R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Facing an emergency here...should start a week long ride tomorrow with my GS1200 06 and got some challenges...

For "fun" I tested my plastic eme key while packing and what happened was the following:

all the lights, startup, engine etc works ok, but I am not able to detach the key from lock anymore. Also with the eme key in, the key does rotate to full left to the wheel lock mode.

So my bike cannot be locked and key is stuck in.

I also tried gentle force and wiggled the key without success.

As its Sunday, cannot find official BMW support at this hour.

Any suggestions?

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
176 Posts
Kalimera Koskis

I suspect that the emergency key has never been used and is not worn at all (the regular key from a 2006 bike have probably a lot of wear) so it pushed the 'wafer' or 'gates' (small parts inside the lock that are moved by the key) farther than usual and some of them are now stuck in position.

Try spraying some lubricant (WD-40 or similar) along the key, wait a few minutes and tap GENTLY the side of the lock with a wood block then try again wiggling the key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kalimera Koskis

I suspect that the emergency key has never been used and is not worn at all (the regular key from a 2006 bike have probably a lot of wear) so it pushed the 'wafer' or 'gates' (small parts inside the lock that are moved by the key) farther than usual and some of them are now stuck in position.

Try spraying some lubricant (WD-40 or similar) along the key, wait a few minutes and tap GENTLY the side of the lock with a wood block then try again wiggling the key.
Thanks! Yep key was not used before.

As coincidence I needed to change the bike battery and after doing that, the key unlocked!

Not sure if this was a coincidence or was there something on electronics preventing the the use but it seemed to work.

Anyway, I appreciate the your hint if facing this again.

Now happily riding on the Norwegian fjords 2nd day 😊.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
176 Posts
Hi Koskis, that is really a coincidence, there are no electronic components in the lock cylinder.

By the way, I have mistaken your Norwegian flag with the Greek one... sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Koskis, that is really a coincidence, there are no electronic components in the lock cylinder.

By the way, I have mistaken your Norwegian flag with the Greek one... sorry.
OK thanks 😊. No worries, I am from Finland (flag has same colors as Greek flag) but rode to Norway. Take care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts