41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question for the owners of the Brooks... after a few months of ownership, what is your take on them?

I am planning a trip that panniers will be required but after that trip, the use would be limited to maybe once a month or even, every other month so I am not sure if it cost of the original BMW is justified

I appreciate and welcome the comments

thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Question for the owners of the Brooks... after a few months of ownership, what is your take on them?

I am planning a trip that panniers will be required but after that trip, the use would be limited to maybe once a month or even, every other month so I am not sure if it cost of the original BMW is justified

I appreciate and welcome the comments

thanks!
well, i'm not using them a lot, i use the top case the most. i plan to use the panniers on camping trips only. i had them on for like 3 or 4 weeks and maybe 2 or 3 offroad rides but they were empty. no load in it. they held up fine. You must paint the metal pieces that hold panniers against the rack with anti rust spray. cause i saw some rust building on it. the spray worked fine and they are not visible. i'm also not very impressed with their water proofness, so you may need to modifications to the seals to make them 100% water proof if u plan to ride thru creeks and water crossing.
other than that, i still think they are a great value. i still need to test them offroad with load.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pannier cases with Touratech Toolbox

Anyone know which Panniers models are compatible with Touratech toolbox. I have the 2016 R1200GS Adventure. I see that brooks panniers have the puck system and dont think those will work. Ive seen OEM BMW have different linking mechanisms.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Anyone know which Panniers models are compatible with Touratech toolbox. I have the 2016 R1200GS Adventure. I see that brooks panniers have the puck system and dont think those will work. Ive seen OEM BMW have different linking mechanisms.
I'v been planning to purchase that toolbox,

i do believe that with some little modifications, that toolbox would fit behind the brooks panniers.
my friend has that toolbox, i just need to swing by his place, take some photos and be 100% sure it fits without major modifications before i order it.

and if i was not able to fit it, i'll just not use them at the same time, that is, if i have my panniers installed, i can uninstall the toolbox cause i wont really need it, i will just store the tools in the panniers on that trip, and when i dont have the panniers, i can have the toolbox just because i don't have another location for the tools.

on a daily basis, i use my top box, i only use the panniers when we go on a long trip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hex bit

I bought a 2016 GS on Saturday and received my Brooks Panniers on Monday!

The panniers look great but there were no instructions to install. I sent a note to Brooks and they sent some photos. Today, I discovered that I will need a six point bit to remove the BMW screws. I took a quick look on this site but couldn't find an answer. Can someone advise me where to get the bit? Sorry to ask this but I thought I would ask here before wandering around Home Depot or Advanced Auto.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I bought a 2016 GS on Saturday and received my Brooks Panniers on Monday!

The panniers look great but there were no instructions to install. I sent a note to Brooks and they sent some photos. Today, I discovered that I will need a six point bit to remove the BMW screws. I took a quick look on this site but couldn't find an answer. Can someone advise me where to get the bit? Sorry to ask this but I thought I would ask here before wandering around Home Depot or Advanced Auto.
AMAZON, get a whole set.
this is a very good set,
and comes with a case
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LXLN9YY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
348 Posts
Reviving this thread to ask how these panniers have been holding up when loaded and bounced around a lot? I always keep my hard cases on the bike as they are filled with all the crap I carry both on and off road. Everyone still happy?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Reviving this thread to ask how these panniers have been holding up when loaded and bounced around a lot? I always keep my hard cases on the bike as they are filled with all the crap I carry both on and off road. Everyone still happy?
they are holding up good, i used them on a bunch of occasions and 1 camping trip 800 miles.
Here are some small mods though that i think you could do to make them 100% excellent:
- Buy the black version IF NOT, i suggest the following:
- the hinges, hardware and metal bar that holds the pannier to the rack: I saw some marks of rust/corrosion on them, it was not rusted/corroded, there was just some bronze marks. the way i fixed this is by painting all the hardware with Rust Stop black paint from any hardware store. it also looks better. You can also use grease on the threads.
- I did not paint the hinge yet, i think i can clean it, i can send you a photo. OR better yet, the black version will not have these issues.
- The mechanism that hold the panniers to the rack IS good and i never had an issue with it, but i just added an extra rubber grommet on the inside. i got the grommets from harbor freight (see link below) and they seal any possibility of water migrating from that bolt, and it greatly helps absorb all the shocks and distribute the load on the nut when i hit bumps and such. I did this mod as a personal preference, the system did not fail on me. I just like to mod stuff to make last long before it fails.

That's what i used, $5 for 180 pieces :D. just a good big one that fits.
180 Piece Harness Grommet Set

other than that, the panniers are really good and work well and pretty sturdy. I believe if you contact them they may give you free shipping or discounts, don't just buy them off their site, unless they have been selling a lot now :D.
Also please note that I DO NOT USE THEM DAILY, i only use them on big rides, camping trips etc. So when they are used, they are fully loaded with weight.
for my short 1 day rides i use a tail bag that sits in place of my passenger seat, and daily rides i just use a net on the rack.

let me know if you have questions, if you like photos, i'll be happy to send you some when i get off work, just send me ur email.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks X. I'm uncertain about putting black cases on due to the frequency with which this bike takes naps at the most inopportune of times. I only had my '15 GSA a couple of months when I took out a gas pump cradle in Mexico, creasing my side case and it was all downhill from there. Good news was it only cost me $1K pesos to make everyone happy and get me on my way. If I did the same with the black cases I'm afraid I would be forever spraying black paint to hide the shiny stuff under the black coating each time my beast goes over.

Reactions: Jewel_Rider

·
Froggy
2 Posts
Brooks top case

I have the brooks panniers and would like to go for the top case also on my 2017 R1200GSA. Since I have very limited space in the garage, can somebody tell me, how much the length of the motorcycle inceases with the top case rack mounted? I guess, it would be no problem to take the top case off very time before parking, but the rack stays on.

Thx

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ordered side & top for my 12GS. I will post pics when installed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sides installed. Top box bracket on back order.

Because the SC Project exhaust, I need to make some heat shield to protect the plastic mounting piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
These panniers are certainly worth their weight in gold.
Very nice looking and solid looking.

The deal breaker for me is the latching lock. They are inside. I prefer the instant hook on hook off system of BMW or Touratech.

Nevertheless this is a good set, cheap.

>:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello all,
I am in the opinion that BMW overcharges the side and top box, also, I find it very difficult to find them available in the market, so I tried an AMERICAN company called GlobaScoutusa.com and purchase the side cases only as I already had purchased the GIVI Treker 58Lts.
Verdict:
All cases (boxes) are built STRONGER, with all metal attachments (no plastics)
Very nice Aluminum (silver or black)
Same weight as OEM
They are PLUG and PLAY in the OEM BMW GS Adventure structure, so no need to change the frame, the only thing I had to do is to remove the 2 screws for the side reflector to mount the side boxes
And I find them MUCH MORE efficient, as they built it around the frame to be closer, thus allowing a bit more space than the OEM BMW cases, in special the MUFFLER side.
I decided to give it a try and LUCKED OUT as the are CHEAPER, STRONGER, more EFFICIENT and much nicer looking...in my opinion.
Cheers

Attachments

41 - 58 of 58 Posts