,if you have a DUI or DWI here in the states,forgetabout crossing without special permission.
Don't forget your PassPort!
.....Have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I usually spend the winter planning my one long trip with ever detail set for take off probably during the 4th of july week next year. I have no experience riding in Canada or Novascotia but want to head up through northern indiana through Michigan over the top of the St Lawrence sea way cross over at Montreal and head to do a round trip of Novascotia. Hoping to get it done in 9 or ten days with aprox of 3 to 4 thousand miles round trip. Questions remain about things like gas, road condtions, and other unforseen issues. I would hope to camp most of it and only stay at a hotel if i have to. Does any one have Canadian riding experience and what insight can you give? Is there any one in the northern indiana southern michigan area interested in such a adventure? Thanks for any info!
cross1200,
It will be a great trip. I crossed Canada twice in 2006. Nova Scotia was definitely a highlight. PM me with any questions. I'm sure I can offer some help.

some pics of NS are on my site @ www.motorcycle-overland.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your pics

Great info it and really cool pics!! Thanks for sharing:D Can i ask do you think it ten days is enough to get from Detroit around Novascotia and back? Thanks again for the info it is a great help.:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
cross1200
Depends on how you travel, route and how many clicks you intend to cover/day.
I think you can do it in 10 days, but you'll have to stay on the major highways and I don't think you'll have a lot of time to sightsee.

The distance looks like around 2000-2200 kms one-way to the Cabot Trail. You can probably get there in 2-3 days. Again, depends on your route and how many stops you make along the way. There's plenty to see between Detroit and NS.

Cheers,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More crazy questions

:eek: so how do you keep your bike maintained on the longer trips things like oil changes? Thanks again for all your great input it is a great thing to have others who share thier experience for free:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
cross1200,
We travelled over 27000 kms on our trip. That's basically 3 x 10k services (before departure, one somewhere in between at a dealer, and one upon return).
I travelled with 500ml of oil in a Nalgene bottle that I used for top-ups if needed. I checked tire pressure 1-2 times/week. That was basically all I had to do (and changed a couple of light bulbs).

No other maint. was required. Oh...I did change tires once in Edmonton.

Cheers,

·
Reverend Noob
236 Posts
:eek: so how do you keep your bike maintained on the longer trips things like oil changes? Thanks again for all your great input it is a great thing to have others who share thier experience for free:D
Although I normally do services such as valve adjustments as directed by BMW's maint. schedule and change oil every 3,000 miles I will stretch these intervals somewhat if needed on a long road trip. Actually long trips are the easiest miles you can put on a bike. On a trip of 6 or 7 thousand miles I don't worry about changing oil. Tune it up and change fluids before the trip and then when I return home. Three thousand stop and go miles locally are much harder on the engine and mechanical parts than a 6 thousand mile road trip;)

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Although I normally do services such as valve adjustments as directed by BMW's maint. schedule and change oil every 3,000 miles I will stretch these intervals somewhat if needed on a long road trip. Actually long trips are the easiest miles you can put on a bike. On a trip of 6 or 7 thousand miles I don't worry about changing oil. Tune it up and change fluids before the trip and then when I return home. Three thousand stop and go miles locally are much harder on the engine and mechanical parts than a 6 thousand mile road trip;)

Jim
+1 for above
The stop and go is a killer. Long days on an open road stretches the maint schedules a little, or at least, allows you to go over the 10k mark before a service without any worry. I noticed the oil level change slightly after about 8-9k kms. Other than that, no concerns.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Toronto 1200 GS, What part of Toronto? It sounds like you had a great trip. You also did a great job on your web site. I just bought my 07 GS to do the travelling that you did. Many people do not know what type of country we really do have. Great job on sharing the info.

Ride safe

Tiny

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Toronto 1200 GS, What part of Toronto? It sounds like you had a great trip. You also did a great job on your web site. I just bought my 07 GS to do the travelling that you did. Many people do not know what type of country we really do have. Great job on sharing the info.

Ride safe

Tiny
Hey Tiny,
I'm downtown (near the CNE). I pick up my 07 in the spring.
The trip was great...dreaming about the next one. If you're planning a x-country trip I'd be happy to answer any questions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know about this summer (2008) doing the x country thing ; however my buddies & I do go around the lake, every year,and watch the syracuse chiefs and eat bbq from the dynasour. This time maybe two lakes( ont & erie) & two of the three Dynasour BBQ's. OOOOOOOH BARBEEQUE:p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Road conditions, stops, gas, maintenance, etc. is a non-issue on the east coast. I did Nova Scotia and western NFLD on a ZX10R, so you'll be juuust fine on that big BMW ;)

Most important piece of advice I can give you if you're heading to the Canadian east coast is this: DO NOT MISS Newfoundland. Take the ferry across from North Sydney (Cape Breton, Nova Scotia) to Port Aux Basques (NFLD)... extend your trip by a few days if you must. The ferry ride is about 5-6 hours and won't cost you much more than about $100cdn. When you land in NFLD head up the Trans-Canada to a town called Cornerbrook... from there be sure to visit Gros Morne national park, I wager it'll be the highlight of your trip.

As for Nova Scotia... lots of nice riding there too. The Cabot Trail is an absolute must, of course. Besides that, look up The Sunrise Trail... you can hit a nice part of that on your way up towards Cape Breton. We did this road about 4 times on a couple of sportbikes and it was a blast every time... lots of twisties, right on the ocean, nice pavement. Also be sure to check out Peggy's Cove, near Halifax. Do the 333 highway in on one side and out the other.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts