R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding on BMW street bikes since 1998, in fact all K series bikes starting from the K1200RS to my current K1600GTL. I rented a R1200RT in Europe for a week in 2017, and finally found out what the fuss was about when it comes to the boxer models. I ride in a local BMW chartered club where 90% of the club members have a GS. Attended a BMW Demo Day in PA in the fall and tried the S1000XR, R1250GS and the K1600B and was smitten by the GS. I'm hoping to pick one up this spring so I can join in on the offroad fun that my clubmates have.

So I'm the lookout for a used GS to learn the platform instead of a new one for now. I'm also looking forward to reading about the cool farkles and gear that you experienced members have tried and rated.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Welcome @richlew !
There are several K bike riders and former K bike riders like myself here. Ask away if you have any questions.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been riding on BMW street bikes since 1998, in fact all K series bikes starting from the K1200RS to my current K1600GTL. I rented a R1200RT in Europe for a week in 2017, and finally found out what the fuss was about when it comes to the boxer models. I ride in a local BMW chartered club where 90% of the club members have a GS. Attended a BMW Demo Day in PA in the fall and tried the S1000XR, R1250GS and the K1600B and was smitten by the GS. I'm hoping to pick one up this spring so I can join in on the offroad fun that my clubmates have.

So I'm the lookout for a used GS to learn the platform instead of a new one for now. I'm also looking forward to reading about the cool farkles and gear that you experienced members have tried and rated.
Hi Rich, go for the 1250GS. It’s a great compliment to my GT.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Where are you located? I'm in South Central PA and if you want to come look at and talk about Hexheads I have 3 for your viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome @richlew !
There are several K bike riders and former K bike riders like myself here. Ask away if you have any questions.
Ride safe.
Thanks Mark! I bought some stuff from you over on the K1600 forum..

Hi Rich, go for the 1250GS. It’s a great compliment to my GT.
Hey LAS, you found me here too.. Gotta catch up!

Where are you located? I'm in South Central PA and if you want to come look at and talk about Hexheads I have 3 for your viewing pleasure.
Thanks PerazziMx14. I'm in NYC.

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL / 2020 R1250GS
11 Posts
Greetings Richlew & all. Glad to hear I'm in good company. I am also a K bike owner (K1600GTL) that sold his Tiger recently for a 1250GS. Still waiting for the bike to be released from the recall later this month. My only worry is my mileage on the K will slow down as the GS is very capable. But I don't see selling the K anytime soon, until they make a faster one.

I've ordered the dual-sport seat as I am not worried about 2-up with the wife on the GS. The K has that area well covered. The GS is for the trips she wouldn't want to go on anyway!

·
Registered
798 Posts
K bike are a different animal. The ones I’ve ridden Aden happy on tight technical roads but get them on an open stretch or big wide sweepers open the throttle and they are at home at autobahn speeds.
Also wind management is amazing. It’s about like riding in a car it’s so quiet. This is great when cold but not so good when the mercury has risen.

The GS is a good alternative. They have long legs when you need the and run along quite nicely near triple digits for long stretches. They also handle tight technical pavement way better that’ll you’d expect.

The down side to the GS is off pavement(I don’t consider groomed gravel firebreak toads as off pavement). Its not the GS so much the weight of it that quickly becomes unfun off road. He has I don’t like my old DR 650 off road and it was 200lbs lighter.

I’m not saying the GS cannot do off pavement as in capable handlevery impressive things can be accomplished...we all seen the videos of the pros but that ain’t me :)

I love GS and GSA’s. They are the SUV motorcycling world.

enjoy your GS!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts