R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a set of these Brooks panniers a couple months ago for my 2015 1200GSW. Since my GS is white is comes with a black frame, so I got the black panniers with the black mounting frame. I would point out that the panniers are $599 but you also have to get the frame as a separate purchase for about $140 IIRC.

I am impressed with the easy of mounting as I am not a mechanical type at all. The features and quality of construction are good as well.

One thing that a friend pointed out to me who traveled the world for a few years. The OEM or Vario panniers can be lifted off and carried into a hotel room, whereas these panniers are fixed (relatively speaking, with their 'puck' mounting system). His point was that in another country many time he would be surrounded by dozens of people or kids all curious about his bike. Opening a pannier to get something out would be inviting disaster as quick, tiny hands could grab something and disappear.

Another nit is the mounting hardware. They sent regular stainless nuts to for the mounting frame, which is nice, but those nuts are critical. I went to Ace Hardware and replaced them with nylock nuts so there is no question about them ever backing off.

Also, I think the paint on these is somewhat 'soft' as far as the quality. In my particular case, I have a tight garage so I need to remove the panniers each time I parked the bike to fit it in with the car. I stack the panniers on the side. I noticed after several times there were some light scratches on the top of one of them, where I had stacked the other one on it. The little hard plastic 'feet' were causing small, light scratches just from sitting on the top. Now I stack them with a cloth covering the bottom one.

I am thinking about getting some of that plastic covering material they put on cars to protect the paint. I have not found a small roll yet and the stuff is expensive. But I worry about boots and bugs and stuff over time with these. They will need something to prevent visible wear and scuffs. The paint is just not up to snuff.

For the price diff I would sure do these again - they are solid, heavy duty, good quality latches and mounting hardware. Just be aware and pay attention to the paint. I would welcome anyone else to relay their experience with them. (I have not traveled with them yet).

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
I am thinking about getting some of that plastic covering material they put on cars to protect the paint. I have not found a small roll yet and the stuff is expensive. But I worry about boots and bugs and stuff over time with these. They will need something to prevent visible wear and scuffs. The paint is just not up to snuff.
You may wish to give these guys a try: https://www.xpel.com/products/bulk.asp

XPEL Technologies Corp.
618 W. Sunset Road
San Antonio, Texas 78216 U.S.A
Toll Free: (800) 447-9928
International: (210) 678-3700
Fax: (210) 678-3701

I've used their products and they're quite good. I hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
i finally ordered the top case to complement to SIDE PANNIERS that i have.

i should receive it tomorrow. i will post a utube review about that as well.

my panniers so far has been holding on very well, and they are pretty easy to remove to take to a hotel or what ever, or keep it locked.
they have been thru rain, cold, storms and offroad..

i will keep you all posted!.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Tech Spec sells their shark skin in sheets that can be sized for the pannier lids, this will protect them from boot scuffs and any other issues with scratching you may have.. Will also cover up the scratches you already have....
good idea.
but i like marks and scuffs...

SCARS OF WAR AND ADVENTURE looks good on these adventure bikes! :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I got a set of these Brooks panniers a couple months ago for my 2015 1200GSW. Since my GS is white is comes with a black frame, so I got the black panniers with the black mounting frame. I would point out that the panniers are $599 but you also have to get the frame as a separate purchase for about $140 IIRC.

I am impressed with the easy of mounting as I am not a mechanical type at all. The features and quality of construction are good as well.

One thing that a friend pointed out to me who traveled the world for a few years. The OEM or Vario panniers can be lifted off and carried into a hotel room, whereas these panniers are fixed (relatively speaking, with their 'puck' mounting system). His point was that in another country many time he would be surrounded by dozens of people or kids all curious about his bike. Opening a pannier to get something out would be inviting disaster as quick, tiny hands could grab something and disappear.

Another nit is the mounting hardware. They sent regular stainless nuts to for the mounting frame, which is nice, but those nuts are critical. I went to Ace Hardware and replaced them with nylock nuts so there is no question about them ever backing off.

Also, I think the paint on these is somewhat 'soft' as far as the quality. In my particular case, I have a tight garage so I need to remove the panniers each time I parked the bike to fit it in with the car. I stack the panniers on the side. I noticed after several times there were some light scratches on the top of one of them, where I had stacked the other one on it. The little hard plastic 'feet' were causing small, light scratches just from sitting on the top. Now I stack them with a cloth covering the bottom one.

For the price diff I would sure do these again - they are solid, heavy duty, good quality latches and mounting hardware. Just be aware and pay attention to the paint. I would welcome anyone else to relay their experience with them. (I have not traveled with them yet).

which paint were you talking about ? panniers are not painted. also they fit 1200GSA without additional mounts

·
Administrator
1,399 Posts
These look like a knock-off of the Touratech panniers who, by the way, make the BMW brand hard cases for the Adventure. The size is listed as being different. I'm waiting on Touratech to ship my panniers as they've been backordered. The Touratech representatives recently visited my BMW dealer and told them that the latest revision of their hard cases are an improved version with stronger and more water tight rim construction. I'll post up photos and my impressions when they're received and installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks so much x7289155 for posting this and the video!

i have a new to me 2007 1200gs and have been agonizing the last week over buying the touratech for $1500. i have the oem vario slide out cases and they are complete junk. but i didn't want to spend $1500 either on new ones. also the givi and sw motech are $1200-$1300 so i haven't found anything else.

until your post. i also appreciate the fact the box is cut out for the exhaust pipe, that's one of the things that bothered me about the others.

so thanks a bunch as i just ordered a set and the rack. $800 shipped to my door. huge savings.

i see you're in orange. i'm up in West LA, i'll hit you up privately if you want to go out for a ride.

david

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out the Jesse cases also!Jesse Luggage Systems | The Most Durable and Functional Products for Adventure Touring Motorcyclists
I had them on my vstrom a few years ago and loved them. I'm looking at the triple black GS and will probably go with the Jesse's

i have a new to me 2007 1200gs and have been agonizing the last week over buying the touratech for $1500. i have the oem vario slide out cases and they are complete junk. but i didn't want to spend $1500 either on new ones. also the givi and sw motech are $1200-$1300 so i haven't found anything else.

until your post. i also appreciate the fact the box is cut out for the exhaust pipe, that's one of the things that bothered me about the others.

so thanks a bunch as i just ordered a set and the rack. $800 shipped to my door. huge savings.

i see you're in orange. i'm up in West LA, i'll hit you up privately if you want to go out for a ride.

david

·
Registered
3 Posts
oops...sorry...didn't read your post well enough to see you already ordered some panniers....:grin2::grin2:

david

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

i have a new to me 2007 1200gs and have been agonizing the last week over buying the touratech for $1500. i have the oem vario slide out cases and they are complete junk. but i didn't want to spend $1500 either on new ones. also the givi and sw motech are ust ordered a set and the rack. $800 shipped to my door. huge savings.

david

hey david, yea i;m up for a ride, i have the gs and another smaller enduro for the tougher rougher trails. email me here [email protected]

i like my panniers, they are great, i received the top case yesterday from brooks, i will be installing it on my gs and making another video for it.

i think the price savings deserves a video!... $1500 for panniers is PURE RIPP OFF. the top case i got was $299.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
These look like a knock-off of the Touratech panniers who, by the way, make the BMW brand hard cases for the Adventure. The size is listed as being different. I'm waiting on Touratech to ship my panniers as they've been backordered. The Touratech representatives recently visited my BMW dealer and told them that the latest revision of their hard cases are an improved version with stronger and more water tight rim construction. I'll post up photos and my impressions when they're received and installed.
i would not label it, KNOCK OFF, i would say DIFFERENT.
knock off means same attachment method same design etc. these boxes are different.

yea touratech/bmw is cool but i just could not justify spending $1500 for the side and another $600+ for the top case. I was also being charged like $350 into lock cylinders...
$2100 for cases in my opinion is just too much, specially if you also depend on it to protect your bike in case you lay it down.
If you are a dealer and not paying for it, it may make sense to you but for buyers on budget... hmm... we look at it from a different angle.
i like my set and they are holding up fine!. i will post a video tomorrow about the top case and show my existing ones after 2 months+ of use!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Brooks top case for 1200gs adventure

i finally received the top case and it's really nice, its only $299.
great quality and sturdy, here is a video of the install.

·
Registered
8 Posts
got mine yesterday, they are really nice. a bonus surprise is there is no hinge (they must have updated it), as it has a lockset front and back, just like all the others panniers, so the top can come completely off.

big difference between $1500 and $800. they're aluminum panniers that i expect to get dinged up, scratched et all. quality seems decent enough. not surprised someone jumped on this opportunity to offer a more affordable version as it's just aluminum, some plastic and a lockset. these things aren't rocket science.

x7289155, cool, i'll hit you up. i also have a klx250s for the more offroad stuff too.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
got mine yesterday, they are really nice. a bonus surprise is there is no hinge (they must have updated it), as it has a lockset front and back, just like all the others panniers, so the top can come completely off.

big difference between $1500 and $800. they're aluminum panniers that i expect to get dinged up, scratched et all. quality seems decent enough. not surprised someone jumped on this opportunity to offer a more affordable version as it's just aluminum, some plastic and a lockset. these things aren't rocket science.

x7289155, cool, i'll hit you up. i also have a klx250s for the more offroad stuff too.
seriously? mine has a hinge.
btw they are stainless steel not aluminum.
stainless steel is much more expensive, sturdy, and can handle harsh environmental conditions.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Can someone confirm the overall mounted width of these side cases on a 1200GSWC?
Thanks.
after i got my top case, i took out my side panniers and rack.
it's just easier to ride with top case alone,
so i cannot verify for you.

i decided to use the side panniers on trips only

·
Registered
3 Posts
seriously? mine has a hinge.
btw they are stainless steel not aluminum.
stainless steel is much more expensive, sturdy, and can handle harsh environmental conditions.
BMW panniers and top case are aluminum with stainless steel hinges. If they were all stainless they would be heavy as hell. I just saw a new set at BMW Kansas City and they appear, look and feel flimsy.

Cowboy

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes walls are aluminum on the brooks too. just checked. 2mm wall and 3mm bottom. it's a brushed aluminum.

the only complaint is the weld on the left one is a little messy, not as clean as could be but good enough. you can see it in the picture. not a big deal, but the only thing i don't love about them. everything else is great.

here the front and back showing the locksets;

21 - 40 of 58 Posts