R1200GS Forum banner

Oil capacity 1200GS 2014

17K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Matt Cero 
#1 ·
Today I changed my oil for first time since I own the bike.
Per specs with filter I need 4 liters.
After new filter was installed and exactly 4 bottles (4 liters) oil was added I ran the bike for 3 minutes, than checked the oil level. The oil window was completely full, I drained 230 ml and now the oil window is 3/4 full. That is making 3.77liters.
Is that normal?

#3 ·
Well, what is bothering me is I drained 3.7 liters (old oil) and the level was always 3/4 on the little window, never had low oil warning. When I purchased the bike the previous owner just changed oil (receipt from BMW dealer was provided). Since than I put about 8000 miles and the oil level never changed.

#4 ·
The Wet Head does not burns oil, I consulted the BMW Master Tech and he said "If the oil capacity calls for 4 liters then fill it with 4 liters" I have a similar situation like you and eventualy it will lower a bit by itself. I also notice if oil level is at mid sight glass the trans shifts a bit clunky and it may be me.

Tony

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
If you are careful you can rock the bike to the right on the center stand to see how close it is to the sight glass.

I doubt it would matter if slightly overfull but too much oil can be as bad as too little. I typically fill 3.5 then add to the top of sight glass. Some just add 4 qts and skip the sight glass...OCD levels vary.

#9 ·
FWIW, I just had the oil/filter changed and asked that they put only 3.5 liters in the bike. I ended up with the sight glass showing almost exactly in the middle of the little circle, right where I wanted it. On my 2005 GS and on this '17 RT, if the oil is filled all the way with 4 liters, the bike has more vibration beyond the usual "thrum" of a boxer. My BMW shop CD also says to fill with 3.5 liters initially, run the bike till warm, then check level. Add oil to place level in the middle of the sight glass. HTH, YMMV, and flame suit on (just in case :rolleyes: )

#11 ·
I have a 2013 (part of the '12 year group) and notice that if you put the bike up on the center stand right after parking it, it will read lower than if you have it on the jiffy stand for a few minutes and then put in on the center stand. This is because oil will pool in the oil cooler if the oil is not allowed to run out of it prior to putting the bike on the center stand. So, to get an accurate site glass reading, allow the bike to rest on the jiffy stand for a few minutes, then put it on the center stand and give it a minute then read it. Otherwise you may overfill it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.