R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Aluminum BMW boxes are a superior design to accept some damage. If you want bomb proof boxes, you have to make the boxes much heavier and beef up the pannier racks and mounting points further. A little dent on a pannier box saves bending and breakage in the rack and bike mounting points. if you have a major issue, you can drill out the rivets and replace some parts of the bmw box or just replace the box vs racks and mounts on your bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I dropped mine in a parking lot couple of weeks ago (failed to keep speed up in a U-turn). Fortunately the pannier was unscratched because I cushioned it by sticking my ankle between it and the ground. :( I have decent boots with some ankle protection (Dainese TRQ-Tour, not motocross level but better than plain leather). It's still annoying going down steps but it's continuing to improve. Pro tip: don't get old - you break easier and heal slower. If I were 20 years younger I'm sure I'd be 100% by now.

Reactions: patsrides

·
Registered
184 Posts
I dropped mine in a parking lot couple of weeks ago (failed to keep speed up in a U-turn). Fortunately the pannier was unscratched because I cushioned it by sticking my ankle between it and the ground. :( I have decent boots with some ankle protection (Dainese TRQ-Tour, not motocross level but better than plain leather). It's still annoying going down steps but it's continuing to improve. Pro tip: don't get old - you break easier and heal slower. If I were 20 years younger I'm sure I'd be 100% by now.
I see you are a 'Junior Member' of this august forum but by your own admission you are probably a 'Senior'.

Old age doesn't come alone.

Maturerider (clue's in the name)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I see you are a 'Junior Member' of this august forum but by your own admission you are probably a 'Senior'.

Old age doesn't come alone.

Maturerider (clue's in the name)
Ha! I searched out several forums when I got back into riding 10 years ago but for some reason didn't find this one so it wasn't in my forum collection I check and contribute to. Maybe I found it but ignored it since I entered BMW-land riding an RT? It took a while to come around to the GS world but mileage wise I'm 4:1 GSA:RT now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts