R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
if I hear loud pipes in front of me then I immediately pass and put them behind me, guess that answers that. (wish I could have seen the look on the face of the 2017 corvette driver that passed me with the 4 pipes blasting away and then seconds later looking at my license plate). :nerd:

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
Wasn't William Wallace...

...the first guy to say "loud pipes save lives"?

I've been riding Harleys for 35 years and around 400,000 miles (the GS I bought in 2015 is my first BMW, though I've lusted for one since about 2000), and during that time I've pretty much always stuck with stock pipes. Along with a couple friends who also ran stock mufflers, I talked about forming the "Harley Stock Muffler Club." We could probably meet in a phone booth.

Part of the reason I've stuck with stock mufflers is that I do a lot of touring, and loud pipes get really really old after the first three or four hundred miles. Another reason is that no Harley motor since the Shovelhead and Ironhead Sportster really sounded very good through loud pipes. The more-efficient head designs of the Evo, Twin Cam and M8 tend to produce a sharp "crack" rather than that deep "boom" (think big-block Chevy V-8 and glass packs) that aging Baby Boomers view as the Sound of High Performance. An Evo with straight pipes is pretty much the example of the difference between "Good and Loud" and "Loud and Good."

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wall of Death

I recall going to the Virginia State Fair sometime around 1960 with my parents. There on the midway was the "Wall of Death" a cylindrical vertical wooden cyclodrome. On rollers high up in front of the gathering crowd sat a bad ass cycle bandit, white jeans, tall leather boots and a shirt unbuttoned to the abs, mounted aboard something like a 500 Harley making maximum use of his straight pipes. Against my parents wishes my brother and I paid our .50 and up the stairs we went to the observation deck on top of the cylinder.

The transition from the flat wooden floor radiused into a vertical track, 30 or so feet high and probably 50 feet in diameter. As the bike gained speed they would ride the radius up until they were glued to the vertical track and would swerve up less than a foot from the top, right at our feet, loud pipes blasting, exhaust and hot oil smell pervasive. First one bike, then two doing close combat with each other then back to one with a barely clad vixen on the bars then next a bike with a live Lioness aboard.

I was probably 13 at the time and frankly, have never been the same since that show. When I hear loud pipes I think of it only to be disappointed at the sound coming from an overstuffed motorcycle ridden by an overstuffed rider.

·
The ride of Life
368 Posts
I don't agree that loud pipes give bike a bad name, until now I have not heard anyone complain about loud motorcycles.

I'm not sure if loud pipes save lives that's why I said maybe "And maybe, just perhaps a cager will hear me if they don't see me."

I would guess you have seen more HDs wrecked because there are more HDs on the road.

Don't get me wrong here, I think the extremely loud obnoxious pipe are silly. But any performance engine deserves a louder exhaust.
In our town that's number one on the hit parade. More complaints about that to the police and city hall than just about anything else.
After 11 of you are romping on it you will get a fixit ticket, a disturbing the piece ticket and a sobriety test. After a few weekends of this no more loud pipes. They go to another city to inflict their mayhem.

- BB

·
The ride of Life
368 Posts
Loud pipes are for children. :wink2: Like putting playing cards in your spoke on a bicycle.
When I was a kid I used one half filled balloons in the spokes. Made a lot of noise. Occasionally one would pop giving that all important backfire sound effect. Eventually they would all pop, then quiet.

- Bumblebee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't get it...

Personally, I don't like attracting attention to myself. I also don't understand getting pleasure from annoying other people. In Arizona, invariably when I see a 'Loud Pipes Save Lives' patch, it is usually on the vest of someone not wearing a helmet, or any protective gear. Its like driving an F350, rolling coal with a save the planet sticker on it. Logic and reason are difficult for some people.

B.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Personally, I don't like attracting attention to myself. I also don't understand getting pleasure from annoying other people. In Arizona, invariably when I see a 'Loud Pipes Save Lives' patch, it is usually on the vest of someone not wearing a helmet, or any protective gear. Its like driving an F350, rolling coal with a save the planet sticker on it. Logic and reason are difficult for some people.

B.
The big blue marble is toast. Ethics, morality, and especially LOGIC left the planet in Elvis's ruck sack. :crying:

·
The ride of Life
368 Posts
I'm guessing you guys don't like Harleys?

I've never heard a quiet race car, truck, airplane, boat or motorcycle. Yes I know loud dose not make them fast!

perhaps our perception of loud is different?
Random ramblings:

Harley Davidson. Look in my garage.. The bikes aren't that bad, but for the most part the people who gravitate to that brand are clueless. After trying to ride with them I just gave up, fumes, smoke and noise and no riding talent. During the second ride going 25 in a 50 MPH gently curving road watching a few riders nearly run off the road I just pegged the throttle and blew buy the entire pack, quietly, with my stock pipes I might add. I was the newbie to their group and had to ride in the back of pack, and not ride up with the "big dogs".

People who ride BMW's tend to try and ride the best they can, quiet, quick and deft. Always striving for outstanding. For the most part entirely different culture.

I have this T-Shirt, that I don't have the guts to wear, it says "If you think loud pipes save lives imagine what learning to ride that thing would do!"
So true.

- Bumblebee

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
anyone click on the "poll?"

these are the only two choices

Great – I want people to hear me before they see me.

Annoyed – You can make horsepower without being obnoxiously loud.

That's it, Motorcycle.com? That's what your HR focus group came up with? There could be some, however vague, other impression? You think?

I mean, I was looking for

Frustrated - I ran out of places to put chrome for the eyes, so Look Out, Ears!

and

Oh, Yeah! - "Cool" is my middle name! And my first name. They call me CC, CoolCool!

and the one I'd check

<silent blank numbed stare> - <crickets>

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my 46 yrs of riding I have yet to meet the "doctor" or "lawyer" riding HD. The company motto should be "Harley-Davidson: Converting fuel into noise since 1903":wink2:

·
Survivor
682 Posts
In my 46 yrs of riding I have yet to meet the "doctor" or "lawyer" riding HD. The company motto should be "Harley-Davidson: Converting fuel into noise since 1903":wink2:
I know two physicians and a handful of lawyers that ride Harleys. Some also ride BMWs. Maybe you need to get out more. :wink2:

·
Registered
800 Posts
That's funny. Sarcastic, but funny. I really know only one other doc who still rides and it's a Ducati--I know one who used to ride (a Honda sportbike) but after a serious accident stopped. Couple of nurses who ride, one on this forum, actually.
Word is those things are dangerous, can kill you, and most heed that and have too often seen the results of a ride gone wrong. Beyond that, in a purchasing decision, my impression is that form would follow function, if it's a HD or a GS, so be it.

When I come across another rider and we chat, our occupations never come up, but only the songs of the road and the ride.

It does seem to me that many/not every HD rider is concerned, and will spend money on, things that are superficial and contribute nothing to the ride, and only promote the the "culture."
GS riders will argue about which bash plate offers more protection for the off roading that they rarely do, while HD riders will exhibit chrome envy among themselves.

in the end though, we are all in the same two-wheeled club and share the joy of the ride and that is the most important thing, i think.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
622 Posts
I cant stand quite bikes, most motorcycles are performance machines and they should be loud. I don't mean loud like no muffler or any kind of silencer but they should be heard.

I always wear ear plugs so a loud exhaust note does not bother me. And maybe, just perhaps a cager will hear me if they don't see me.
I believe that is a myth.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
622 Posts
I'm guessing you guys don't like Harleys?

I've never heard a quiet race car, truck, airplane, boat or motorcycle. Yes I know loud dose not make them fast!

perhaps our perception of loud is different?
Faulty analogy. NHRA has banned open exhaust "racers" in California. All of the outboard engine mfrs. have gone to 4 stroke "quiet" motors. I have flown plenty of "quiet" airplanes. I will admit I am a bit embarrassed when my Remus aftermarket exhaust pops but that isn't even close to the decibel level of open exhaust "harleys". Stick a baffle in it is my motto.

·
The ride of Life
368 Posts
For a short while I had a Triumph 800Xc. Nice bike, but the R-1200GS that replaced it is much better. Anyway, that came with a goodie basket of accessories, one was an Arrow exhaust system. I wondered what was in there, so I took the bandsaw to it and cut it in two. Answer? Not too much. Very poorly made, for what it cost it should have been better.

Aww, I just ruined a $600 exhaust system. After a few more cuts with the bandsaw Into the trash it went.

- BB

·
Registered
63 Posts
Subtly louder exhausts are fine and a must in London traffic, where people drive with music banging and phones by their ears. Just the Harley make your ears bleed exhausts are a piss take, I don't even know how they get through the MOT.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The lower the volume the better ,don't need the extra attention from cops & I ride presuming everyone on the road is a complete idiot & often times they prove me right :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
In my experience, for having ridden over the past 4 years two identical bikes, one with loud pipe, one with stock, quiet as anything.

- Yes, louder pipes make it easier for cars to let you through. But it's in no way a "safety" feature, by the time they've heard me, I've already had to hit the brakes. Basically, useful in traffic jams to make way through traffic, cars do move over quicker. But not until you are onto them, in no way do they anticipate anymore the fact I'm coming through.

- I feel a pillock as soon as I'm in town. I don't like pissing people off. And there's just nothing cool about riding a purposely loud vehicle in residencial areas.

- Sounds more "fun" and racy out of towns, but there again, I am much more likely to get pulled over. With the quiet bike, not once have I been pulled over. In fact, there have been times where police have not even bothered lifting their speed camera up, although I was above the limit. They just watch me passe. But with the other bike and a loud pipe, I tend to attract more attention... And better watch it.

The main thing in my mind is just common sense : don't go overkill with the noise, stick with autorised models, and keep in mind making a racket in towns is disrespectful :smile2:

21 - 40 of 53 Posts