R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Loud for the sake of it usually doesn't work for me. Some louder performance pipes are OK but loud for loud's sake makes no sense. On long trips I hate hearing the constant droning - I just want to concentrate on my riding, not being irritated.

·
The ride of Life
368 Posts
My camp is "Keep it stock, keep it quiet".

The manufacturer went to great lengths to make a quiet motorcycle that still has performance. Although loud after market pipes may make
the bike produce more power, it's usually at the top end where it is less usable.

Are loud pipes safer? From empirical testing I would say no difference, if anything less safe. I admit it, I also have, besides 4 BMW's (R-1200RT, R-1200GSLC, F-650 Dakar and K-100RT no less than three Harley Davidsons. FX/E Shovelhead, an Evo engine and stock piped FXRS, plus an FLSTSB (Softail Cross Bones). Two have the super quiet stock pipes, my oldest has (1977 FX/E) some louder then stock pipes. Not obnoxiously loud, but louder then stock. The BMW's all have stock pipes. I can tell you this, it makes no difference in traffic or on the highway, people are still impervious to your existence. Once I vacationed in the northeast part of the country and rented a bike from an independent shop, that was a Dynaglide with a "Thunderheader" exhaust, an obnoxiously loud strait pipe POS, in this case I found people going out of their way to get in my way and showing reduced courtesy. One person yelled out of the car at me "MIDASIZE IT!!!" Translation, get a muffler on that thing!

Don't give that "I need more power BS", if you need more power get a BMW. No, they want more noise to compensate for something.

- Bumblebee

·
Registered
342 Posts
There's a limit to what noise level is acceptable. A bone rattling exhaust note draws negative attention to motorcycles.

Reactions: Southpaw

·
Registered
30 Posts
I cant stand quite bikes, most motorcycles are performance machines and they should be loud. I don't mean loud like no muffler or any kind of silencer but they should be heard.

I always wear ear plugs so a loud exhaust note does not bother me. And maybe, just perhaps a cager will hear me if they don't see me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do you really think loud pipes save lives???? I have a Sound Blaster tied to Baja Design Squadron Pro LED lights through my horn. You want to get some attention, hit someone with those strobes. I watch drivers at an intersection snap, and I mean snap, their heads right out of their current text mode. The horn is OK when someone is trying to pull into your lane right next to you. Had a woman fill her depends when that air horn blasted her from just a few feet away. HD's have to be the number one proponents of loud pipes. Definitely seen more HD's laying in the middle of intersections than any other bikd on the market. All loud pipes do is give bikes a bad name.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't agree that loud pipes give bike a bad name, until now I have not heard anyone complain about loud motorcycles.

I'm not sure if loud pipes save lives that's why I said maybe "And maybe, just perhaps a cager will hear me if they don't see me."

I would guess you have seen more HDs wrecked because there are more HDs on the road.

Don't get me wrong here, I think the extremely loud obnoxious pipe are silly. But any performance engine deserves a louder exhaust.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Loud pipes do nothing for performance in most cases and just serve to annoy people, they certainly do give motorcycle riders a bad name, "motorcyclists" don't use them.

I look at loud pipes the same way I do tattoos, it's a quick and easy way to tell a person's IQ.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Something you'll never see on a police accident report:

Cause of accident: Operator's exhaust pipe did not output enough decibels to effectively warn oncoming traffic of his presence.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm guessing you guys don't like Harleys?

I've never heard a quiet race car, truck, airplane, boat or motorcycle. Yes I know loud dose not make them fast!

perhaps our perception of loud is different?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm guessing you guys don't like Harleys?
Yes, and no. I don't like the motorcycle itself, they are OK but not suited to the way I ride. It's the component that is just above the saddle that far too frequently I don't much care for. Don't get me wrong, because numerically a lot of HD riders are great people, but percentage wise too many are just accidents waiting to happen. Been riding for over 50 years and have observed riders on all kinds of bikes, but there are a group of folks that gravitate to HD's that should stick to four wheels. Professing that loud pipes save lives, "never use your front brake". "I HAD TO lay her down," and counter steering doesn't work are just a few of the reasons why it's hard to take HD riders serious.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, and no. I don't like the motorcycle itself, they are OK but not suited to the way I ride. It's the component that is just above the saddle that far too frequently I don't much care for. Don't get me wrong, because numerically a lot of HD riders are great people, but percentage wise too many are just accidents waiting to happen. Been riding for over 50 years and have observed riders on all kinds of bikes, but there are a group of folks that gravitate to HD's that should stick to four wheels. Professing that loud pipes save lives, "never use your front brake". "I HAD TO lay her down," and counter steering doesn't work are just a few of the reasons why it's hard to take HD riders serious.

I can't argue with any of this.. I road a HD before I bought a GSA and sportbikes before that and I have heard everything you just said. I never really hung out with the HD crowd but I do know a few and they are OK, I mostly hung with European bikes.

I love the BMW GSA and I ride it almost every day... But this changes nothing lol I still like loud exhaust.. to a point.

·
Registered
92 Posts
John Dennis;196473.... But this changes nothing lol I still like loud exhaust.. to a point.[/QUOTE said:
To be honest there a deep, throaty, bass sound on HD's, other cruisers and even Ducati's that I definitely like. The sound of a Triumph triple is also sweet to me too. That BLAT sound of a straight pipe especially in inappropriate places, and I know just about everyone knows where I'm talking about, is just offensive.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Stop light

I have a 1974 Norton Commando and it's loud if I run it to redline and it does have a soulful sound, but I don't sit at stop lights revving the engine. That's irritating!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Loud pipes are for children. :wink2: Like putting playing cards in your spoke on a bicycle.
I've already selected the balloons and clothes pins for my GSA when I pick it up this coming week. Much throatier sound than playing cards.

We have a few HD's in the islands but they are far outnumbered by sport rockets. Those guys while stopped are revving engines repeatedly. The HD guys specialize in cruising by an open air bar and blasting pipes. In my book it isn't how you sound it's how you use what you have.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts