R1200GS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
After crossing this stream my bike decided it was nap time. My buddy in the pic dropped his mid stream inhaling large amounts of water. Here we are finishing pulling the plugs and checking the air filter only to find the Tourtech skid plate punched a hole in the engine case. It wasn't our best day in Baja.

Attachments

·
Survivor
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
how did that go (with your wife?)? Were words uttered to the effect that this was her last ride...ever?:grin2:
Oh no, she had a great time. Shortly before we got to the border she nearly went down when, while starting to stand-up, her right foot slide off of the Pivot Peg. I was following her and I thought she was toast.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'll see your Utah (outside of Vernal)

and raise you South Louisiana

:x:x
Aww, ya got me. Though I have a daughter and her family in Lafayette LA, I've never ridden my bike there. I can't call your Cajun photo. I plan to go next spring as I'm thinking about coming down on the Natchez Trace and then over to see her. I've been really wanting to take a big road trip on the GS (all my longer rides have been mostly off the pavement). And what better excuse than some boudin and some mudbugs!

Speaking unpaved adventure, here's a photo up in the Jefferson National Forest in Virginia:

·
Registered
781 Posts
That place was right near Lafayette! On US190 somewhere. Lafayette may be the boudin capital of the Earth and it is arguably the epicenter of Acadiana. Very nice people there and very good food. Boudin, and this is an oversimplification, is a sort of a rice dressing--with herbs, flavoring, magic--in a sausage casing. It is as much a finger food as anything. Comes in two versions...for a newcomer and for this experienced eater, you want the "white" boudin (pronounced Boo-Dan). Good stuff for sure.

Cracklins are deep fried myocardial infarctions, somewhat akin to "pork skins" achieving the dubious qualities of being both better than and worse than pork skins, depending on what you're measuring.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Cracklins are deep fried myocardial infarctions, somewhat akin to "pork skins" achieving the dubious qualities of being both better than and worse than pork skins, depending on what you're measuring.
My favorite BBQ place in Atlanta was a multi-generational shack down near the Federal Pen. Harolds closed a few years ago and they made a decent cracklin corn bread and the best Brunswick Stew you can buy anywhere. I can't get cracklins here so I buy them on my visits back in Georgia/Alabama or LA (not to be confused with Lower Alabama).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Got ourselves into a real mess trying to get out of Guatemala. We hired 3 boats to take us across this river to get into Mexico, not exactly a legal border crossing but it's not a problem as long as I don't go back to Guatemala. :grin2:

Attachments

61 - 80 of 115 Posts