R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few months ago a bought an '06 1200GS with ca 35.000km. I'm having a lot of fun with it. With two small problems in the warranty period (leaking oil seal on/near clutch and failing gear indicator) i'm feeling good about my purchase. After a while a noticed the odometer was going up a bit fast. So I measured with a GPS.

Results: the odometer is going up 1.6 times as fast as the GPS distance does.

Before:

After:

The analog speedometer of my GS is low. Speedometer says 100 km/hr; GPS says 102 km/hr.

Is this a common phenomena? Can anyone help we with this? Is there a calibration option?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Your pictures are not showing up... Oh they are on facebook so only logged in facebook members can see them. Anyway...

No, that is strange. 1.6 is a magic number, though. There are 1.6 km/mile. Perhaps your bike is counting miles?

·
Not that senior.
702 Posts
The other way round

GPS is measuring MPH, speedo is KPH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry, this would be a little bit too easy. I did make sure the GPS was showing distance in km and speed in km/hr. The bike definitely shows speed in km/hr and distance is also in km. We will have to dig a little bit deeper to get a satisfactory answer.

I have moved the pictures of the post above to a public location so they show up now. You can see the units on the GPS as well as on the GS dashboard both read km.

Further suggestions are very welcome...

·
Registered
480 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts