R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for help here. I recently bought a 2007 R1200GS with Vario side cases. They are beat up and I wanted to replace them. I found a pair of side cases from a 2010 GSA for a great deal and bought them. What pannier racks do I need to mount these up? Will 2010 GSA racks mount up to my GS? Will other years work? Do I have to get OEM BMW racks or will any other manufacturers racks work? Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,183 Posts
If these are the OEM GSA aluminum panniers you will need OEM GSA racks from any Hex/Camhead R1200GSA 2006 - 2013).

Also be advised that in 2013 the 1st half was the last of the Camhead the 2nd half the Waterhead was introduced. The 2013 GSW racks will not work.

Also when you find a set of pannier racks make sure they are complete. Not so much the nuts and bolts as they can be easily sourced but there are several adapters/brackets that if you have to buy individually from BMW (as most sellers will not part out their racks as it devalues them) are extremely expensive and will most likely double or triple the cost of you racks.

A fellow recently bought a set on the big adventure site for something like $75 but was missing the tee's that connect to the pillion peg bracket and two split clamps that attach to the main frame. Used parts are unobtanium and OEM will cost him about $400 for these simple but necessary parts.

Here is a pick of the racks you will need if you panniers are OEM

Automotive design Bicycle part Silver Composite material Nickel

Reactions: Krons

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
834 Posts
Hi Geoff, I have converted my 2009 GS from Vario to aluminum as you want to do. It's a direct bolt-on job. But, PerazziMx14 warning is really important. I have attached BMW's shop installation guides to help you determine if all the parts, nuts and bolts are present. There is a bunch of hard to find ($$) proprietary hardware.

Also note that the adventure rack will not allow the use of the Vario topcase.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If these are the OEM GSA aluminum panniers you will need OEM GSA racks from any Hex/Camhead R1200GSA 2006 - 2013).

Also be advised that in 2013 the 1st half was the last of the Camhead the 2nd half the Waterhead was introduced. The 2013 GSW racks will not work.

Also when you find a set of pannier racks make sure they are complete. Not so much the nuts and bolts as they can be easily sourced but there are several adapters/brackets that if you have to buy individually from BMW (as most sellers will not part out their racks as it devalues them) are extremely expensive and will most likely double or triple the cost of you racks.

A fellow recently bought a set on the big adventure site for something like $75 but was missing the tee's that connect to the pillion peg bracket and two split clamps that attach to the main frame. Used parts are unobtanium and OEM will cost him about $400 for these simple but necessary parts.

Here is a pick of the racks you will need if you panniers are OEM

View attachment 34599
Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Geoff, I have converted my 2009 GS from Vario to aluminum as you want to do. It's a direct bolt-on job. But, PerazziMx14 warning is really important. I have attached BMW's shop installation guides to help you determine if all the parts, nuts and bolts are present. There is a bunch of hard to find ($$) proprietary hardware.

Also note that the adventure rack will not allow the use of the Vario topcase.

View attachment 34602
Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts