R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here goes!

I'm interested in adding accessories to my New R1200GSA. My old bike ('08Ninja 250) has a Compact Fuse Block FZ-1 with Built-In Relay which I like, but progress has come in the form of the PDM60 and then I see the HexEXCan and while looking/researching that I come across the Denali CanSmart. Is the HexECan that much better a system than the PDM-60 and is the Denali CanSmart even better than the HexEZCan.

I only see one advantage I see to the PDM60; six connections.
The Hex and CanSmart advantage being plug and play (to an extent). And wunderwheel compatibility [which includes controlling heat gear(?)].

PDM60 = $200
EXCan = $169 for the GSA
CanSmart = $239

Anyone with experience on any or all I'd welcome comments. If there is another link to a thread let me know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used an accessory fuse block with my old 1150GSA. The bike didn't come with a lot of electrical stuff so the fuse block was essential for my farkle obsession.

When I bought my new '17 GSA in December I soon realized that the new bike came with many of the things I 'added' to my old bike. The Hex ezCan fitted my bill just fine as it allowed me to add on an additional pair of aux lights (amber lens), air horn and two lower amp accessories. Now remember that if you have more than two low amp accessories you can 'splice' them together into one of the channels. I have my radar detector and Skene P3 lights into one 4a channel.

So for me, it is very slick with lots of options and a very clean install. There is a lot of information on on-line forums available on both the Hex ezCan and the Denali version. Keep in mind that both of these units are made by the same people....the GS911 developers. IIRC they offered the CanSmart unit with a 3 wire configuration specifically for the Denali lights.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So for me, it is very slick with lots of options and a very clean install. There is a lot of information on on-line forums available on both the Hex ezCan and the Denali version. Keep in mind that both of these units are made by the same people....the GS911 developers. IIRC they offered the CanSmart unit with a 3 wire configuration specifically for the Denali lights.
Thanks Ron from BC, that's what I'm thinking. The price is right too, being several dollar cheaper than the PDM60. I watched the Denali CanSmart vs HexEZCan video on Twisted Throttle. About $70 more for that puppy. Just don't being that much easier to install.

Right now, I'm looking at 1) AUX Lights, 2) Sound Bomb, 3) Skene, 4) heated gear, 5) second GPS, 6) power for phone, etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would put the heated gear direct to the battery. If you check the amp draw on the Skene P3, USB charger and GPS I'll bet two at least would work on one low amp channel. I personally use a USB charger with Hella/Din/BMW plug into the accessory socket at the front right and put the device into my tank bag....just my preference.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Options

Is nice that PDM 60 gives you 60 amps--a definite plus. If you were going to have a heated circuit for a passenger then the Hex's 25 amp current limitation might be unwelcome. I do power heated gear via my Hex, on one if its two 10 amp circuits. It draws nominally 6 amps max, but I rarely have it turned up even close to max. The Wunderwheel integration (regardless of what circuit you use it for) is what makes the Hex especially useful. I use it for my heated gear. Nice not to have to use "trigger wires" with the Hex--it is built in, so less wiring. The Hex gets all of its 25 amps via a dedicated wire direct to the battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am keener on adding farkles than my skills sometimes allow me. I fitted an EzCan to my GS and my wife’s R. It was a really easy install for both bikes. I added auxiliary lights, tail/brake lights and extra power outlets on both bikes. I wanted the riding lights on separate channels for the extra features that allows. I have a Stebel fitted but I wired it direct to the battery with a relay. Plenty of room on the gs for that. Very pleased with the units and their programable features, highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have an Eastern Beaver PC-8 on mine. Works awesome, I used a posi-tap to get switched power right under the front seat where I mounted it. Six switched fuses and two unswitched. You can get it with a 30A relay kit or a 50A relay kit. I got the 30A relay kit in 2015 - was $90 plus S&H.

Looks like it's maybe $5 more now than it was then, but it's performed flawlessly. Something to consider unless you want to pay more for the same or less funcionality.:wink2:

https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-8.html

Reactions: Viking

·
Registered
55 Posts
PDM-60 mounted on the external area right side just below the seat like it was made for it..easy to read the coding LED’s.
I did the same thing Clay. I put Skene P3 Taillights, Schroedie Roundel lights (under the BMW badges on the tank) and a Powerlet socket on my a 15A circuit from the PDM60. Powerlet made a great kit for BMW R1200GSA - mounts by left Passenger foot peg - protected by a rubber boot on the back and within the triangle of the foot peg - looks OEM!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Picks of my PDM60 and Farkle Install

Here's what mine looks like - similar to Clay...
PDM 60 on right side - mainly b/c of the Battery access. Had I been smarter, I would have used a waterproof "butt" connector or splice to add length to the red (12/10AWG?) battery main power for the PDM...that would have let me put the PDM underneath the seat and be a little more protected. Second photo is my Schroedie Roundel LEDs. They're running lights at white, and flash yellow with turn signals and hazards. Last is my socket for heated jacket and glove liners (Powerlet Atomic Skin). PM me if you want more specifics.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here's what mine looks like - similar to Clay...
PDM 60 on right side - mainly b/c of the Battery access. Had I been smarter, I would have used a waterproof "butt" connector or splice to add length to the red (12/10AWG?) battery main power for the PDM...that would have let me put the PDM underneath the seat and be a little more protected. Second photo is my Schroedie Roundel LEDs. They're running lights at white, and flash yellow with turn signals and hazards. Last is my socket for heated jacket and glove liners (Powerlet Atomic Skin). PM me if you want more specifics.
Got more pics of your flashy badges? I like those!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.