R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I currently own an S1000RR. It is a very nice and fast bike, but I was curious about the R1200GS, and today I took one for a test ride. I was blown away by how capable the bike is, and am seriously thinking of trading my S1000RR for a R1200GS. I plan for it to be my everyday bike. I will commute to it, go to the grocery store, ride 100 miles at a time on some local curvy roads a couple of times a week just for fun, and hopefully take it for some light off-roading. No true adventure is in sights, sadly (gotta work).

With that in mind, I have some questions:

- can you find a reason that I may have overlooked to not get the R1200GS as a commuter?

- I see references to Ralleye. Is this a color or more than that? The BMW site lists "Lupin Blue", and I like it.

- will I be able to use the GS-911 tool for diagnostic and service reminder resets? I have the recent model, Wi-Fi version, and OBDII cable adapter.

- how much room for negotiation is generally factored in the MSRP? There is currently a $1000 promotion going on, but last year in May I was able to shave about $3000 off the price of a S1000RR.

Thank you all, and hope to join the club soon!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hello,

I currently own an S1000RR. It is a very nice and fast bike, but I was curious about the R1200GS, and today I took one for a test ride. I was blown away by how capable the bike is, and am seriously thinking of trading my S1000RR for a R1200GS. I plan for it to be my everyday bike. I will commute to it, go to the grocery store, ride 100 miles at a time on some local curvy roads a couple of times a week just for fun, and hopefully take it for some light off-roading. No true adventure is in sights, sadly (gotta work).

- can you find a reason that I may have overlooked to not get the R1200GS as a commuter?

- I see references to Ralleye. Is this a color or more than that? The BMW site lists "Lupin Blue", and I like it.

- will I be able to use the GS-911 tool for diagnostic and service reminder resets? I have the recent model, Wi-Fi version, and OBDII cable adapter.

- how much room for negotiation is generally factored in the MSRP? There is currently a $1000 promotion going on, but last year in May I was able to shave about $3000 off the price of a S1000RR.

1) Its a great bike, does everything, cruises well and goes offroad also. I rode a hayabusa before and kept both before finally selling it off
2) Rallye is color difference PLUS Cross spoke wheels, PLUS a Rally seat ( thin single kinda seat) PLUS Short windscreen PLUS Off road tires
You can get a passenger kit which will replace the Single seat with 2 seats, give you a higher windscreen and normal road tires plus a centre stand.
3) GS-911 is a beemer tool so should work.....let others chime in I dont own one so cant say
4) No clue we live in different countries

·
Registered
761 Posts
It's the Swiss army knife of bikes. It won't keep up with RR1000 in high speed sweepers, but throw in a section of goat roads and the GS will leave the RR in the dust, oh, and you can ride fire roads too :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
1. Gs911 works perfectly
2. I use it as my main vehicle too, ride 90 miles per day, work and back. I haul stuff on it, it's a "truck" of bikes.

3. I have 50/50 tires, so one second asphalt, then dirt, no issues

4. Done many 350+ miles per day rides

5. Ridden in 28f to 115f, no issues

Great bike.

·
Super Moderator
724 Posts
In the last several years, I've owned a K1600GT and an S1000RR. My current bikes are a 1200GS and a Super Duke 1290 R. The Duke allows me to channel my inner hooligan in a way that even the BMW liter bike could not. It's a great bike for a sporty ride that gives up nothing to any high performance bike on the road. It's got more torque in the bottom of the rev range than the S1000RR has a full chat - that makes it way too much fun to bust out wheelies and go fast without sounding like I'm wringing out a liter bike. As comfortable as I was on the S1000RR and how much I enjoyed it at track days, I finally decided there was no place that bike on the street. 14,000 rpm romps on the street are a sure ticket to a room in the gray bar hotel. Now, I'm saying all that in case you were thinking you would miss the rush of a hyper bike - there's another one out there that can do all your commuting and running around duties that would be more comfortable and more fun - a 1290 R.

That said, and having owned these other bikes, if I could have only one bike the R1200GS would be the bike. The late model water cooled bikes are quite spunky and with the traction control turned off easily become a unicycle. But they're also way more versatile and attract a lot less attention. I'm convinced that LEOs around here think that only old men ride BMWs and leave me alone even when I'm out being frisky.

I also wouldn't be too quick to pass over the off-pavement capability of the GS. It opens up a whole world of forest roads to amazing views and experiences that you or I would never do on a sport bike. I tell everyone I know that's getting a GS to go to the BMW off-road school even if you don't plan to do a lot of off-road riding. The confidence they'll give you on how to handle a fat bike in tight places is amazing. And you can ride their new GS there and not worry about dropping yours.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had two r1000s which is same profile as the rr. Before and after those I have had two GS. Principal diff is lightness of touch in town traffic and goat like abilities way out of town.

If you meant dirt roads and very light gravel when you said "light off-roading" then you can do that with your RR. I did it very successfully with the S. There are some excellent soft panniers for the RR if you want to do a weekend camp out. https://kriega.com/sports/touring So you get the best of both worlds.

I got my Rallye because I need a Swiss Army knife and something to carry a bike, xc skiis, raft etc. I need to go over very rocky sections. I need to live on it for weeks.

The Rallye GS is meant to have the Rallye seat, the short windscreen and knobby tires but 19 of 20 bikes dealers order from the factory come with the 2-piece seat, tall windscreen, and road tires. That's what buyers demand.

The GSA Rallye (adventure) is new this year’s. I’m not sure how dealers are setting up their factory orders.

Discounts are largely unavailable during peak season. You might get free training or free panniers or free Navi or some other promotion. Those promos increase as the season ends in October and 2019s come. Then you might be in a nego position for 1k on a 2018.

As I’ve said to other posters’ threads, do your research and buy from the dealer with the best service as I find that initial set up matters a lot, but there will be others that disagree. Some setup is just unpacking and some is inspection and some is real set up.

Mostly though I might consider why you’re switching so soon after buying the RR which is a great bike. You might be able to do what you want with that bike.

Hello,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, guys. You are confirming what I felt. I have to now overcome the anxiety of partying with my RR, a brilliant bike too, but with a different focus. What surprised me was how I could ride the GS aggressively in city traffic. It picks up quickly, and these breaks are a match for the RR.

Question: are the Ralleye cross-spoked wheels necessary or beneficial for my intended use (i.e. no gnarly offroad stunts, but potholes and speed bumps)?

·
Registered
809 Posts
The Rallye also has some features on it the others don't, like a stock radiator guard. Rallye has different graphics and is a package of accessories.

I find the GS just fine around town for big city riding. I have a 90 mile commute, mix of hwy and city street and it's just fine.
I had two roadsters previously and found I was always in between 2nd and third around town. The GS, a 2016, is geared better for the city and less shifting is necessary. On the highway I still sometimes seek out the elusive 7th gear.

It's a great bike.

PS Tell us where you are and people could likely chime in on dealers near you, relate their experiences

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in Bellevue, east of Seattle. I have two dealers that I would consider: the BMW of Seattle and South Sound BMW. I frequent both. I bought my S1000RR from BMW of Seattle.

·
Super Awesom Person
596 Posts
Whichever model you get the TFT screen is a must have. The Michelin Anakee 3 tires mine came with are a lot sticker than I thought they would be but my replacement set are going to be Dunop Roadsmart 3 as I don't take it off road. While I don't have the rally model my GS came with the spoke wheels and I like the looks. I was able to get another K knocked off so the extra 2k went for the bags and GPS. The stock 2 piece seat mine came with sucks and a Sargent is on the way so my guess that you'll want to replace that single seat the Rally comes with as well. Make sure it comes with the Dynamic pro plug because once I inserted that thing it really came to life.

Rick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a downloadable repair manual? I do all maintenance myself, valve check and adjustment excluded. Is the first service anything more than a glorified oil change? I assume that whatever restrictions are lifted, I can do with the GS-911 myself.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Is there a downloadable repair manual?
Not that I'm aware of. You're dealer can supply the RepROM, a DVD containing a window application that presents maintenance data and instructions. The app can be installed three times. It also checks for updates so you always have the latest data. Cost was about $130 last time I looked.

BEWARE: there are people selling pirated copies of the RepROM on ebay, etc. Some of those copies have been modified to infect your computer with malware.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you can keep your S1KRR, keep it and get the GS1200. I had a nice '11 S1KRR and miss it sometimes. Now on a '16GSA which I love and ride everyday. Great bike that does pretty much what you ask of it. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found that I can only ride one motorcycle. At one point, I had six bikes in my garage, and I kept riding just one. I have thinned the herd since, and am down to three. Still too many... I love different bikes, but can only ride one. The RR is a truly awesome bike, but I cannot keep it as a track only. I was thinking of getting a small dual sport for light offroading, but I could not find anything that I really liked. The moment I sat on the GS, even in the parking lot, I felt a connection.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I found that I can only ride one motorcycle. At one point, I had six bikes in my garage, and I kept riding just one. I have thinned the herd since, and am down to three. Still too many... I love different bikes, but can only ride one. The RR is a truly awesome bike, but I cannot keep it as a track only. I was thinking of getting a small dual sport for light offroading, but I could not find anything that I really liked. The moment I sat on the GS, even in the parking lot, I felt a connection.
I've got two, the 2012 GS1200 and the 07 GT1200 Beemers. Like you I can only ride one and often think about selling the GT, but then I take it out and within one mile know why I bough that bike and why I keep it. Two very different animals and rides.

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. :smile2:

That said, I'm thinking about another smaller off road machine like a 350-500 enduro for exploring the back country over taking the beastly GS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whichever model you get the TFT screen is a must have. The Michelin Anakee 3 tires mine came with are a lot sticker than I thought they would be but my replacement set are going to be Dunop Roadsmart 3 as I don't take it off road. While I don't have the rally model my GS came with the spoke wheels and I like the looks. I was able to get another K knocked off so the extra 2k went for the bags and GPS. The stock 2 piece seat mine came with sucks and a Sargent is on the way so my guess that you'll want to replace that single seat the Rally comes with as well. Make sure it comes with the Dynamic pro plug because once I inserted that thing it really came to life.

Rick
I recently traded my 2012 R1200RT on a new 2018 GS and I am delighted! I commute into Pittsburgh and the GS makes for a great commuter. The bike is a perfect blend of practicality and performance. I've been riding for a long time and the new GS, with it proven powerplant and amazing technology, have made me a better rider! That big bike can really get your juices flowing.

I too love the look of the Ralleye, however, I am on the shorter side and the Ralleye does have a bit taller suspension and seat height. It's not quite as high as the GS Adventure, but it is a tall ride.

I have an older GS911 and I've been told that it will function with the new bike and OBD II connector with a male adapter cable.

Finally, I got a SWINGING deal on my 2018. The dealer had a bunch of low mileage demos that they needed to blow out the door. 5K under sticker! BMW is on record stating that they have a huge global sales goal for 2020 and there is room for negotiation. To me BMW has a ton of bikes in the US market and they want to sell them.

Buy the bike!

·
Registered
809 Posts
snip

BEWARE: there are people selling pirated copies of the RepROM on ebay, etc. Some of those copies have been modified to infect your computer with malware.

and often they are dated manuals, ie not for your model.

I will add that Jim Von Baden has a repair dvd that covers most of the maintenance you are likely to do, and much of it is free online if you search. IN addition, he has a presence on advrider.com in the GSPOT section. You can get pretty quick answers. I think it's definitely worthwhile and it runs on a MAC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A new GS is a NO-GO. I went to the dealer today for a second test ride and left my 2017 S1000RR for them to have a look and come with some trade up numbers. They offered me $10,000 for my RR. Just one year ago, with extended warranty and tire/wheel coverage, taxes and all, I paid them over $23K for that bike. I was ready to take a hit, but this was a joke. I simply walked out. Didn't even try to negotiate on the price.

So perhaps a used GS?

Now the question is, can you please point me to good resources for:
- understanding the evolution of the GS over the past 10 years
- which years / variants are preferable, and which to avoid
- what to look for when buying a used GS. Is the shaft drive a major pain to service?

Thanks guys, not all hope is lost.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts