R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Why is the TFT a "must have"? What does it do or what information does it provide that makes the previous unit completely obsolete? Or is your comment PURELY subjective?

Whichever model you get the TFT screen is a must have. The Michelin Anakee 3 tires mine came with are a lot sticker than I thought they would be but my replacement set are going to be Dunop Roadsmart 3 as I don't take it off road. While I don't have the rally model my GS came with the spoke wheels and I like the looks. I was able to get another K knocked off so the extra 2k went for the bags and GPS. The stock 2 piece seat mine came with sucks and a Sargent is on the way so my guess that you'll want to replace that single seat the Rally comes with as well. Make sure it comes with the Dynamic pro plug because once I inserted that thing it really came to life.

Rick

·
War is the answer!
96 Posts
Why is the TFT a "must have"? What does it do or what information does it provide that makes the previous unit completely obsolete? Or is your comment PURELY subjective?
The problem with the non TFT models is the screen is hard to see and a lot of people use the GPS to see their speed. The TFT is beautiful and easy to see. In my opinion its a mandatory must have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The problem with the non TFT models is the screen is hard to see and a lot of people use the GPS to see their speed. The TFT is beautiful and easy to see. In my opinion its a mandatory must have.
The TFT looks nice. If it offers integration with my phone's playlists, it will be good. However, it is a non-essential for me. What I really like is an analog tach and a digital speed dials, but on the GS, the tach seems redundant, as this thing just tractors through the revs like an elephant through tall grass, and I found no point of revving up the engine for upshifting. I frequently judge my speed relative to traffic around me and only use the speedo when I find myself alone, on an open road, and start wondering where did everyone go.

But nonetheless, the TFT is pretty awesome. I also like the safety and convenience of the electronic suspension, traction control, ABS, quickshifter, hill start assist...

·
Registered
809 Posts
what is Kelly Blue Book value of the bike? Wow; >50% depreciation in a year.

Try other dealers? Cycle trader?

I think once you get out of the fuel strip and final drive issues in the late "aughts" you're probably fine. Maybe not the first year of LC? All opinion of course, and others will chime in. Love my 16 LC

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Or sell the RR yourself. Trade in values are always low. You want to sell it for what the dealer would eventually ask.

·
Super Moderator
724 Posts
You know that you get a refund for the pro-rata share of your extended/additional warranties, right? Yeah, the BMW Motorrad trade in dance is a tough pill to swallow. If you trade it you'll get the sales tax deduction on your new purchase. If you sell it yourself, you'll pay full sales tax on the new bike.

But $23K seems like a lot for a S1000RR. I know people that didn't pay that for an HP4. I bought a brand new, previous model year (2013) S1000RR in 2014 for $13.6K with every option on it. I got $15K for it from Allstate when I totaled it two years later in an energetic agricultural experience.

Perspective is tough to achieve on something like this but when you buy at full list and want out of it in a year. You didn't say how many miles are on your S1KRR or if it had any scuffs or scrapes. The dealer will replace anything not like new on it before they put it on the floor and have to factor that in. I tend to keep bikes until the factory warranty has expired and by then it's going to need a few bits and bobs replaced and freshened up. Knowing that, I try to snag a remaining previous year model bike and work to get a good deal on it.

But mainly, I think most BMW dealers are used to dealing with emotional buyers who, in their mind, already own the bike and will bend over and take it to get it. If not you, then the next guy will. If you have to have the latest bike and then want to get out of it in a year, it's going to hurt a bit.

Reactions: Scurvy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You know that you get a refund for the pro-rata share of your extended/additional warranties, right? Yeah, the BMW Motorrad trade in dance is a tough pill to swallow. If you trade it you'll get the sales tax deduction on your new purchase. If you sell it yourself, you'll pay full sales tax on the new bike.

But $23K seems like a lot for a S1000RR. I know people that didn't pay that for an HP4. I bought a brand new, previous model year (2013) S1000RR in 2014 for $13.6K with every option on it. I got $15K for it from Allstate when I totaled it two years later in an energetic agricultural experience.

Perspective is tough to achieve on something like this but when you buy at full list and want out of it in a year. You didn't say how many miles are on your S1KRR or if it had any scuffs or scrapes. The dealer will replace anything not like new on it before they put it on the floor and have to factor that in. I tend to keep bikes until the factory warranty has expired and by then it's going to need a few bits and bobs replaced and freshened up. Knowing that, I try to snag a remaining previous year model bike and work to get a good deal on it.

But mainly, I think most BMW dealers are used to dealing with emotional buyers who, in their mind, already own the bike and will bend over and take it to get it. If not you, then the next guy will. If you have to have the latest bike and then want to get out of it in a year, it's going to hurt a bit.
I paid about $17K for the bike alone (it has every option and was the current model early in the season). The rest is wheel and tire insurance, extended warranty, tax (10% in WA) and registration (since last year, registration fees have skyrocketed to finance the light rail project). From $17 to $10 that's about 40% depreciation. The bike is in perfect condition.

I was not aware that when trading in there is a tax benefit. Will call around to see how this is handled in WA.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Excellent advice. Dealer offered me 18k for my car that I sold 3 months later for 34k. He was firm in that 18k bid, wouldn't budge. This is how dealers make money. So sell it yourself.

Or sell the RR yourself. Trade in values are always low. You want to sell it for what the dealer would eventually ask.

·
Super Moderator
724 Posts
I did what my dealer does when they are negotiating on a trade - I went on CycleTrader and looked at what the 2017 S1000RRs were priced at around the country. The average was about $16K. Now, that's the price listed, not sold.

I would not think that the S1000RR loses much value on year to year model changes since lately they've only been cosmetic. What is a bit sketchy about buying a "race bike" is that you you'll never know how it was treated but then that's the case for any motorcycle. Just a little more so for a bike that I frequently see at the track. Personally I don't think taking an S1000RR to the track should devalue it at all but a lot of people think that. Heck, my S1000RR saw frequent track days and it was still getting stronger and better with 10,000 miles and a couple of years on it. But that's all irrelevant vs. perception.

So let's walk through this. Let's say your bike would actually sell pretty quickly at $15K (in line with what we see across the country). You've got to deal with meeting buyers of unknown skill and intent and do you let them ride your bike or not? Do you go and follow them if you let them ride your bike? What's that risk worth to you? How often will you do that with people that just want a chance to ride an S1000RR? But OK, let's say you get lucky and sell it quickly to a motivated buyer and you net out $15K.

Now,on the other hand, let's say because you're standing there in the dealer with your checkbook in hand asking for $12K, but he'll only go to $11K on your trade. You're $4K apart on what you could sell it for yourself (assuming your hassle of selling is netted out).

Now let's say your new GS is a $20,000 purchase. What's sales tax in your state? In Maryland it's 6% or another $1,200. If I traded that bike for $11K here my sales tax on the new bike purchase would be $540. So right there you've lost $660 of the value of your private sale making it worth only $14,340.

You're going to get your money back out of the extended and extra warranties that you bought. I've done that on my K1600GT and an S1000RR. It's just prorated and no hassle and the dealer will even process that request for you and might even advance you that money and roll it over into the new warranties.

So now your differential to trade vs. sale is $3,340. That looks quite a bit different than saying I paid $23K and I'm only getting $10K.

In other words, just go buy the new GS and enjoy it in the piece of mind that it has a 3 year warranty on it and it's only ever been your baby.

Just tell them Wes sent you so I get more free stuff from them :)

·
Super Moderator
724 Posts
Oh, and one more thing - dealers make an insane amount of mark up on those extended and road hazard warranties. Most people don't think to still be in a negotiating mind when they sit down with the business guy filling out paperwork. I bought an additional 2 years, zero deduct on a K1600GT that was priced at $1,600 for $900. Just by making a counter-offer on the warranty. And believe me, they still made money on selling me that warranty.

Guys, please don't pay list for those warranties unless you feel strongly that your dealer is a charity that makes you feel good to support. Don't get me wrong - I love my dealer and feel like he and I are partners in my motorcycling joy. But we have an understanding. He doesn't try to rape me and I don't nickel and dime him until he's exasperated with me. I've bought 3 bikes from him in the last 6 years and will buy more before I'm done.

Reactions: Rick92040

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks @GrayBeard, you are making good points. I guess I was just not ready. Perhaps I was expecting the salesman to work with me and not just throw that number out, which came to me like a cold shower. They had an experienced salesman whom I could talk with, but he left. I know I sound like a kid complaining, and I am used to doing my homework; just this time I was unprepared.

·
Super Moderator
724 Posts
Thanks @GrayBeard, you are making good points. I guess I was just not ready. Perhaps I was expecting the salesman to work with me and not just throw that number out, which came to me like a cold shower. They had an experienced salesman whom I could talk with, but he left. I know I sound like a kid complaining, and I am used to doing my homework; just this time I was unprepared.
Believe me, I've been there. It's like getting ice cold water thrown on your woody so I'm speaking from experience.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts