R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2015 has them on it. I just got the bike so I don't have a really in depth review for you but they are pretty sticky on dry asphalt too the point that I forgot they weren't true road tires.

The front is very noisy 50 mph and up but it tracks well.

Have not gotten them off road yet, but delving into the Nav V on the bike, I found the previous owners tracks and he did a good mix of 50/50 riding. Most of the off road riding on forest service roads that are a mix of packed clay, mud, loose gravel and packed gravel and the bike has never been on its side if that tells you anything.

The rear is in need of replacement while the front is still meaty. I don't know how many miles are on them but there is about 8k total on the bike.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey everyone,
i took my chances and tried them on.

So i have already run about 1000 miles on them, on road they are amazing, they are loud compared to the anakees but not annoying. No wobbling at all at high speeds, and when it comes to turning... they are amazing.

Off road i haven't done much yet but from what i have tried so far i am very satisfied, definitely not for heavy mud though...

·
Registered
22 Posts
"they are loud compared to the anakees"

not so in my opinion
the anakees were disgustingly loud. what were Michelin thinking when they designed AND released these tyres. longevity & performance was not great either.

the Rally STR are only slightly louder than Pirelli Scorpion Trail II (which are way quieter than the anakees) and nearly as smooth on slick seal surfaces.

i wear earplugs so maybe they filter the Pirelli tyre noise frequency better than the anakee

·
Registered
615 Posts
what were Michelin thinking when they designed AND released these tyres. longevity & performance was not great either.
If you're referring to the Anakee Wilds, they were thinking that they wanted to make a tire with as much off-road cred as the benchmark TKC 80 but with longer life - or at least that's what their launch talk was when they released the tire. On that score, they accomplished what they set out to do but at a premium price over the Contis. After running multiple sets of the TKC80s, I've had them on my 1200GS for the past season of off-road riding and they've been as good or better in the schmutz as the TKC 80; just as noisy as hell; and are wearing longer.

If you're referring to the Anakee IIIs, they're a relatively simple 80/20 tire with no dual compound construction - about what you'd expect from an OEM tire. They're much quieter than the Wilds or TKC80s and definitely do wear longer and work well in the wet.

For you guys who only rarely venture off the pavement, none of these tires are a good fit for your riding including the STR. Just go ahead and put a Roadsmart, Road 5, or similar big bike touring tire on it and it'll be fine for the occasional jaunt off down a gravel road.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently installed a set of Pirelli Rally STRs on my 2015 GS. Replaced Anakee IIIs. What a difference in gravel, especially with a grade. Riding up my 3/10 mile driveway (gravel, 15% grade, hairpin turns) with the Anakees was a challenge and I would not dare try it two up, the way the bike slipped and skittered up hill. With the STRs, the bike just keeps going - no slip at all, even two up. I've read the comments about the STRs being noisy on the highway. They do hum, but at least they don't howl like the Anakees did in the turns. Can't comment on the tread life, but so far I love the STRs. Perfect for my Blue Ridge MTN riding, including all the gravel roads. And Revzilla currently has them 50% off...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Scorpion Rally STR

I just bought a set from Revzilla, great deal. No off-road yet but did 150 miles yesterday on pavement. Tires were great. Did not notice any difference in handling between the Anakee IIIs and the Scorpions. The tires started making noticable noise around 80mph and then it started going away around 85. Below 80, I did not notice any difference between my previous tires and the Scorpions. On pavement, these are great tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Going to install these today after 1000km with TKC80s. Love TKC80 off-road, but I have 2000km trip ahead and wanted something less noisy and more pavement biased for this trip. Of course I will try STRs off-road(gravel, clay and sand). Looks like the rear tire will provide good grip off-road, not so sure about front tire especially in deep sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
First 1000km with STRs on my R1200GS LC 2017 and they howl at speed 70-85km/h and then again at 120-140km/h. Front tyre 2.5 bar and rear tyre 2.9 as per PIRRELI recommendation.
It so irritating, probably I will change them very soon. For me definitely that tyre is not for tarmac.
If is anyone of you who reading this post from UAE I'll sell tires for 800 AED new cost 1700 AED (1000 km only).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts