R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, BMW owner for a few years (07 R1200R) just bought a 2009 R1200GS that the original owner farkeled the hell out of. He got the factory fogs and I would like to upgrade if possible to LED's, amber lenses. If the factory fogs can not be modded, can the existing mounts and wiring be used for an after market light? Brands of lights? CANBUS problems with LED's? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have an 07 Adventure and have been thinking the same. Both my fog light housings have been repaired multiple times. Last time I used epoxy and was surprised how poor the design was, not a lot of "structure" in the plastic housing.

I've been looking on Amazon and yet to decide. I've assumed LED current draw would not create CanBus problems. Will let you know if I go that route and what I find.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I had an '09 GSA and I replaced the OEM fog lights with Clearwater Kristas. I cut the OEM harness, wired the Kristas directly and had no Canbus issue. The lights, however, were too bright so I called Clearwater and got their harness and it had the early CanOpener along with a rheostat to dim them.

Mike

·
D Perry
6 Posts
Hi everyone, BMW owner for a few years (07 R1200R) just bought a 2009 R1200GS that the original owner farkeled the hell out of. He got the factory fogs and I would like to upgrade if possible to LED's, amber lenses. If the factory fogs can not be modded, can the existing mounts and wiring be used for an after market light? Brands of lights? CANBUS problems with LED's? Thanks in advance.
On my 07, I put the Denali D4 LED Light Kit with canbus controller. They are very bright and operate seamlessly with the light switch. I went with this option only because I did not want to modify harnesses or wiring...just not that dedicated ;-). The Clearwater lights are another option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts