R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think some clearance will be needed to turn the phone. If it sits flush with the GPS it might foul with it while inserting or removing.
@mhcolumbus can answer it better though why he chose this set up
It sits just in front of the gps so I can rotate the phone. I replaced the din plug with the dual usb from touratech and got a 1 foot charge cable to run to the phone. The wireless would make it not sleek anymore but if the gps was gone I would consider it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
@mhcolumbus and @virkdoc Just to clarify, I do not have the stock GPS mount on the bar any more. The original owner took it off. I could see mounting the wireless charging module on the bar. This seems like a great solution for my iPhone X.
Then the mirror mount should be perfect for you along with the charger and right in ur line of sight would act as a GPS etc. If you do go this way please post some pics

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ordered the Moto Mirror Bundle for the iPhone X. I wanted to see how it fit before getting the wireless charging module. I have a USB adapter and a gray lightning cable, and while they work, I think a 1' cable would be optimal. I'm happy to report: it's very nice, both visually and and securely. It almost looks like it was made for the GS. I haven't ridden with it yet (later today), but I'm optimistic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ordered the Moto Mirror Bundle for the iPhone X. I wanted to see how it fit before getting the wireless charging module. I have a USB adapter and a gray lightning cable, and while they work, I think a 1' cable would be optimal. I'm happy to report: it's very nice, both visually and and securely. It almost looks like it was made for the GS. I haven't ridden with it yet (later today), but I'm optimistic.

View attachment 27064 View attachment 27065 View attachment 27066
That looks awesome. You don't need to worry about it coming off. My phone has done thousands of miles and I use one on my mountain and road bikes. It's as secure as you can get.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That looks awesome. You don't need to worry about it coming off. My phone has done thousands of miles and I use one on my mountain and road bikes. It's as secure as you can get.
Thanks, so far I'm very impressed. I'm about to go test it.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
120 Posts
Allow me an unpopular advice about the phones mount... don't... and keep your phone in a safe place.

Let say that you have a small accident, nothing big, just enough to send you out of the road, maybe down in the ditch, slightly wounded, maybe a leg trapped under the bike. You want your phone were you can reach it. Not on the bike, which can be out of your reach or ejected and somewhere. You want it in your pocket, in a protective case.

If you ride out of the beaten path, it's even worst.

GSP chips used in cell phones are at best, shitty. GPS antennas are too small and shadowed by too much other antennas (Bluetooth, Cell, WiFi, NFC, etc). Cell phones can only obtain a good precision by combining the gps signal with triangulating the cell phones tower. If you are out of the cell coverage, the precision drops significatively.

Battery autonomy of cell phones is limited, if you are in trouble, having to choose between finding your way back or calling for help is no fun.

If you use your GS for what it's made for, getting lost and back... do yourself a favor and mount a real gps on it.

Or even better, two (on my R1200GS, when I travel in remote places, I have a Zumo 660 (on a ram mount, over the speedometer) and a GPSMAP 60CSx (left side of handlebar) Both are powered by the bike but I keep 2 sets of AA batteries for the 60CSx in my emergency kit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@20-100 thanks for your very reasonable thoughts on this. It's hard to argue with you, and when funds become available, I just might pick up a dedicated GPS. I have noticed that the phone also presents other drawbacks, like when I forget to disable notifications, that make it less-than-ideal for the motorcycle. Still, Waze is pretty nice to use on the bike, but it looks the Garmin Zumo XT would be a nice upgrade.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Allow me an unpopular advice about the phones mount... don't... and keep your phone in a safe place.

Let say that you have a small accident, nothing big, just enough to send you out of the road, maybe down in the ditch, slightly wounded, maybe a leg trapped under the bike. You want your phone were you can reach it. Not on the bike, which can be out of your reach or ejected and somewhere. You want it in your pocket, in a protective case.

If you ride out of the beaten path, it's even worst.

GSP chips used in cell phones are at best, shitty. GPS antennas are too small and shadowed by too much other antennas (Bluetooth, Cell, WiFi, NFC, etc). Cell phones can only obtain a good precision by combining the gps signal with triangulating the cell phones tower. If you are out of the cell coverage, the precision drops significatively.

Battery autonomy of cell phones is limited, if you are in trouble, having to choose between finding your way back or calling for help is no fun.

If you use your GS for what it's made for, getting lost and back... do yourself a favor and mount a real gps on it.

Or even better, two (on my R1200GS, when I travel in remote places, I have a Zumo 660 (on a ram mount, over the speedometer) and a GPSMAP 60CSx (left side of handlebar) Both are powered by the bike but I keep 2 sets of AA batteries for the 60CSx in my emergency kit.
Makes sense....I only use the phone when my Nav cant find a way or has found a way which I feel is incorrect....their India maps are not too awesome.....then I take it out and mount it.
I just upgraded to mount my phone next to the NAV taking an idea from this thread. Used a RAM small rail mount, a small arm and the Ram X mount which I already had. Phone has come right in view now.....makes negotiating the small streets of Indian towns much easier.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I like riding alone, sometimes out if cell coverage, been looking at Garmin InReach units. Reviews seem better than Spot.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts