R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 BMW R 1200 GS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm fairly new to the Beemer Boxer engine, I feel like I'm on a right path as I purchase the Bike with 27K miles. I feel like it might have been sitting for a while somewhere tires are pretty cracked I could be wrong.
I recently took a long trip on this bike and half way I realize my pants and shoes were soiled with motor oil, checked the spark plug on the right side and there was a small amount of oil under the cover. I cleaned it really well checked to see if the plug was loose but all was well.
I imagine doing some research that it might be the interior gasket (looks like a O ring)

I have read some places that the gasket does not need to be replaced every time you open the cylinder headcover, they are not that expensive ( I will probably just replace it)

Wondering if anyone has experienced the same or similar issues and what else I should look for
2005 BMW R1200GS
I need to install my crash bars, replace the tire and do an oil change once I figure out this oil leak issue.
Automotive lighting Gesture Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part
Automotive parking light Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive exhaust

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,183 Posts
I bet when you pull the valve cover you find the gasket was pinched and not fully seated over the casting boss. It's fairly east to know it off kilter especially if you have tight fitting crash bars where you have to wiggle the valve cover to get it past.

These do not need to be replaced unless they were damaged or split. It's not bad medicine to have an extra on hand just in case.

Cheers,

P-14

·
Registered
2005 BMW R 1200 GS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil levels are a bit low but
I bet when you pull the valve cover you find the gasket was pinched and not fully seated over the casting boss. It's fairly east to know it off kilter especially if you have tight fitting crash bars where you have to wiggle the valve cover to get it past.

These do not need to be replaced unless they were damaged or split. It's not bad medicine to have an extra on hand just in case.

Cheers,

P-14
Word... It was dropped by the precious owner no crash bars were installed prior, I purchased some just need to install them.
I also ordered the gaskets110USD$
I will work on it this weekend and post the results thank you @PerazziMx14

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,183 Posts
If you can return or stop shipment on the valve cover gaskets, I'll sell you the set I bought several years ago doe $50 shipped in the lower 48.

After having the valve covers off of 13 GS's (some multiple times) and not needing as gasket they are just having there doing nothing.

Reactions: Javablues

·
Registered
2005 BMW R 1200 GS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can return or stop shipment on the valve cover gaskets, I'll sell you the set I bought several years ago doe $50 shipped in the lower 48.

After having the valve covers off of 13 GS's (some multiple times) and not needing as gasket they are just having there doing nothing.
Deal, I'm trying to cancel my order now, I will open the valve cover this weekend and see what state the gaskets are but it is always nice having extra.
Thank you!

·
Registered
06 R 1200 GS
12 Posts

Cheers,

P-14
I have an 06 with 123k. Had the same leak and replaced the gaskets. Bought from dealer for about 10$ for both. Also recommend using bmw coils as I’ve tried aftermarket’s and they failed with a couple hundred miles. I also went with a led headlight assembly upgrade and that was a real wise move.

·
Registered
2005 BMW R 1200 GS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 06 with 123k. Had the same leak and replaced the gaskets. Bought from dealer for about 10$ for both. Also recommend using bmw coils as I’ve tried aftermarket’s and they failed with a couple hundred miles. I also went with a led headlight assembly upgrade and that was a real wise move.
Can I ask you, what did you replace the headlight with ?
The whole unit or just the bulb?

·
Registered
06 R 1200 GS
12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 BMW R 1200 GS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome, thanks crew.
I first need to get the oil leak figured out, the inner cylinder gasket should arrive tomorrow, nice thanksgiving project for the next coming days.

I'd say for sure gotta replace the headlight cuz when I was riding over nevada at night it was hard to see unless I had my High B on which I don't like to be that dude on the oncoming traffic.
Step 1 Replace the gasket
Step 2 Oil Change
Step 3 New tires Heidenau K60 Scouts OR Dunlop TRAILMAX MISSION Front - 110/80-19 Rear - 160/70-17
(I got the spoked rims and I guess some places don't change on those rims waiting on a quote from dealer)
Step 4 install engine guards
Step 5 Headlight assembly
Step 6 Ride till something breaks ( I do have to check the splines clean and grease'em up)
I'm also very happy and glad to find this group y'alls are real cool.
Smile Bow tie Flash photography Gesture Entertainment

·
Registered
06 R 1200 GS
12 Posts
Can I ask you, what did you replace the headlight with ?
The whole unit or just the bulb?
Whole unit is best IMO, really updates the look of the bike.
I think I went with this light. Humongous beam. Super easy to install.
Awesome, thanks crew.
I first need to get the oil leak figured out, the inner cylinder gasket should arrive tomorrow, nice thanksgiving project for the next coming days.

I'd say for sure gotta replace the headlight cuz when I was riding over nevada at night it was hard to see unless I had my High B on which I don't like to be that dude on the oncoming traffic.
Step 1 Replace the gasket
Step 2 Oil Change
Step 3 New tires Heidenau K60 Scouts OR Dunlop TRAILMAX MISSION Front - 110/80-19 Rear - 160/70-17
(I got the spoked rims and I guess some places don't change on those rims waiting on a quote from dealer)
Step 4 install engine guards
Step 5 Headlight assembly
Step 6 Ride till something breaks ( I do have to check the splines clean and grease'em up)
I'm also very happy and glad to find this group y'alls are real cool.
View attachment 34842
It’s good to have ya! Go easy tightening those valve cover bolts btw. If I think of other things I’ll let ya know.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
A $50 Denali light bar and some 3" LED light pods off Amazon will correct the lighting deficiency.

While going 1 size wider or narrower in tires is generally acceptable it does affect handling. Putting on wider tires will slow the handling. Personally, on the GS/GSA I stick with factory sizes unless I am using RT rims then I so with 120 front and 180 rear but that's a different kettle of fish,

Don't understand why some shops are picky about the tires they change. Take the wheel in and tell them is of a Honda. Likely the tire jockey will not know any difference and change it

You do not have to check and/or grease the splines but if you do not be prepared for the potential of accelerated wear and/or the splines becoming dogfast and extremely difficult to separate if and when you need too.

While you at it might to give the valves a check, possibly the alternator belt and check the driveline and telever ball joint rubber boots and replace if needed,

Cheers,

P-14

·
Registered
160 Posts
Will those LED replacements throw a fault with the CANBUS? On my’05, I tried to install an LED tail assembly that did not have adequate resistance, and couldn’t get my DIY resistor setup to work. Had to stick with the stocker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts