R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 2500 miles I noticed weeping from the two (2) top assembly bolts on the front right caliper. Since the nearest dealer is 90 miles away, I decided to investigate it myself. I split the caliper and discovered there is NO O-RING in the machined area so designed for it. BMW wants $80 for a rubber kit so I pulled one from my o-ring collection. No leaks.

Anyone else out there with Bembro leaks?

Attachments

·
malmac
31 Posts
Where does the o ring go?

Not having had the brakes apart - touch wood - I am interested in knowing where the O ring actually sits in the picture you provided.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The o-ring sits between the two halves of the front brake caliper. Splitting a front brake caliper (which is different from the rear) is usually not recommended at they tend to leak when put pack together. Since this one was leaking anyway that was not an issue.

That said... 90 miles is a nice before breakfast ride. :) Were it my bike and still under warranty I'd have taken it to the dealer. Out of warranty... I'd split the caliper and try to fix it myself, being aware that a replacement caliper might be in my future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts