R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching on the internet for reviews on tyres, particularly the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 and have not found much so thought I ought to contribute.

My OEM Michelin Anakee 2's have done 12,000kms, which for me, is pretty good, but I have to say I'm not that impressed with them.

This is my first GS and I'm generally a fan of Michelin tyres, having bought Pilot Powers and Pilot Roads 2, 3 & 4 over the years so was expecting the same sort of feel and confidence with the Anakee.

However, I found them to be noisy (on the very rare occasions when I ride without ear plugs) and not that confidence inspiring, particular since I had a few moments with them.

Now I will admit, there's a chance that it's more my riding style than the tyre's fault but, once you lose confidence in a tyre, it's hard to get it back.

The little material I could find on Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's piqued my interest and I have a friend who had the original Scorpions as OEM on his Ducati Multistrada and loved them. Trouble is, they didn't wear too well but the Scorpion 2's have supposedly addressed this.

So, I duly ordered them from the dealer and had them fitted yesterday.

I should point out that I don't really ride off-road, so I was searching for a tyre that was more road biased.

There's always going to be a noticeable difference when you go from an old set of boots to new ones and so I expected to notice a change. The squaring off of the Anakees over time has taken its toll so the first thing I notice is how the bike tipped in to corners. Very well and no real surprises.

The tyres immediately felt "softer" than the Anakees and after taking it easy for the first 40 or so kilometres, I started to explore their abilities a bit more.

I'm not a professional tyre reviewer so I can only tell you what I felt and how the tyres behaved for me. The most noticeable thing was how stable the bike felt. It didn't seem to move around as much and committing to a long sweeping corner needed no correction. The tyres tracked beautifully.

The more I rode, the more confidence I gained and it quickly became apparent that I'd never felt this comfortable on the Michelins.

After riding through the mountains (Oxley Highway/Gingers Creek in NSW for you Aussies) and dealing with a mixture of very slow and very fast corners, they came into their own. Loved 'em.

Later in the day, my riding buddy and I encountered some wet, greasy roads, that had only a sprinkle of rain - just enough to make them slippery. We obviously proceeded with caution as the surface didn't look too safe but after a while, our speeds came back up.

He had just fitted a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4's to his K1300S and these have a reputation as a good wet weather tyre, so I wasn't sure I could match his pace. But the Scorpion 2's didn't falter and felt ever bit as planted as they did in the dry.

Very impressed.

So, it's early days yet. The Scorpion Trail 2's certainly feel sticky compared to the Anakees and perhaps that will mean poor tyre life. We'll have to wait and see.

But if I have to trade off some tyre life for the handling qualities I've experienced in my first 2 days, then it's worth it.

The Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 tyre fitted was cheaper than the Michelin Pilot Road 4's but I didn't buy them for that reason. I thought they were worth trying and I'm glad I made the choice.

Time will tell if they continue to perform as they have in the first 2 days and if they have acceptable mileage. I'll try and report back after living with them for a while as I know many people may read this review months later and want a longer ownership perspective.

I hope this helps someone with a decision on tyre choice.

Cheers,

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the input...I will be replacing my Metz Tourance Next soon(happy with 8k miles on these)..had not considered the pirellis ...will definitely have a look...what kind of mileage did your friend get on the Duke?

·
Registered
26 Posts
How is the noise level compared to the Anakee's?

I see the OP is about 11 months ago. My impressions, after 2,000 miles on the Trail II, are quite the same. I do ride a bit of gravel, fire road, and I find them to be very predictable and stable in that usage. I find them much more assuring than the Shinko 705 I had been running (gravel and pavement).

The OEM Anakees were noisy. The Trail II is quiet.

Hope they last well, time/mileage will tell.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion Trail II

At 8,000 miles on my Trail IIs I picked up something that flatted the rear tire. It still had enough tread depth left to qualify for a replacement tire, through a BMW dealer using RPM3. I believe the tire would have easily made 9,000 miles, which for me is rather phenomenal! The tire was still roundish in profile, not really squared too badly at all.

With most tires I have gotten two rear tires worth of use out of 1 front. Not these. The rear is dual compound, the front is not. They wear out at the same time, at least in my case.

No drop off in ride/handling in my view. I'm old, you may notice something I don't.

As an aside, that brand spanking new rear Scorpion Trail II picked up a major piece of plastic, pointed and fat, that flatted it at less than 500 miles. Replaced again with a different tire plan (BMWMOA). I did plug it and ride it for 2-300 miles before we got the new one.

I like this tire.

My $.02 worth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would like to point out that the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II on my 2012 GSA have done over 12,000 miles or 19,000 km.

Plenty of road use, a good portion, less than 30% at around 50 mph or 90 km/h.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i have about 500 miles on my new set of scorpions and, versus the anakee III, thankfully, there is no noise. I road mostly wet roads the other day even some "pea gravel" left over from the snow we had and the new perillis kept me upright. I certainly won't be going back to the michlins.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i have about 500 miles on my new set of scorpions and, versus the anakee III, thankfully, there is no noise. I road mostly wet roads the other day even some "pea gravel" left over from the snow we had and the new perillis kept me upright. I certainly won't be going back to the michlins.
It's always hard to compare tyres, the new ones almost always have more grip than the old worn ones, regardless of brand/model. Not sure if that was the point or whether is was solely based on the noise : no discussion there, the A3s are notorious for that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi,

This thread is perfectly timed for me, as I'm just about to buy new tires for two GS.
We have Anakee III on now and these are the second set. I must say I've been happy with these and can't say I notice the noise others talk about. For off-road (hard packed dirt or solid gravel type fire roads) they have been fine, but we try not to push them into soft sand or mud. I notice they do square off a little on the rear though.

With our next long distance trip in the US and Canada coming up in May (16,000 km / 10,000 mi) I was thinking of switching to the TKC 70, but we will only be off-road for less than 500 miles so it seems like too much of a compromise for the more sport riding on the mountain twisties that we crave.

I had not considered the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2, but had been looking at the Continental Trail Attack II as a possible option over another set of Anakee III.

Does anyone have an opinion on how the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 compare to the Continental Trail Attack II?:nerd:
I'm interested in long wear (one set for the 10,000 miles would be great). We don't thrash our bikes and the roads in the US are so much better than those around most of Australia. We enjoy a sure footed sports riding experience (as much as you get on the GS) and will take these off-road for a little backroad adventure, so something that is at the very least equal to the Anakee III off-road would be fine.

I know it's all very subjective and hard to compare apples with apples, but the reviews for the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 and their win in the enduro street tire comparison by German magazine Motorrad is compelling.

·
Registered
168 Posts
while I can't make a comparison with the continental tires, I too have had 2 sets of the anakee III tires. the noise was the real downside. I saw the comparison chart and also read some good reviews of the trail II tires and put on a set 500 miles ago. there is no noise and I can say that in the twistys and the riding in the rain these tires hold onto the pavement just as well as the anakee tires. what really impressed me was the tread design, you can readily see that the design of the tread will better dissipate the water off the tire versus the anakee design. the comparison chart was what really sold me on giving them a try, I was told by my father many ions ago, "don't try to fix something that ain't broke". good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
TUK
I agree fully with your comments having used both tyres.
I did not like the Anakee's much from new and my dislike grew as they wore, and they wore quicker than i thought based on reports i had read.
Tourance Next were noticeably better, but the Trail 2's are better again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the Scorpion Trail 2s on a Ducati Multistrada 950 and thought they were great. Really good wet traction and they lasted 16,000 miles (mostly highway).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the Scorpion Trail 2s on a Ducati Multistrada 950 and thought they were great. Really good wet traction and they lasted 16,000 miles (mostly highway).
I had a set of Scorpion Trail 2 on my gsa 1250, I like the tyres, but I think the front of my GSA shake’s a little when I drive at 120 km/h more less...
Anyone have this feeling with the Scorpion Trail 2?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I had a set of Scorpion Trail 2 on my gsa 1250, I like the tyres, but I think the front of my GSA shake’s a little when I drive at 120 km/h more less...
Anyone have this feeling with the Scorpion Trail 2?
Nope, not at all with the wobble.I'd check to see if any unusual wear is visible, Then check the mounting of the front axle, and the bearings. You really don't want a front wheel wobble at any speed, but you know that.
My experience is the same as the original poster, except I've been through2 (or3?) sets. Far more confidence inspiring than the PR1,2,3,4s I've had before. They do ride "soft" as the OP says, but think of the word "soft" as meaning comfortable.

I will add that I have also used the Tourance Nexts (2 sets) and to me they are just as road worthy as the Scorpion Trails 2s, with two exceptions. the ride is significantly firmer with the Nexts--not too firm, but firmer than the ST2s, and, they do better on dirt and gravel.

Keep in mind that Pirelli owns Metzeler. YBH, I really don't see what the buzz is about the Pilot Roads. I know people do like them, but I found that every iteration (and I will not bite on the 5s, I've had enough of trying Michelin---yes the Anakees are L O U D), every one I had started slipping on tar snakes by 4k miles. I didn't find ANY of them confidence inspriing. I wonder if there is anyone out there who went from the Pirellis to the Pilot Roads and found improvement?

BTW on the Tourance nexts I get 9K plus and that is only slightly better from what I remember getting with the ST2s. I think I got about 8 with the Michelins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I changed from Tourance to Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 when I was living in Singapore, needed better wet weather ability. Did a bucket load of touring in Malaysia and Thailand. As you know there's a lot of water on the roads up there and the Pirellis were excellent. Highly recommended. thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts