R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had not seen a thread on this so thought I would start one. Curious if any of you are adjusting plans/strategies due to the recent outbreaks of Coronavirus, wherever you may be in the world.

I have a trip planned for late May, potential I will cancel if things get worse. For now it is in areas with low case numbers and I travel solo, away from crowds and I thoroughly sanitize stuff I touch (even gas pump handles now).

My biggest concern is being one who spreads it further than it has already, especially with delayed symptoms.

·
Reprobate
134 Posts
I have plans to leave home in Vermont a month from today and to be on the road for three months, just me and the dog (sidecar rig). The plan is to hit Amish Country in PA, the Hocking Hills in OH, the Ozarks in MO and AR, the Big 5 in southern UT, Yosemite/Sequoia in CA, Big Sur, Redwoods NP, coastal OR, Olympic Peninsula and San Juan Islands in WA, North Cascades, Glacier NP, the BMW rally in MT, the Black Hills of SD, and Badlands NP before meandering our way home.

While we'll be camping most of the time, that route will take us through some hotspots and transmission is always a concern, especially at the rally where the average age of members is near 60. Another concern would be getting partway there and being caught up by closed state or municipal borders. As a retired clinician and epidemiologist I'm acutely aware of the risks, both personal and to the population at large.

I'm thinking this might not be the year for a big trip. Lord knows the Honeydew List is epic!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s kind of hard to tell where things are going to be in a few months. It is possible as you probably know that things may have died down by then. I think if anything else is a wait and see attitude is probably prudent at this juncture. Best of luck to you whatever you plan to do!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I plan on not getting COVID19 but If I do then my plans will change. I don't wash my hands any more or less I still go out in public because after all each and everyone of us has already most likely been exposed to it on some level seeing how COVID virus was 1st discovered in the mid 60's. Hell its probably been around for millennia. Either way the sun will continue to come up in the morning and set in the evening and life will go on with or without me.

·
Reprobate
134 Posts
Maybe it's my military background, but for me it's always been country (or squad, platoon, Corps) before self. I was all set to depart in mid-April for a three month long 14k mile retirement celebration. While I'm in my 60s I'm in decent shape and am confident that if I do come down with a case it would be relatively mild. But it's also very possible I could be exposed and become an assymptomatic carrier, spreading it to those more prone to complications. I just can't risk doing that to others.

Semper fi

·
Registered
140 Posts
I did temporarily halt drinking Genny Cream Ale not becasue of COVID-19 but because of the toilet paper shortage caused by COVID-19. I have temporarily switched to more hearty and binding milk stouts. If this pandemic persists I'll switch to Old Grandad 114 and Navy strength Plymouth gin.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This Corona event will require "self-sacrifice" by all, much akin to WWII.
Agreed!! but not all are willing...especially the younger Generation who don't really know what sacrifice is.
My life right now is a strict routine of disinfection and PPE to try and prevent exposure / infection
Not easy especially the freedoms prior to this outbreak, but, it's life for now and just learned the virus can
live for 3 hours suspended in air, so early reports of "droplets" and just "contact" exposure is out the window.
Never believed the early reports, to me if you sneeze it, cough it... its generally airborne when forced out of ones body
Glad I didn't listen and went full on virus ATGATT from the beginning....hopefully this plateaus and see a rapid
decline for life to go back to "normal"
stay safe all

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just watching the situation develop. I was planning on the Kerrville Hill Country Rally in April, but that's really iffy now.
Dine in restaurants are now closed in SC and I bet that'll be the situation in lots of states. I get tired of protein bars.

BMW rally in Great Falls is in June, so hopefully this will be under control by then. China seems to be on the decline after 2 months.

Let the American medical / biology / chemistry geniuses figure it out. Tough to beat these people. We'll get through it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Was planning an Iron butt from Key West Fl, to Prudhoe Bay Ak last week in may. Been planning this trip for 3 years. I am not comfortable staying in hotels and eating in restaurants especially with the dismissive action of young people who only think of themselves. Just look how they are sacrificing there spring break (NOT). Also waiting to see if the border stays open. There is always next year. Lets do the right thing....

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I had signed up for GlobeRider's World Tour 2020 and, after a lot of preparation for the 72-day, 17 nation trip, Helge shut it down due to the increasing spread of the virus and border closures. My motorcycle, along with many others scheduled for the tour, is currently somewhere in the north Pacific. He's working on getting the container turned around when it reaches Japan. It's possible we'll see the container arrive back in Seattle near the end of May. It'll probably be quarantined for a time so I really don't know when I'll see it. Of course, this is just a first world problem and, like so many things, this, too, will pass.

Mike

·
Registered
629 Posts
Seriously? The direction is pretty simple to understand - "Avoid Discretionary Travel" -

This Corona event will require "self-sacrifice" by all, much akin to WWII.
Sure it will and I agree that it seems the spring break crowd seems to be neglecting their responsibility to not spread it to more susceptible people. However, social distancing does not mean hide under your bed for the next 3 months. I don't see anything wrong with, and in fact think it's quite healthy to get our for a day ride or even a multi-day ride while camping. I did about 5 hours of social distancing from the saddle of my R1200GS a couple of days ago. I took some snacks and drinks with me and put about 200 miles on the bike while not interacting with a single soul. When I stopped to get gas, I used an antiseptic wipe on the handle and buttons before and after I pumped my gas.

There will be plenty of sacrificing going on but there's no need to shut yourself in if you are responsible. Jeez, take the family our for a drive and a picnic somewhere nice. Get out for a bicycle ride - less traffic even makes that safer.

If you read the entire announcements about "avoiding discretionary travel" they clearly don't mean responsibly getting outdoors as long as you're not interacting with all the Corona Zombies.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My plans have been changed to be at the hospital 70+ hours/week until people stop dying. We're ramping up for it now, we expect up to 18 months of 12 hour shifts 7 days a week with the anesthesia dept running the intubation/central line team and backing up the critical care docs and respiratory therapists as they get sick. I assume I'll get it at some point, have a couple weeks to recover (hopefully) and get back to work. Or recover and be a cardiac cripple. Or die. You know - the regular change of plans sort of thing. I'm super tired. Not normally this negative. Been reading horror stories from around the world and the country and trying to implement best practices in our little hospital that normally has about 15 inpatients per day to taking 50 ventilated patients and an unknown number of infected patients with some degree of respiratory support. Trying to keep a "clean" area for uninfected surgeries, labor patients and uninfected 'normal' patients. It's going to be a rough next 2-3 weeks preparing, then we expect all hell to break loose. Enjoy your home quarantine. And please stay home as much as you can. Some of us can't avoid it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm finding it hard to plan a trip with states forcibly closing hotel/motels/restaurants etc with very little notice. Of course each state is different as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My plans have been changed to be at the hospital 70+ hours/week until people stop dying. We're ramping up for it now, we expect up to 18 months of 12 hour shifts 7 days a week with the anesthesia dept running the intubation/central line team and backing up the critical care docs and respiratory therapists as they get sick. I assume I'll get it at some point, have a couple weeks to recover (hopefully) and get back to work. Or recover and be a cardiac cripple. Or die. You know - the regular change of plans sort of thing. I'm super tired. Not normally this negative. Been reading horror stories from around the world and the country and trying to implement best practices in our little hospital that normally has about 15 inpatients per day to taking 50 ventilated patients and an unknown number of infected patients with some degree of respiratory support. Trying to keep a "clean" area for uninfected surgeries, labor patients and uninfected 'normal' patients. It's going to be a rough next 2-3 weeks preparing, then we expect all hell to break loose. Enjoy your home quarantine. And please stay home as much as you can. Some of us can't avoid it.
Thanks for your sacrifice. I hope that surge never comes, but as you know by your post hope is not a plan. Hopefully people take this seriously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
M/C travel for fun is not only discretionary, it’s a bit selfish. It’s not without risk. If you crash and require a hospital visit you will be diverting resources away from coronavirus patients. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts