R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been doing some research about purchasing what I guess would amount to a topo map from Garmin. I’m curious about y’all’s experience with this compared to doing OSM maps. Is the Garmin map worth the $100?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have 2 Garmin gps units; a Nav V and a Montana 600 (hiking). I use OSM on the Montana which I used to use for both hiking and on my motorcycle. The only problems I ran into using it for the motorcycle is sharing routes with other Garmin users who use the Garmin maps. Once I get a route from someone, I would have to recalculate using my maps and then compare their route with mine and add shing points to ensure they matched. Occasionally my OSM would differ with Garmin maps on whether a road was gravel or paved, I was riding a Harley VRod and had my profile set to avoid non paved roads. Overall, it’s an OK option. I now have a GSA with NavV so all those troubles went away as I’m using Garmin maps and don’t care if a road is gravel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 2 Garmin gps units; a Nav V and a Montana 600 (hiking). I use OSM on the Montana which I used to use for both hiking and on my motorcycle. The only problems I ran into using it for the motorcycle is sharing routes with other Garmin users who use the Garmin maps. Once I get a route from someone, I would have to recalculate using my maps and then compare their route with mine and add shing points to ensure they matched. Occasionally my OSM would differ with Garmin maps on whether a road was gravel or paved, I was riding a Harley VRod and had my profile set to avoid non paved roads. Overall, it’s an OK option. I now have a GSA with NavV so all those troubles went away as I’m using Garmin maps and don’t care if a road is gravel.
So it sounds like the Garmin maps are probably worth the $99 especially if using the share route option. I'm guessing the Connected app doesn't offer any kind of off-road maps either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts