R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike is a 2010 R1200GS.
Without a history of any issues, it suddenly has zero oil pressure on start up. This presented as a rattle on start-up, getting louder over the next 10 seconds. I connected an oil pressure gauge on and it shows zero.
There IS oil in the engine to the right level.
I removed the oil pressure relief-valve. The spring is is okay and the relief-valve piston moves freely on and off the seat.
Are there any known issues with this model regarding oil pressure? Does anyone have any ideas?
Some input from others may save me some time in fault finding.

·
Registered
288 Posts
on a couple of occasions

Mine went away though. Longest instance lasted an hour or so. No idea re oil pressure though - no warning light/plenty in the sump etcMy suspicions were dodgy fuel (reinforced by me filling at other than my usual high-volume outlet).
How long did it last?
Following with interest.
911 show anything?
Greg

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine went away though. .....
If you are referring to the oil pressure dropping and then returning?

I should offer more detail: I serviced the starter motor on a friend's bike because of slow cranking issues. I suspected the battery but the dealer's opinion was the starter motor. After checking, cleaning and reassembling the starter, all was perfect. Over 8 sequences, I started the engine, switched off and took a battery reading (checking for recovery). On the 9th start, there was no oil pressure.
I have run the engine for about 10 seconds and there is no change. I'll take another look at it tomorrow afternoon.

My plan is to see if the oil level in the sight glass goes off when the engine starts. If it does, then I know the pump is working. If it circulates with no pressure, then there is something in the circuit that is open to relieve the pressure.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just as a follow-up. I still have no idea why there was no oil pressure but it has mysteriously healed. I am always suspect of any problem that comes and goes and I'm not satisfied that the issue will not recur. My friend picked up and rode his bike (the one in question) about 100km on the weekend without issue. I am stilled puzzled by it but happier about it than I was last week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts