R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm curious to know what those things weigh. Anyone want to toss their Brooks and/or Touratech panniers on a scale (include liners if you have them)? I'm purchasing panniers very soon but haven't made the hard vs soft choice yet. On the fence 50/50 right now...[/QUO

Shipping weight was 34 lbs, cardboard doesn't weigh too much of that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm curious to know what those things weigh. Anyone want to toss their Brooks and/or Touratech panniers on a scale (include liners if you have them)? I'm purchasing panniers very soon but haven't made the hard vs soft choice yet. On the fence 50/50 right now...[/QUO

Shipping weight was 34 lbs, cardboard doesn't weigh too much of that.
Wow! :surprise: How large are each pannier? Do you have the 37 & 41 liter set?

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
523 Posts
I run the old style Jesse's on my '05 . The ugly duckling of box sets. Fuctional, sturdy and hold a whole bunch of stuff. Utility is probably the key. Need to figure out a way to brace the top box better.

Plenty of clearance for my Remus exhaust as the mfr. allowed a relief in the design.

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've had good luck with the Brooks so far on my GSW. Racks seem stout, they are waterproof and half the cost of most other set ups. I forgot what they weight but I cannot get a medium Shoei in the larger side.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi would anyone know if BROOKS Panniers can be fit with the touratech toolbox already attached to my OEM Rails?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I ride a 1150 Adventure thinking of going to a 1200 and need to buy panniers. I'd appreciate user comments on BMW Vario, Jesse, Tourtech, Micatech etc. Survivability for low speed step-offs is important.
I have the Varios. Mostly happy with them. They are heavy, and the "vario" mechanism + the semi-rigid inner bags actually eat up quit a bit of the interior space, especially noticeable on the exhaust side. After a year I'm considering some alu panniers for longer trips.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
523 Posts
I have a 4 piece Jesse system. They may be butt ugly, but the design people understand cubic feet and storage space.
Left and right side boxes, tool box for rear mount and a top box that mounts atop the tool box.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Vario cases are great as long as you don't plan on riding too much off road. The plastic bags just don't hold up to the excessive jarring. I just purchased the BMW aluminum panniers and believe these bags will hold up to the off road use.
I wish the vario’s came with a flat black front panel. I guess one could always paint them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's a good spot for the toolbox. Was thinking about whoever makes one that replaces the pillion seat. My fiance is a rider, so 99% of the time I wouldn't even need the cushion back there. Plus, that'd bring that weight up closer to the golden triangle, which helps handling that much more.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My '17 GSA was a dealer demo and came with the BMW racks. The Brooks boxes fit very nicely, are sturdy (thus the weight), waterproof, so far, and take only a second to remove or install. For $300 each, I can't beat them.

·
Bike&Ski
102 Posts
I have been eyeing a pair of Moskomoto Backcountry side panniers along with a Brooks top case. Anyone here uses the Moskomoto?
I bought a hardly used set of Atacama (Made by Mosko for BMW) panniers and a top duffel. I haven't swapped out my Vario racks yet so haven't mounted the Mosko panniers but I used the top duffel on a recent week-long trip. The quality and attention to details is tremendous. I highly recommend their products.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the full set of Bumot panniers. They fit the OEM racks and I have been pleased with them. Parking lot drop and right side took the hit and held the bike up.

Attachments

21 - 37 of 37 Posts