R1200GS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Smoky 500 Ride

I met up with some buddies in Georgia this past week and had perfect weather for riding the Smoky 500 track. The Nantahala River:

Brasstown Bald (highest point in Georgia):

And this is why they call them the "Smokys"

There's one easy water crossing but it's interesting because you set off riding down the creek without being able to see where the exit is to be found:

https://youtu.be/xqvK3hzjdVw

·
Registered
644 Posts
That place was right near Lafayette! On US190 somewhere. Lafayette may be the boudin capital of the Earth and it is arguably the epicenter of Acadiana. Very nice people there and very good food. Boudin, and this is an oversimplification, is a sort of a rice dressing--with herbs, flavoring, magic--in a sausage casing. It is as much a finger food as anything. Comes in two versions...for a newcomer and for this experienced eater, you want the "white" boudin (pronounced Boo-Dan). Good stuff for sure.

Cracklins are deep fried myocardial infarctions, somewhat akin to "pork skins" achieving the dubious qualities of being both better than and worse than pork skins, depending on what you're measuring.
While down in Georgia riding the Smoky 500 ADV ride on my GS, I came across a farmer's market that had bags of cracklins in the refrigerator section. I scored a couple of bags and since I was making a big pot of chili yesterday, it was time to unleash them on my cornbread. Now, it would be an understatement to say that my Momma's recipe for cornbread is awesome without the cracklins added. It includes some equally unhealthy ingredients and mixing in a generous amount of these cracklins into the batter rendered the unbelievably delicious food for the soul shown in the video below:

https://youtu.be/P2FXNbyABy4

Enjoying food like this makes me feel sad for all the woefully deprived people that were not privileged to be born and raised in the deep south of the USA. And yes, enjoying this, as Dr. Strangelove mentions, will start the clock ticking on your very own myocardial infarction.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Restarting this thread, we could use some more ride pictures on here.

On a great little trail in nearby park and stopped by a log. Decided not to stack a kicker and try to jump it...done enough fixing lately...
20200425_163916.jpg

·
Registered
210 Posts
Great looking GSA’s I’m jealous of guy in back with long legs!
the bike in front looks to have those adventure tires you was talking about. Michelin Adventure tires, you had said they were a great tire and a slight noisier than the Michelin 3 tires that are stock on my 2016 GSA. View attachment 26989
The GSA in the foreground has Motoz Tractionator tires and the GSA in the background has Michelin Anakee Adventure tires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not to totally hijack this photo thread, but a lot of guys are asking about the tires in this post.
View attachment 26997
im also not wanting to hijack the forum page, I need to know since you all ride together and probably change rides, which tire do you feel as the quietest and yet give great road manners and some off road manners? Also I’ve seen on YouTube the Chaparral video saying how he likes the Motoz tires better than the new Michelin Mission tires? I’m looking at tires soon as I said before. I know you said you really like the Anakee adventure tires but I’ve seen you have a pair of Mission’s on order. So I’m just asking for your advice.
Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
im also not wanting to hijack the forum page, I need to know since you all ride together and probably change rides, which tire do you feel as the quietest and yet give great road manners and some off road manners? Also I’ve seen on YouTube the Chaparral video saying how he likes the Motoz tires better than the new Michelin Mission tires? I’m looking at tires soon as I said before. I know you said you really like the Anakee adventure tires but I’ve seen you have a pair of Mission’s on order. So I’m just asking for your advice.
Thanks
I'm on my second set of Michelin Anakee Adventures and really like them. They handle like a road tire and do pretty well on hard pack and double track fire roads. The Motoz are loud, but are more capable off road. I did buy a set of Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires that I will mount when I do a trip at the end of June.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Since I bought the bike—about two weeks ago now—I've been rediscovering just how beautiful and diverse the countryside is around here in central Georgia. The weather has been pretty stunning, too. Here, I'm in a pecan orchard in Kathleen, GA.

·
Registered
644 Posts
With the OEM Anakees on my '16 GS, I decided to ride down to the BMW Off-Road riding school in Greer SC via the Blue Ridge Parkway:

I rode their bike at the training. On the way home I took the long way through Virginia on a stinking hot day and stopped off in the middle of the afternoon at a no-name ice cream shop. I decided to indulge myself and ordered a banana split and this is what they set down in front of me:

81 - 100 of 115 Posts