R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250GSA HP 719 Billet
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am considering luggage options for 5 week / 10k mi tour. Instead of typical top box and dry bag mounted crossways at pillion, toward pulling weight forward I started pondering removing the OEM handrail and instead mounting a Pelican, e.g. maximally an 0340 Cube, onto a BlackDog Helipad, thereby pulling a much larger 96L XL "top case" e.g. a foot forward and a few inches lower for handling.

Planning to travel light and not fill it, so why such a large box? Reluctant to leave heavy riding gear unsecured when we stop for a hike etc.

Probably overkill. Thoughts / comments?

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

Luggage and bags Rectangle Bag Material property Travel

·
Bobmanz
2018 R1200GSA
32 Posts
Am considering luggage options for 5 week / 10k mi tour. Instead of typical top box and dry bag mounted crossways at pillion, toward pulling weight forward I started pondering removing the OEM handrail and instead mounting a Pelican, e.g. maximally an 0340 Cube, onto a BlackDog Helipad, thereby pulling a much larger 96L XL "top case" e.g. a foot forward and a few inches lower for handling.

Planning to travel light and not fill it, so why such a large box? Reluctant to leave heavy riding gear unsecured when we stop for a hike etc.

Probably overkill. Thoughts / comments?

View attachment 31912

View attachment 31913
Sounds like a decent option, and I def understand the idea of added security, but I also feel if someone truly wants something, regardless of how well we try to prevent it from happening, they will often succeed. That said, I did a similar length trip several years back, 5 weeks, over 11k miles, from MD to Prudhoe Bay and back, and granted I was mainly off the beaten path, never spent much time in heavily populated areas, and my AltRider rack with a dry bag cinched down with some Rock Straps was never messed with, although I would never leave it on the bike overnight. Plus the dry bag with my camping gear served nicely as back support. Never been a big fan of top cases, be it weight distribution, weight of the case in general, or the fact it takes up footprint where a dry bag can be placed. Oh and I also carried a 2-gal Rotopax which mounted flat to my rack. Whatever your decision, have a great time, and stay safe!

·
Registered
2020 R1250GSA HP 719 Billet
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T
Sounds like a decent option, and I def understand the idea of added security, but I also feel if someone truly wants something, regardless of how well we try to prevent it from happening, they will often succeed. That said, I did a similar length trip several years back, 5 weeks, over 11k miles, from MD to Prudhoe Bay and back, and granted I was mainly off the beaten path, never spent much time in heavily populated areas, and my AltRider rack with a dry bag cinched down with some Rock Straps was ….
Thanks much for your experience and comments. I’m basically trying to minimize what I take off the bike into hotels and have to put back next am , a learning from Eastern trip last fall. Soft panniers, 2 dry bags, tank bag … all a little much on a two week trip, so moving toward carrying in my helmet, change of clothes and my toothbrush.

·
Super Awesom Person
819 Posts
I put my motorcycle gear in the side bags and the stuff that goes into the hotel is in a drybag on the back. A lot less weight. I also found a locking strap keeps most people honest at pit stops. SteelCore Security Strap

1 - 4 of 4 Posts