R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from a long cross country ride and after multiple long days in the saddle I started having a sharp on in the right shoulder and upper back. I’m guessing from the handlebar positioning. Any one experienced similar issues and any suggestions? Thanks

·
Survivor
682 Posts
Every year at the start of the riding season. I think it is caused by muscles getting used to carrying a helmet and the riding position. It helps if I concentrate on sitting up with a straight back, but is really a conditioning, or lack there of, issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked out the impingement syndrome but the pain is more mid clavicular radiating across the upper back. I’m thinking about changing the handlebar positioning or maybe it’s just muscular and needs to be massaged out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
How old are you? That is a huge factor in why stuff aches. At 56 my left shoulder is ruined. I can still hold the bars but long off road is like someone ramming a knitting needle through my shoulder. Rotator cuff is a mess. Torn this and that, crash impacts etc... Could be your bars, could be a life well lived.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use a Dainese kidney belt for long rides. It has a lower back support and keeps the back straight. Adjustable bar risers may also ease the shoulder pain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
43 years old, but it’s been a rough 43 on my back and all my joints. Thanks for the input all I will try some of these suggestions.

·
Registered
130 Posts
43 years old, but it’s been a rough 43 on my back and all my joints. Thanks for the input all I will try some of these suggestions.
I hear ya. Take your arm off the bars more often and let it hang and or rotate it. Leaning forward and back so you don't lock in one position is good, arms and back. Adjustable bar risers will help find that sweet spot. Other than that Advil? A535? Dunno

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've been suffering at both ends on long rides lately. The lower end from sliding forward with the seat in the low position and also experiencing pain between the shoulder blades. I raised the seat back up in the front, which helps a lot, although it puts me almost on tiptoes, which I don't like. I have ordered bar risers from Wunderlich and hope that will cure the back/shoulder issue.

Ergo Handlebar Risers (#41970011-111) Oil and Water Cooled (1994 to present) 41970011-111 | BMW Wunderlich America

·
Registered
7 Posts
I experience that same pain now and again, and like one of the previous posters, my 47 year old body has been through the wringer! I know it doesn't seem to help everybody, but occasional visits to my chiropractor have helped me tremendously!

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's related to the neck

I just returned from a long cross country ride and after multiple long days in the saddle I started having a sharp on in the right shoulder and upper back. I’m guessing from the handlebar positioning. Any one experienced similar issues and any suggestions? Thanks
Yeah, me too. I'm pretty sure it's related to the neck. I'm 77-years old. I think it's having the wind buffeting the helmet and the subtle tensing of the neck muscles which are tied into the shoulder muscles. (That's what my doctor says.) The pain is really, really sharp; like a burning sensation. Yeah? Try just letting your shoulders sag down. (Unconsciously, I find that I tense my shoulders upward.) Also, rotate your head around by twisting the neck. Especially, twisting it down and back. Yeah, I know, it doesn't work for me either. I figure it's just old age.

·
mymotovation
8 Posts
I literally feel your pain. I ride my GS everyday. This knife like pain in my right shoulder, is actually poor posture when I ride for extended periods. 2plus hours. My straight back is no longer straight and my shoulders pitch forward. After struggling for several hours New Hampshire to the MOA rally in Tennessee and back. I finally realized what I wasn’t doing. Practicing good posture on the bike. It’s a struggle to remember shoulders back and back straight. Once I started forcing myself to ride with good posture, the pain went away and didn’t return until I started to get lazy again. Try it... back straight and shoulders back. You may need to stretch your chest to achieve good results. To stretch your chest use a door way. Arms up to the sides of the door. Do several of those. Remember to breathe. Exhale on exertion. Good luck.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've got about 500 miles on my Wanderlich 40 mm risers and they seem to really help with the sitting up and relief on the shoulders part. Everyone's torso and arms are kind of different, but they work for me. It takes a little fooling around to get the bars rotated to the right height. AND, the bolts with the thin heads go in the handlebar indentions; won't work with any others... Installation instructions are rather terse.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Are you a shooting man? I found that when using a 12 bore shotgun my right shoulder would hurt. Then someone told me that I was holding the gun the wrong way round!!!!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Same pain - upper right back although it does tend to move around a bit. I actually removed my SW Motech risers leaving the bars in stock position. Thought I had it licked but then found I developed a crushing cramp in my right wrist/hand that was worse than the back pain. 8hr ride yesterday and my wrist is still hurting. Too much traffic to use cruise control. So, I've ordered Rox risers hoping the additional adjustability will get me to a sweet spot. BTW, have concentrated on relaxing my shoulders and practicing good posture but sadly, that did not work for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I get a dull ache in my left shoulder during a long day in the saddle on my 2017 GSA...
The exact same thing happens when I'm many many hours on my 2006 Goldwing which Ive
had since new.

My theory......Lack of blood flow...So I rotate my arm around when safe to do so...
Helps a bit.

Soon as I get off for a breather stop.....it rapidly fades away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts