R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the GS world, and I am looking at purchasing a 2009 r1200gs with 70,000 miles on the OD.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for during inspection that is unique to the GS line?
What larger dollar maintenance items am I looking over the next 10-20,000 miles?
Any advice for a new GS owner?

Thank You

·
Super Moderator
597 Posts
Welcome. The 2004-2009 are essential the same bike with minor variations. 2010-2012 are also oil cooled, but with a twin cams added to the mix.

Main things you'll find in a test drive (noises, leaks, etc), transmission is known to be a bit agricultural so don't expect it to be buttery smooth. It has a dry clutch and if original may be time for replacing if it slips. That requires splitting the bike, big $$$. If you want you can put it in gear when off and on center stand to see if driveline/final drive has more slop than spec. Whether it have service history or not a good idea to do the full 36/72k service so you know it is solid, easy DIY.

Try these threads and throw out any questions on them:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Having bought 4 of them since February 2020 I look the bike over for obvious leaks especially under the bike where the transmission mated to the engine. After that start the bike and listen for oddities.

I always plan on fully servicing the bike when I get it home so I know what was done with what and exactly when. This happens no matter if the owner had the dealership service the day before I bought it. This also gives me a chance to really look the bike over and make small repairs as/if needed.

The good news is the folks riding GS’s are typically more mature than a 20 year old with a sport bike tapping the rev limiter while doing burnouts trying to impress his buddies.. While a lot of GS’s are well used they are also well taken care of.

Best thing I can tell you is when you see the bike is trust your gut. If your gut tells you run away, run away! Then look me up I have R2005GS and possibly a 2009GSA for sale :)

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
222 Posts
Hi radiowar, welcome aboard.

My 2009 GS has 66500 miles, no repair, only maintenance stuff and modifications.

Check along both front and rear shock absorber for signs of leakage (that is a known problem, some specialized shop can rebuild them, BMW dealers will try to sell you new shocks).

Some owners had issues (I did not) with the fuel level sensor strip (aka fuel strip) there is an extended warranty (10 or 12 years, regardless of milleage). By the way, when you fill the bike, there is 1 minute delay before the gauge update, that is normal, there is no float in the tank, just an electronic strips that 'senses' the level.

Of course, change all the fluids : Motor oil, transmission oil, final drive oil, front brake oil, rear brake oil, clutch cylinder oil (DON'T put brake fluid in the clutch system, you'll destroy it). Change the air filter, have the valves adjusted and the carb. synchronised.

Enjoy a great bike.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Second that on the clutch fluid. Although when I did it by mistake it was ok after a couple of hours when changed to the correct fluid.
If the bike comes with Tyre pressure monitoring there is a good chance the batteries in the sensors will fail between 5-10 years. This requires new sensors which ain't cheap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You all for your reply's. I feel more confident going to look at the bike now. Hopefully soon I can be a member of the forum WITH a R1200GS.

Once again, Thank You.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi radiowar, welcome aboard.

My 2009 GS has 66500 miles, no repair, only maintenance stuff and modifications.

Check along both front and rear shock absorber for signs of leakage (that is a known problem, some specialized shop can rebuild them, BMW dealers will try to sell you new shocks).

Some owners had issues (I did not) with the fuel level sensor strip (aka fuel strip) there is an extended warranty (10 or 12 years, regardless of milleage). By the way, when you fill the bike, there is 1 minute delay before the gauge update, that is normal, there is no float in the tank, just an electronic strips that 'senses' the level.

Of course, change all the fluids : Motor oil, transmission oil, final drive oil, front brake oil, rear brake oil, clutch cylinder oil (DON'T put brake fluid in the clutch system, you'll destroy it). Change the air filter, have the valves adjusted and the carb. synchronised.

Enjoy a great bike.
The fuel strip warranty is good for 12 years from the original in service date. So if you have a 09 time is running out. Just had the fuel strip and rear flange on my 09GS replaced so its now should be warranted until 2022. Today when I take the 05GS in for the rear wheel flange recall I'm going to schedule the fuel strip for my 09GSA.

For whatever reason the 2004, 2005 and possibly the 2006 GS/GSA's had float assemblies in the fuel tank then they switched to fuel strips. The float assemblies did not seem to have an issue so I wonder why BMW didn't just retrofit floats and scrap the fuel strip. There are several videos online of folks doing the conversion its plug-n-play.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
222 Posts
Hi PerazziMx14, thanks for the details on the fuel strip.

radiowar, you can also check online if there are some recall pending on your new bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2005 has Servo brake system which is good the ABS pump can not be repaired currently although some have claimed to have done the work the cost of replacement is high

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
645 Posts
Floats don't seem to work that well either. My '05 goes from Full to 1/4 in one fell swoop. Low fuel warning and still have 2.5 gallons. live with it. 150 miles between fill ups. I have owned plenty of bikes with no fuel gauge, so any gauge is a luxury for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts