R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a 2016 (loaded) with 28,550 miles delivered today. Wow. Very impressive machine. On the test ride, I was very nervous and gently rolled on the throttle on a completely empty 4-lane highway. Quickly looked down and saw "100". Figured "Oh these Germans that must be kilometers". Nope. The windscreen blocking the wind and the relaxed lope of the engine were something I had never experienced! I was sold.
It has no service records which is annoying. I also know there are some farkles I will want to add but one step at a time!
Ordering an owner's manual and a Haynes service manual (not that I am competent to do ANY maintenance!).
Oh yeah, I am 100% street rider. I am 6'3" with a 35" inseam, arthritis, back pain, and hip replacements. So I need the tall upright seating position. Very grateful such a comfortable bike exists for me.

BileOnStreet.jpg
GaryWithBike.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,012 Posts
Welcome, great bike for a tall guy. The maintenance is easy, lots of threads here on it.

All easy DIY:
engine oil & filter change
gearbox oil change
air filter change
final drive gear oil
lube final drive splines

Valve adjustments are a bit more involved but lots of YouTube help if you want to tackle it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The bike looks great, Congratulations! It is a comfy bike, I was suirprised how smooth it is, especially after my Honda CBF1000 and I thought that was a comfy bike! I got the same panniers but removed them for now, did you noticed how heavy they are?!
What farkles do you want to add?
Enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome, great bike for a tall guy. The maintenance is easy, lots of threads here on it.

All easy DIY:
engine oil & filter change
gearbox oil change
air filter change
final drive gear oil
lube final drive splines

Valve adjustments are a bit more involved but lots of YouTube help if you want to tackle it.
What is engine oil? Just joking. Figure I will ease into it. Get the initial service under my ownership at the dealer just to have a baseline. From there well depends on how brave I am!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bike looks great, Congratulations! It is a comfy bike, I was suirprised how smooth it is, especially after my Honda CBF1000 and I thought that was a comfy bike! I got the same panniers but removed them for now, did you noticed how heavy they are?!
What farkles do you want to add?
Enjoy!
Haven't really noticed anything yet except that the average speed and average consumption in the computer are useless! First step is to get useful information into that screen. I did buy bag liners so I don't plan on taking the bags off pretty much ever. Then I have to figure out the navigation system (brand new yes I have been reading about it from the crowd who despises it).
I figure I need a bluetooth helmet to work best with the nav system (rather than connecting it to my phone and using that voice control).
I am happy with the aftermarket screen. On my test ride, I was being careful as I haven't ridden a bike this heavy and powerful and heavy in a long time. So I rolled on the throttle, looked down and saw "100" on the speedometer. I figured it must be the Germans using kilometers. Nope. engine was sooooo smooth and screen blocked the wind that I missed the usual indicators of speed!

I don't trust the kickstand - thinking of a bigger footprint.
Don't really like the matching top box; saw soft bags that could be easily detached and carried. Might meet my needs better.
Oh a Pittsburgh Steelers license plate cover!

Will be looking for solutions once I find problems that's for sure.

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL / 2020 R1250GS
13 Posts
Philly suburbs and a Steelers plate frame? You may as well go for broke and put in a Penguins sticker on it....

Try the Illium works footplate for your GS - Heavier gauge and great fit-n-finish. Better price than others. I have one on each of my bikes. Just make sure to order the one for the WC GS - normal suspension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts