R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I own a 2020 R1250 GSA. It is equipped with the black BMW branded panniers made by touratech. While stopped bike was struck from behind on the right pannier. The only damage besides some rash on a corner is the mounting lock clamp is bent. The lock still functions but because of the bent lock clamp the bag is loose. My dealership says the lock is not offered. Touratech USA told the dealership the lock is unavailable. E-mail to Touratech Germany is unanswered. Solutions?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It seems as though it should be the person who struck the bike from behind job to be investigating the possibility of a replacment lock or an entire pannier?

Since Touratech make the panniers and they and BMW are telling you the lock is not available for purchase you choices have become a lot more limited.

1. Buy a new pannier
2. Buy a good used pannier
3. Buy a used pannier that has been wrecked but has a good lock
4. Try and massage the existing lock/pannier back into shape.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
525 Posts
If the insurance does not work to get you a new pannier, PerazziMx14 listed most of the possible solutions if you want to maintain the lock functionality.

Now, if you are (or know someone who is) handy with tools, you could make something that 'lock' the pannier from the inside. That is what I've done for my Pelican conversion (stainless fitting removed from an accidented BMW pannier).

When on the bike, the aluminum sleeve is inside the rack, locking the case in place. I've done that last year, used it a lot and I trust it for my Nikon D750 setup.

There is knob inside to remove the stainless bolt in the sleeve and a 1/8" thick aluminum plate inside. Notice that my bolt is not in the plastic but in the thick stainless of the BMW part.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
This lock is available as a replacement from BMW. I ordered it when my friend made the akalaka plates for me for my soft luggage setup.
Lemme find the part number for you must be in my email

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello, I own a 2020 R1250 GSA. It is equipped with the black BMW branded panniers made by touratech. While stopped bike was struck from behind on the right pannier. The only damage besides some rash on a corner is the mounting lock clamp is bent. The lock still functions but because of the bent lock clamp the bag is loose. My dealership says the lock is not offered. Touratech USA told the dealership the lock is unavailable. E-mail to Touratech Germany is unanswered. Solutions? View attachment 30625
I had a problem with my lock and my dealer replaced it under warranty as it was defective. Did you check the parts fiche on the internet? Sorry didn’t see other posts. Please disregard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts